Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a good discovery this weekend while nodding my brake lights. This should work for '12 and '13 taillights.

From reading other topics regarding converting to led brake lughts, you normally need to add load resistors to the brake light so the ecu doesn't disable traction control and cruise control thinking there is a blown brake light. The reason this happens is the led's pull much less current then incandescent bulbs.

The way you accomplish this conversion and can skip the load resistors is simple.

Since the top parking light bulb is only wired for the parking lights, and not also brake lights, do the mod to add brake light wire to the upper bulb. Then I used 4 total (2 each side, one upper, one lower) Sylvania zevo led bulbs for the parking/brake lights.

Even though your using led's with much lower current draw, you've now doubled the current draw and it must be enough not to trigger the blown bulb warning. And you gained some more safety by having 4 bulbs turn on when you brake versus only 2.

That's all for now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here's the trick I used on two 2011 Soul's which went from the standard lights to the 2012 facelift tail lights with the LED ring of lights.

Since all the ECU / CANBUS system needs to see is some current similar to that of the incandescent bulbs I attached a load resistor to the high mount brake light. I believe it's was this part: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/car-install-supplies/led-light-load-resistor-kit-led-turn-signal-hyper-flash-warning-fix/190/831/

I attached the load across the two wires feeding that bulb, built a bracket to support the resistor in the door frame, and re-attached the bulb assembly. I can try to provide pictures if needed.

There is no reason to put resistors at each light, one should suffice anywhere in the brake light system.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I was told also by the deal that the cluster can be replaced with the Supervision cluster and it will also allow leds not to hyperflash. < What the dealer said. Not sure how that works unless maybe it changes the way the ECU is handled. I wonder if this is true 1 and 2 if its the same with the gen 1's?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 soul + and installed leds for just my brake lights. All others are bulbs. Do i need a converter yet?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts