Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My EX Designer's Collection has a "leather wrapped" steering wheel. Oddly, it is hard as a rock and sort of uncomfortable. Also, as summer is upon us in the desert Southwest, touching a black steering wheel after work is pretty low on my list, down there with fixing plumbing.

I ordered this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IHT6ZJU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gray, Size M+. This was the perfect size for the Soul's steering wheel. If you don't want gray, go with black. The leather was high quality and thick, unlike some other steering wheel skins I have used.

I intended to get a time lapse of the process, but it was straight forward enough and my lighting was bad.

Here is the finished product:

Small gap where the 10 & 2 protrusions are. Most companies say measure the thickest part of the steering wheel. I find this makes for a baggy steering wheel cover. I rather have a couple of small gaps than a loose and saggy cover.

Bottom spoke was a little awkward but I think I did OK:

The 3 and 9 spokes are quite wide, and I had some material bunching up. I ran thread up and down the dummy stitches to kind of pull this tighter and keep it from billowing out. Worked well.

Overall, very pleased with the outcome. Took about an hour. A pair of tweezers and needle nose pliers really make this easier. My finger tips are a little tender. I have done the cross stitch before, but I don't think it is worth the 4 hours of my time!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Looks good I've done them on other cars I've owned and they really give a nice feel to the wheel. Don't think it would be good for me mine has a heated wheel

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Arggg! I've had cars with Leather interiors before, and leather wrapped steering wheels, and I can only say, "I hate it!"

Leather is porous and can soak up oils from your hands, and get really nasty with time. And, how are you going to clean it?

My own 'Padded' steering wheel is cool in the summer and warmer to the touch in the winter. And if I need to clean it, I can just pop it off, and throw it in the wash. And, if and when I get totally sick of it, I can pick up a new one at Walmart or any Auto Parts store, for about $19.95. Installation takes less than 5 min's and is very easy.

Finally, older and sometimes arthritic hands find a larger steering wheel much easier to Grip. And, hands like mine, that are temperature sensitive, find the padded steering wheel much more comfortable to grip during weather extremes.

This isn't my first Rodeo, so to speak. I've had a padded steering wheel on every one of my cars since 2000. That's 20 years of pure comfort! :)

Cheers mate!
Stay safe and stay healthy,
Blessings,
FLH :cool:

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,563 Posts
I'm looking for a pop-on leather cover. I've had stitch-on covers before and A) I'm too lazy to do that any more, and B) I don't like the gaps and slop.

My wife's 2001 PT has a leather cover, I like the feel of that cover. It hasn't discolored, it's still in great shape, no issues there at all. I'd be glad to have one just like it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts