Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all -

i reluctantly returned my 2014 Soul last month. The process was a huge drag - getting an appointment, getting someone to call me back, etc - but the reason I am posting is that they inspected it, handed me a piece of paper and called it a day. Now I have a letter that says I owe over $700 in wear & tear and restocking fees. I'm guessing the latter might have been in the fine print somewhere, but the wear and tear is insane - i put fewer than 12k miles on it over the 3 years and it was in great shape.

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this? I obviously no longer have the car to prove its condition was great.

Thanks a million for any help -

A

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
What was the piece of paper, usually the determination of what repairs you are responsible for is made when you hand the car back, not after the fact. Unless you agreed to this I would be inclined to tell them to take a hike.

Pat.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,683 Posts
Welcome thatgirl.

Check your original docs.

You should contact dealership management: the sales manager, general manager, or the owner. Often the owner won't know what sort of shenanigans are being perpetrated by the psychopaths and idiots he employs and who represent him, for better or for worse.

A letter to the editor of the local paper might stir some interest.

You may need to consult legal counsel. There are probably online services for issues such as this.
Also the local TV stations and occasional radio guys will help out, 7 On Your Side such people who are hongry for a good story.

At 12,000 miles over three years, unless you treat your cars like my sister does you'd probably have been better off buying it out and selling the car. Live and learn.

Best way to dispose of a lease is trade it before the lease period is up.

Best way to protect yourself is take lots of pitchers. If that car is on the lot, go by on a Sunday and take pictures. Or get a friend to test drive it and take pitchers. I'd guess this is a standard con that crooked (i.e. most) dealers use to suck more money out of customers they apparently never want to see again.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,802 Posts
Welcome thatgirl.

Sorry you decided to join us as you were getting rid of your Soul. My best advice would be to take a deep breath and try to let it go.

With all do respect, you must know that there is no way any of us can know what shape the Soul truly was in. I have friends who think they take "good" care of their cars. I think they look like crap. A few scratches, dings, stains etc to them qualifies as "my car looks great!"

So without knowing you, seeing any photos, or having any previous experiences with your posts (this is your very first), I'd say call it a day and move on. The more negative energy you pump into this, I promise you, is not worth $700.

Best of luck with your next car. I'm glad we could be here for you to vent

:tears_of_joy:

·
Registered
545 Posts
i reluctantly returned my 2014 Soul last month. The process was a huge drag - the reason I am posting is that they inspected it, handed me a piece of paper and called it a day.

Now I have a letter that says I owe over $700 in wear & tear and restocking fees. I'm guessing the latter might have been in the fine print somewhere...

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this?

Ahhh, it sounds like "the fine print" got ya!

Anytime you see "squint print" on a document,
that means it's time to become very alert, ask a ton of questions,
become informed.

Because if you decide to sign on the dotted line...
Then they got you to agree to THEIR TERMS.
Usually that's always in their favor.

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
Welcome thatgirl.

Sorry you decided to join us as you were getting rid of your Soul. My best advice would be to take a deep breath and try to let it go.

With all do respect, you must know that there is no way any of us can know what shape the Soul truly was in. I have friends who think they take "good" care of their cars. I think they look like crap. A few scratches, dings, stains etc to them qualifies as "my car looks great!"

So without knowing you, seeing any photos, or having any previous experiences with your posts (this is your very first), I'd say call it a day and move on. The more negative energy you pump into this, I promise you, is not worth $700.

Best of luck with your next car. I'm glad we could be here for you to vent

:tears_of_joy:
One time vent.

Here's some "fine print" on the current lease offers:

$0 lease-end purchase option fee
$400 disposition fee due at lease end unless customer purchases vehicle or decides to re-finance
Additional mileage charged at $.20/mile over 12,000 miles per year

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wow, I hope you get it worked out. I just leased mine because they were running a good deal and I wanted the low payment. I hope to buy it at the end of the lease.
If I were you I would call the dealer and talk with them and see if you can work out a deal, but if they can prove the legitimate contract you signed and costs for the "damage" you may just have to pay. A restocking fee is ridiculous especially since you have so few miles on it, they are going to make a pretty penny when they sell it.

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
Wow, I hope you get it worked out. I just leased mine because they were running a good deal and I wanted the low payment. I hope to buy it at the end of the lease.
If I were you I would call the dealer and talk with them and see if you can work out a deal, but if they can prove the legitimate contract you signed and costs for the "damage" you may just have to pay. A restocking fee is ridiculous especially since you have so few miles on it, they are going to make a pretty penny when they sell it.
You'll likely be contacted near lease-end with an early trade offer. What I would do is purchase a couple of months before the lease ends, it clears some of the clutter.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,802 Posts
Me thinks thatgirl (Marlo Thomas?) is a one & done. They have not responded or logged on since the original post.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts