Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my fiancee and I decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather this weekend and lay down the rally stripe I bought for frosty awhile back, here is how it went

First off I bought my decal on ebay, ran about 150 with shipping, 3M material and guaranteed

After doing some research on vinyl application methods I decided using a "Wet process" would be the best as it allows you to lay it down and re adjust if needed before squeegeeing (and committing) to the placement.

SO! We used painters tape to mark the center of the car and then to hold the decal in place while we pondered its placement MANY times... This step (especially for the ever precious) hood was time consuming but once this was down we could use it as a base reference point for the next parts.

photo (7).jpg

Our application process was to line it up, painters tape along a few sides of the decal (as shown above) the wet the car with a window tint application solution (bought at walmart for approx $10 - it included a squeegee and an exacto knife) I have heard of many people using a few drops of dish soap in a spray bottle too.

photo (6).jpg

After the car was wet we took off the backing from the decal, down went the decal, it was still move-able at this point so we could get it into a general position and shift it as needed. We then squeegeed the SOUL outta the suckers! we started gentle, making sure the decal didnt shift..then really worked all the solution out from under vinyl. Because of the wet process it is VERY important that all is removed from under it or there will be bubbles.

Once we were satisfied that all bubbles were removed (it was easy to feel for the most part if there were bubbles through the backing paper)we also wet the backing paper upon removal... this decreased tension on the decal when we took off the paper which also reduced the risk of part of it lifting up (and thus.. BUBBLES!)

photo (2).jpg

So this was our general process... just rinse repeat... Ha. ha. ha

It took us non decal-ers about 6hrs to do the whole car BUT well worth it, here are a few finale shots!

IMG_20120519_180120.jpg

photo.jpg

NEXT on pimp my frosty.. LED lights above the headlamps!

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,118 Posts
Look's great! Nice job on the install too! Even the dog was watching! LOL! :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have to say there are maybe 5 very small air bubbles over the whole car.. mostly on the roof because of the contours.. but I was very nervous about the possibilities of air bubbles but alas! hardly any!

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Very nicely written piece skally.

I love that colour choice on Vanilla Shake.......good job!

·
Registered
183 Posts
There is a source on Ebay that sells the genuine 3M stripe kit for $40. I installed the kit this weekend and it went great...except for where I thought I'd try the dry method. Fortunately, there was enough spare material that I could tear off the bubbled area and redo it. If it's like other vinyl I put down, any remaining bubbles should go away eventually (as the gas permeates through the surface you can press it down...bit by bit.)

I find it easier to remove the backing and just work with the vinyl directly...making sure to wet both sides of the vinyl. With the paper on it doesn't stretch as well and you need to stretch it to keep it straight and stop it from following the curves (like on the front of the hood.)

TIP: Whatever you do, don't get the paper backing wet. The vinyl will stick to it and be ruined (I wrecked a 4 foot section by doing that.)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Skally when I saw your Soul at Niagara I had no idea you had done the stripe yourself! Great Job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts