Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Kia Soul I'm wondering if I can run steel wheels with a larger center bore I think the guy said they're about 77 millimeter I've done it a lot of searching some say its ok some say its not I don't want to lug nuts brake off
Thank you
PS
Can l run say a 215 60 16 snow tire on that car?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I've mounted aftermarket wheels on a bunch of my cars.
I use hub rings(concentric rings)to fill in the difference in space.
Most aftermarket wheels come with proper rings to mount on a
specific car.
Don't see why rings would not work in your situation.
If you buy rings,do not get plastic. Metal(aluminum) are best.
Most auto parts stores handle them. Just figure out the size you need.
Yes, do not mount wheels without a proper fit at the hub.

The tire size you mentioned will work for a seasonal snow tire.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet....thanks.......if I can't find the 67.1 wheel l will look into the spacers
How do those things stay in the wheel?
Is it a press fit?
Wonder if there are any on e bay?
Or would say auto zone or advance auto carry them?
Good to know on the tire size too.
More options.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Sweet....thanks.......if I can't find the 67.1 wheel l will look into the spacers
How do those things stay in the wheel?
Is it a press fit?
Wonder if there are any on e bay?
Or would say auto zone or advance auto carry them?
Good to know on the tire size too.
More options.
Thanks.
The "spacers" you mentioned are called hub rings.
They press onto the hub of the vehicle. Actually,you
position the ring and evenly press(use a mallet)the round
rings onto the hub.
Its good to apply a non-seize compound on the hub before you press on the rings.
The hob rings are about 2" wide. They have a slight rise in the center to compensate
for the larger bore wheel.
Yes,Auto Zone or other chain auto stores handle. You need the measurement of the hub
on the Soul to get the right hub ring.
As I mentioned,when buying aftermarket wheels or wheels with a larger bore,the selling
company usually has the specs on the proper hub ring you need.
Perhaps a local wheel store can assist?
They would also have the hub rings.
I would not buy online unless you knew the exact size you need.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks, I know the KIA is a 67.1
the seller states the wheels he has are 1.5 bolt pattern with a 71.5 center.
but I don't have the wheels to be sure.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
ok thanks, I know the KIA is a 67.1
the seller states the wheels he has are 1.5 bolt pattern with a 71.5 center.
but I don't have the wheels to be sure.
If it were me,I'd figure the difference. Before you buy the wheels, get info on
the proper size hub ring needed to give you a tight fit.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Here's some good information on hub centric rings: The Skinny on Hub Centric Rings | thesquealingtire.com

You can not run hub centric rings with steel wheels due to the center bore construction, the ring will not seat properly. As noted in the article above though, wheels that are “Non Hub Centric” can be mounted without hub rings if the proper time and care is taken to center the wheel on the vehicle’s hub during installation.

As for the tires, tire size 215/60R-16 is a little on the tall side but it should work for you.

On a side note, the Soul does have 67.10mm hub pilot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
thanks, so id be safe using a steel wheel with a 71.5 mm c/b on the 67.1 hub of the soul?
it wont stress the lug nuts or nothing?
what would I torque the steel wheels to, and can I use the same lug huts from the alloy stock wheel?

OK so 225-60 16 would be taller yet?
I saw a thread where a few guys did go to the 225050 16, what do you think of that size?

EDIT

http://www.kiasoulforums.com/25-soul-tire-wheel/14053-upgraded-205-55-r16-225-60-r16.html
thanks

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Here's some good information on hub centric rings: The Skinny on Hub Centric Rings | thesquealingtire.com

You can not run hub centric rings with steel wheels due to the center bore construction, the ring will not seat properly. As noted in the article above though, wheels that are “Non Hub Centric” can be mounted without hub rings if the proper time and care is taken to center the wheel on the vehicle’s hub during installation.

As for the tires, tire size 215/60R-16 is a little on the tall size but it should work for you.
Thanks for the info.
I have run steel wheels in...? Can't remember when.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
The O.E. conical seat lug nuts should work just fine for you, @mrbreezeet1

Circling back to the tires, 225/60R-16 is pushing it and will likely rub. I don't suggest running anything larger than the 215/60R-16 size.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The O.E. conical seat lug nuts should work just fine for you, @mrbreezeet1

Circling back to the tires, 225/60R-16 is pushing it and will likely rub. I don't suggest running anything larger than the 215/60R-16 size.
Really? On the Soul?

I believe owners have run the 225 size for snow tires without problems.
I could be wrong.Seems as though there is enough room.
Members chime in.
I'd like to know.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
The 225mm width isn't the issue, it's the aspect ratio (60) for 16" that creates the issue. According to our fitment information at least, this tire is on the tall side.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks KIA Soul and discount tire.
...good to know I can safely run the oversized center hub steel wheels, using the stock wheel covers. (Lug nuts)
I can't find two more steel-ies with a 67.1 C/B..........but did find the 16's with a 71.5.
Two wheels for $30.00.
I looked at the used ones (tires) I spoke of in another thread for $40.00.....but the one was fair the other was only abt. 1/8".
I wasn't wasting $40.00 on those.....lol.

Discount t........do you happen to sell a good recap snow tire?
Thanks to you both.
Oh I had a line on some good used 2:25 all seasons I thought I would try actually two sets you know two different sets of 2, so that is something I may have to decide on giving a try or not. Again thanks to both of you for the information. On a side note, this thing where you talk into your phone and it prints is pretty cool especially for fat finger guys like me lol.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The 225mm width isn't the issue, it's the aspect ratio (60) for 16" that creates the issue. According to our fitment information at least, this tire is on the tall side.
I understand the 60 aspect ratio. I just put the 225 for short.
Many owners stretch the fitment(taller) for seasonal snow tires.
Yes,the speedo will be off. The Soul fenders allow for quite a bit of room.
Of course this would be a factor if the car was lowered.
Not a Soul lol.
Another car I own is a 350Z. With that car,size is critical. I run 19's a staggered
set up.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
HelloMr Breezeit you have been given advice on what you have posted but you have not posted the important details of the wheels you intend trying to fit.
The off set and drum/disc clearance. as well as the bore and centres of the 5 stud distances. The wheel suppliers and good will list all the wheel sizes that fit the Soul. The Soul models have different size wheels but all will fit any Soul a good website/supplier will recognise this. It is no good applying ring adaptors to your car 67.1 bore if you Want to swap with your original wheels.
Wheel suppliers do winter wheels in alloys ready for you to swap. They are inexpensive easy to clean wheels with your choice of winter tyres at a discount price ready for fitting. The may come with an adapter for wheel but this gives the wheel more adaptability to fit other models of car.

Jeff

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
71.5 is the C/B 114.3 is the bolt pattern and I think they are off a Chrysler.
Im going to call the guy in a bit.
I spent too much money on this Woman thus Far, I appericate the tire stores advise, but I cant afford new right now.
I would Like to support the sponsors but I can't afford it right now.
I have had to help her out Money wise too much as of late,,
I'll post the make model in a bit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I cant get a hold of the guy. In the Ad he said they are 114.3 so will fit Most GM (Wrong!)
But I asked him about it he wrote.
"To change
your opinion about GM, just go to myboltpattern.com and try
Chrysler Concorde'96 or something else from GM and
check. Incidentally what car year, brand and model do
you have?"

I didn't want to get into a Pi$$i#g contest with him, But we all know Chrysler is not GM.

But assuming it is indeed a 96 Chrysler Concord,
the off set is around 45 on that so It should be good.
Im gonna take a ride tonight and get the rims if He is around.
thanks,
Tony
PS
Yeah.......
just talked to the fellow,
Im going after them tonight.
Strong Italian, or possibly Greek accent, must have had his "Foreign" cars mixed up.....................LOL
But Yes, 96 Chrysler Concord, so according to link indeed offset is 43 to 45.....I should be good.
Sounds like a Nice guy too.
Its always a Pleasure to deal with a nice person on craigs list.
Pleasure to be here with the nice folks here too,
Again, thanks to all.
I'll let you all know how I make out.................:)

EDIT \
http://www.wheel-size.com/size/chrysler/concorde/1996/

1 - 20 of 23 Posts