Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had a solution for me. I bought my 2011 Kia Soul 1.6 from carmax a couple months ago. The trunk has the storage cover over it (the one you can lift and put other items under) when I place heavy objects on the cover it dips down in the middle due to lack of support in the middle. Am I missing a piece, or is this a common problem?

·
Registered
847 Posts
You would think Kia would have left a prevision for a dealer add on cover but no as the side panels are different. A real missed opportunity for Kia as they could have just had a a knockout of some sort for this.

Mark

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
ROFL !!!

Yeah, you're missing the spare tire. I've put 400# of concrete mix on mine and the tire supported it just fine.

Get a spare! That wheel well was designed to hold a full size spare. Mine works just fine.

Spare tire in place:

Cover placed over spare tire:

Good Luck
:cool:

Reactions: StangF150

·
Registered
847 Posts
Sorry but I thought you were asking about the cover that covers the rear compartment that you can lift up not the floor compartment.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
The 2012/13 models have a form tray under there on the plus and Exclaim. The base model came without any cover at all, just a well. If you do not have the foam support peice the cover is flimsy. Go to a junk yard and see if you can find an old foam insert. Otherwise, Techno has a good alternative if you are going to carry stuff on the floor back there.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would just go to Walmart or Home Depot and buy some boxes from them. They sell moving boxes that are pretty sturdy and cheap enough.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
If all you want is some cardboard, just do a little dumpster diving. You can get all you want for free.

For the really big ones, check out your local appliance store.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Even with the foam organizer the center is going to sag if you put anything with any kind of weight on it. You need the spare, or something similarly solid, underneath the foam to keep the center from deforming. I have the donut spare under mine, and I have carried 400 pounds of topsoil on top of it without any problem (other than the car being rear-heavy!).

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Even with the foam organizer the center is going to sag if you put anything with any kind of weight on it. You need the spare, or something similarly solid, underneath the foam to keep the center from deforming. I have the donut spare under mine, and I have carried 400 pounds of topsoil on top of it without any problem (other than the car being rear-heavy!).
I haven't experienced any sagging with mine, and I have loaded it up back there on a few occasions. One of those occasions I was hauling some concrete pipe anchor bolts to drop off on a road project on the way home, I could feel the bump stops on the rear suspension when going over dips in the road.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
if I want to take heavy weight and require the rear seats down, always place an appropriate size sheet of plywood over the area to help spread the load. The cargo floor will take far more weight than the seat backs, I'm not taking any chances.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I would just go to Walmart or Home Depot and buy some boxes from them. They sell moving boxes that are pretty sturdy and cheap enough.
Stop by the morgue and pick up a corpse.
They are sturdy and rigid and will support the area well.
You could also fill the vacant wheel well with redi mix or install a pool liner for a mobile spa.
So many possibilities, limited only by ones imagination...

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I haven't experienced any sagging with mine, and I have loaded it up back there on a few occasions. One of those occasions I was hauling some concrete pipe anchor bolts to drop off on a road project on the way home, I could feel the bump stops on the rear suspension when going over dips in the road.
I have. I carried 8 bags of readi-mix concrete back there and warped the cover. The warp is only now almost gone, a very long time since I added the spare to take up the weight. You may have had more of the weight distributed to the sides where there's edges to support the cover better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts