Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 14 Soul base, with 13587 miles on it has been taking close to 6 miles to reach the mid point of the heat gauge, this is where is has ran all summer and up until the past 2 weeks it only took 2 or 3 miles to warm up.
Even after reaching its running temp, I have to drive another 25 miles before the car interior has warmed up to a comfortable temp.
If I move the selector away from defrost, the windshield will frost back over.

Is normal for these small engine Souls ?

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,473 Posts
Hey red, whats the outside temp?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last few mornings is been between -19 F and -10 F with highs in the single digits, tonight its predicted to be -18 F with -40 to -50 wind chill.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well my 14 Soul is far better than the 95 Dodge dakoda I was driving before, that one took 50 miles to warm up even in the summer, heat in the cab was enough to keep from getting frost bite at best, and if it was below 0 F and I had cardboard blocking the grill and drove over 50mph it would start to freeze up, heat gauge would peg hot but no heat coming from heater coil.

·
Registered
7,473 Posts
I agree, with temps that cold it can take more time for the engine block to heat up. Have you tried turning the air conditioning on with the heat on high to clear the windows? I know they preach you don't need to warm cars up these days, but I would think about at least a 15 to 20 minute warm up while you run backinto the warm house.

Dang that's cold weather. The northwest was in the mid 50s today. I wouldn't mind some snow!

Best of luck Red!

·
Registered
122 Posts
That's why I keep meaning to get a remote start put in, first car in awhile that didn't have it. Just bought one for wife's birthday for her new car.
We've only been in the -2's or so, so not quite as bad as up North by you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I leaning to the thought of a stuck open thermostat, as I can let the car idle for 20 minutes before taking off and it still takes a good 6 miles at 45mph to 55 mph before engine heat gauge shows it up to operating temp.
This morning at 10:30am when I went out for my smoke break, which I have to drive off property to have a smoke, I drive .25 mile to smoking area, let car idle all the while, ( 20 minutes) and drive back to work site, and the air being blown out of heat vent is barely warm, and heat gauge still on the cold mark.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,163 Posts
none of this sounds normal to me, I get fantastic heat out of my Soul, its very rarely I have it dialed to the full red and not too often I take off first fan speed.
In the cold weather it gets to full normal engine temperature in about 4-5 km. I do not let my car idle long (30 seconds to a minute) before starting off driving gradually. It will idle longer if there is lots of snow/ice on it, just start (turning on the heated rear window and full defrost position) it first and then clear off the car. After cleaning the side windows, the hatch its generally almost clear and just takes a quick wipe and then the same when I get to the windshield where things are starting to loosen up.
When I get in the car, I turn on the heated seat (for which I can feel the heat within 1/2 km), while the engine gets up to temperature and then that's when I turn on the engine heater. Initially depending on outside temperature, I may turn it to full heat and full fan speed but most of the times I do no have to do that for long (recirculation switch on will speed this up, but if too long can create fogging), and then dial the fan speed back to first speed.
A/c needs to be on in winter to help in the defrost position cutting down on fogging and also removes moisture from the interior. If really bad then opening the window slightly will help improve conditions, also keep the recirculation switch off. Not sure on newer models but there is a defogging logic that can be set so that it can be turned off, which is not good, you need that a/c use in winter and also at the same time it helps keep the a/c unit it top use.

I do not have a block heater (maybe the op should get one installed), since owning the vehicle through 3 winters in my area. I've had temperatures as low as -30 to -35C with windchill's in the -40's to -45's C. I've never had any problems starting.

I do not see the point of a remote start, it serves no purpose, you still have to get out to your car and the car heats up way more quickly when you drive it. 2-3 minutes idling in extreme cold is plenty (or until you clear off the snow or ice if that is the case). Also excess idling is not good for the environment and just wastes fuel.

Quick test - after sitting all night note the temperature and just let your car idle and note how long it takes before it gets up to full operating temperature.
Another morning let it idle for a minute and then drive it away (turning on your heated seat) with heater off and see how quickly it gets up to full operating temperature, it probably won't be more than a few minutes which could vary depending on your speed and road conditions.

Just to clarify: - our typical range for this time of year is usually in the -10C to -20C range with just the odd time of extreme cold (to us) as I mentioned above but with the wind-chill it can add another -8 to -10C to that temperature and sometimes more. At present my outside temperature is -17C.
If I was living in some other parts of Canada I would probably have a block heater fitted. I had that in vehicles when we used to live in Alberta, but here in southern Ontario and haven't found the need.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Last two days it has been very cold in Connecticut, only reaching 17F today when I left it was 11F, coming home tonight 10F. I can honestly say my ! soul warmed up just slightly longer than normal, which is very fast. I have a 750 FT driveway, from the time of backing up, going down the driveway, and getting no more than 1/2 mile down the road there is medium heat, soon hot. As I have posted if I use Auto control, the fan does not go beyond the first notch till there is some warmth, and that is the distance to when the fan started going faster.
Within a minute or two of that the car is warm and very soon hot, nowhere near 25 miles, more like two to be very hot.
I don't know if -19 would make a bigger difference, maybe. And I think it's time to go to back to Tampa.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This lack of heat started back around the 1st of this month when the temp dropped to 0 and below, before that the car was up to operating temp within 3 miles and 5 minutes of idle time.
Which is leading me to think it may be a thermostat stuck open.
But due to the cold temps I have no way to change the thermostat without risking frost bite.

The windshield does not frost up on the inside of the car when the selector is turned off defrost, it is the outside of the windshield that is frosting back over, I always leave the air set to bring in fresh outside air unless its summer and I am using the AC. I once had the inside of the windshield frost up in the summer from the AC when I had it in the defrost mode.

As soon as I get a chance I am going to take the car to a shop and have them look into this problem, I would hope if is a malfunction it would be covered under warranty, if its just because its been so cold lately, well then there's nothing that can be done except move south out of the snow belt.

·
Registered
750 Posts
You definitely have the stat stuck open or a plugged heater core. Even if only stuck slightly open...in those cold temps you're lucky the car EVER warms up at all. Within minutes you should have 170 degree water coursing through the heater core. Even at 20 below, you feel heat. Something is definitely not right, my friend.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Your thermostat is probably fine. If your guage never came up to normal,then suspect it. I've had several 4 cyls and they hate 0 degree or below temps,esp if parked outside.

My '12+ gets up to 'normal' only if I'm driving about 35 mph or higher in 20f degree or less. If I sit idling and heater blowing,guage will drop to about 1/4 normal.

I once started my new '83 Olds Firenza (1.8) w/guage pkg on a 0 degree night and drove about 16 miles at 65 mph before temp reached 'normal'. When the 'stat opened,the guage dropped to about 1/3 with the rush of frigid coolant in the exposed radiator.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Temp this morning was 10F wind chill about zero. Started the Soul up parked outside, cleaned snow off total warm up time about 10 minutes with all controls set all the way clockwise. Car was warm enough by then I left coat in back seat and within 2 miles I backed the heat down and turned fan back to half and set to window and leg setting.

·
Registered
7,473 Posts
Red is dealing with minus 19F, thats way colder than a muggy 10F :)

If the car isn't garaged, it will probably take even longer. I wonder what the coolant range covers in a new Soul?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Red is dealing with minus 19F, thats way colder than a muggy 10F :)

If the car isn't garaged, it will probably take even longer. I wonder what the coolant range covers in a new Soul?
Oh I know there is a huge difference between 10F and -20F. We dipped down to -27F last winter and I got a radiator leak in my truck the same day. I don’t know if I froze up or not but those temps are not right for man or machine.

I just wanted to provide him another data point before he rips out his Tstat.

Good question about coolant range I will have to check mine.

·
Registered
171 Posts
With 35-40F weather, it generally takes mine about 5-6 miles (driving at 40 MPH) to reach the middle of the engine thermostat gauge. I can start to feel heat come through the vents after about 1.5 miles of driving from start-up.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts