Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 2020 S model in for the recall test of the piston rings....It passed!

On the way home, my Soul felt sluggish.. but, it was raining really hard (monsoon type of rain), so I though it may just have been the wet roads??

On the way to work this morning, 20 mile drive, I could definitely tell there was an issue. It felt as if I was running on about half power and the RPM's were ramping up while just holding the gas pedal steady. The RPM's went over 7000 going up one hill, but I didn't gain any speed. Seriously felt like transmission failure?!?! About the time I pulled into work, the engine light came on. It ran perfectly fine prior to the recall check.

I ran it up to AutoZone, they hooked their sensor reader up to it and it showed a P0326 error, which is the knock sensor. I called the Kia service dept and explained the issue and the error code.... They said it should have gone into "limp mode", but if I was able to hit 60 & 70mph, limp mode wasn't working properly and this may be why I felt I was running at half power?

I'm taking it back up there after work today, but with the holiday this weekend, I may not get it back until next week sometime :(

Does this sound right for "trying to go into limp mode"?

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,049 Posts
You mention driving 70 mph but also it felt like half power. Not sure I'm following you, but yes, if you have the CEL and it truly feels half power, that would be good as it's trying to limit damage.

The question is if the knock sensor tripped in error?

Sorry you have to go thru this. It's one more for the dumpster fire.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You mention driving 70 mph but also it felt like half power. Not sure I'm following you, but yes, if you have the CEL and it truly feels half power, that would be good as it's trying to limit damage.

The question is if the knock sensor tripped in error?

Sorry you have to go thru this. It's one more for the dumpster fire.
I made it to 70mph, but it had nothing more to give! I wouldn't have been able to pass anybody if I needed to.....So, I backed it down to 60, which still felt like it was straining to maintain (especially going up a hill), and let others pass me.

Yeah....I hope the sensor tripped in error and they don't just reset it, or adjust the sensitivity up a few notches and send me home with a faulty engine!

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
I made it to 70mph, but it had nothing more to give! I wouldn't have been able to pass anybody if I needed to.....So, I backed it down to 60, which still felt like it was straining to maintain (especially going up a hill), and let others pass me.

Yeah....I hope the sensor tripped in error and they don't just reset it, or adjust the sensitivity up a few notches and send me home with a faulty engine!
I hear you. It's kind of a Catch22 having an oversensitive knock sensor always ready to trip, but if you don't have it, Kia won't warranty the engine.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
If I had to guess they didn't plug it back in
The recall has you unplug the sensor and plug in the device that plugs into the tablet to interpret the noise reading from the sensor. Pop your hood, walk over to the passenger side and look down, the sensor plugs in kind of just below the intake. It's a tight squeeze between the overflow bottle and the intake to get at it, see if you see the plug just sitting there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I took my 2020 S model in for the recall test of the piston rings....It passed!

On the way home, my Soul felt sluggish.. but, it was raining really hard (monsoon type of rain), so I though it may just have been the wet roads??

On the way to work this morning, 20 mile drive, I could definitely tell there was an issue. It felt as if I was running on about half power and the RPM's were ramping up while just holding the gas pedal steady. The RPM's went over 7000 going up one hill, but I didn't gain any speed. Seriously felt like transmission failure?!?! About the time I pulled into work, the engine light came on. It ran perfectly fine prior to the recall check.

I ran it up to AutoZone, they hooked their sensor reader up to it and it showed a P0326 error, which is the knock sensor. I called the Kia service dept and explained the issue and the error code.... They said it should have gone into "limp mode", but if I was able to hit 60 & 70mph, limp mode wasn't working properly and this may be why I felt I was running at half power?

I'm taking it back up there after work today, but with the holiday this weekend, I may not get it back until next week sometime :(

Does this sound right for "trying to go into limp mode"?
i just posted ..same exact thing happened to me today...they left the o2 sensor loose.So apparently if your car goes into limp mode on the way home.
check the sensor

·
Registered
2020 GT-White
247 Posts
Which reminds me of that time someone at work made a mistake and I pointed it out.
They apologized for the incontinence. Happy Friday. :ROFLMAO:
That's actually part of what I do at work....catch other peoples mistakes, fix them and show them how to do it the right way. Of course...no one could die as a result of most of the corrections I make.....On the other hand.....a 3000 lb vehicle is another story.....Expect more....Expect better

·
Registered
3 Posts
OMG the same thing happened to my Soul. Took in for the recall last week and passed. I gas up for the first time since the recall today and turn my engine on and immediately the check engine light comes on. I check the code and it’s a P0326. I look on this forum and @bwdz75 advice is totally correct! The knock sensor wire is just dangling there!
So what do I do now? Do I just reconnect it myself or take it back to the dealer? Do I have to clear the code or would it just go away by itself? Any advice is highly appreciated. This is my first car and so not sure what to do.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
OK, sometimes, as the owner/driver of a car, we just have to take the bull by the horns, so to speak.

Me? I'd just plug the cable back in where it belongs, then fire up the engine, go to my Scan Gauge II, read the error code and reset it. Without the Scan Gauge, I'd go to one of the Auto parts stores that advertise that they will read and reset your error codes, and see if they will reset the code for you.
Hopefully that would take care of your problem, without you having to go back to the dealer. Just a thought!

:cool:

·
Registered
33 Posts
i just posted ..same exact thing happened to me today...they left the o2 sensor loose.So apparently if your car goes into limp mode on the way home.
check the sensor
Hi thanks. I was on the highway and didn’t feel any power loss. Weird part is the last 20 minute of the ride felt fine. But I am thinking it has to be related. Thanks …

·
Registered
2020 GT-White
247 Posts
OK, sometimes, as the owner/driver of a car, we just have to take the bull by the horns, so to speak.

Me? I'd just plug the cable back in where it belongs, then fire up the engine, go to my Scan Gauge II, read the error code and reset it. Without the Scan Gauge, I'd go to one of the Auto parts stores that advertise that they will read and reset your error codes, and see if they will reset the code for you.
Hopefully that would take care of your problem, without you having to go back to the dealer. Just a thought!

:cool:
I'm with ya.....If I can avoid the dealership...I do..

·
Registered
15 Posts
We had the recall check done on July 1. Yesterday the check engine light came on. Don't have a OBD2 scanner to check the code.

No drive-ability issues.

Looks as though the connector is connected. Have an appointment on Tuesday July 20 to have it checked.

Hope it makes it till then....

Jim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Kathy, wife, took the car for the service appointment yesterday. Of course on the way the check engine light went out. (I know the codes are stored.)

The tech wrote the code was P0304 miss fire cylinder 4. He/she cleared codes and test drove, light did not reappear.

The car spends most of its life at 8000 feet or higher altitude. The KIA dealer is in Denver (around 5000 feet).

Service writer said to use mid-grade or premium fuel.

Owners manual says use regular. What's going on here?

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Kathy, wife, took the car for the service appointment yesterday. Of course on the way the check engine light went out. (I know the codes are stored.)

The tech wrote the code was P0304 miss fire cylinder 4. He/she cleared codes and test drove, light did not reappear.

The car spends most of its life at 8000 feet or higher altitude. The KIA dealer is in Denver (around 5000 feet).

Service writer said to use mid-grade or premium fuel.

Owners manual says use regular. What's going on here?
Seems contrary to what pros say:

Research several years ago from the American Petroleum Institute showed that lower air pressure at higher altitudes allows vehicles to perform as well with 85 octane as they would with 87 at lower altitudes

Reactions: jimco
1 - 20 of 29 Posts