Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

Knock Sensor Detection System Update

65K views 179 replies 44 participants last post by  travelnurse1027 
#1 ·
Got a letter from Kia today telling me to go to a dealer to update the ECU software. It is to alert the driver at an early stage of bearing wear before the engine goes bang. They will extend the warranty on the engine short block to 10 ears or 120,000 miles. This is for 2014 - 2016 Souls with the 2.0 engine.

The letter say product improvement campaign, but sounds like a recall to me. Kind of a hassle to take the time to do it, but I will asap. I do like the extended warranty and hope to never use it.

#2 ·
Got a letter from Kia today telling me to go to a dealer to update the ECU software. It is to alert the driver at an early stage of bearing wear before the engine goes bang. They will extend the warranty on the engine short block to 10 ears or 120,000 miles. This is for 2014 - 2016 Souls with the 2.0 engine.

The letter say product improvement campaign, but sounds like a recall to me. Kind of a hassle to take the time to do it, but I will asap. I do like the extended warranty and hope to never use it.
It's too bad they didn't extend the 10 years to 12 as well. Do you think you'll have 120,000 + miles in 10 years Monster?

I kept thinking there was going to be a knock knock joke somewhere in your post.

Reactions: Kerig3
#3 ·
I kept thinking there was going to be a knock knock joke somewhere in your post.
Knock, knock.
Who's there?
Kia engine?
Kia engine who?
Kia engine...did you forget to update your ECU? Too bad for you...

No joke here, literally. 😩

Reactions: SoNic67 and GeoSoul
#4 ·

Monster, you've been selected to be the forum's guinea pig since you got your letter first. Please let us know how the update goes with a follow-up. Thanks!

#7 ·
Wait. What? There's a money tree? Why didn't you guys tell me about that? :)

Reactions: Kerig3
#10 · (Edited)
Also got the letter in the mail yesterday, called for an appointment this morning and will get this done tomorrow morning. Car was serviced recently, so this will be just the software update. My second hand '16 just rolled over 61,000 miles so I appreciate the short block coverage up to 120,000/10 years.

I wonder how common the rod bearing failure occurred? Hopefully the KSDS will keep the engine happy and safe.

#12 ·
So what is Kia's definition of "limited time" and "extended number of miles" in regards to once the MIL light is flashing? Under 5, 10, (less or more) miles? Drive to closest parking lot and call tow truck if you're not close to home?

#13 ·
The letter does not specify. I think as short as possible, call a tow and send it to the dealer. Hopefully it never happens.

Got this done today. Appointment at the dealer was 10:15, I got there just before 10. Asked them to change oil too. No problem, will take about 2 hours. Then he said maybe we should put you in a free rental, we might need to keep it a couple days. I balked at that and he asked if the check engine light was on. No. Maybe I should have accepted, I was there for 3 1/2 hours. At least it's done. They did knock 10% off the oil change, and my cost was $43.

#14 ·
Had it done this morning as well. Took 1.5 hours--that included a complimentary car wash (forgot that car was white--with the ash coming down it will look grey by the morning) and some interior detailing (they must have been bored or the dealer's regular car wash guy was on break).

Also hoping that the Soul never has to be in "limp home mode".

#18 ·
I thought I would've received this letter by now as I have a 2014 w/2.0L engine. I called Kia to check if the letter was ever sent out to me; they said no and that my VIN doesn't show that this service campaign affects my vehicle. Curious as to which 2014-2016 2.0 Souls this affects...or it's just a matter of time I receive the letter :confused:

#21 ·
That was kinda my assumption as well; but if we're to use that logic, why did it affect the 2015 and 2016s? Shouldn't it have applied to just the earlier production 2014s because they would've have changed production protocols after? That's just my simple logic...and that's not how car manufacturing works :D

#25 ·
Received my letter today (finally) for the Kia Product Service Campaign regarding Knock Sensor Detection System (KSDS) PI2002B ECU update. Interesting that it arrived two months later. Regardless, thankful to get it so I can get it done at the dealership soon.

#27 ·
Why doesn't the Powertrain Warranty cover it?

#33 ·
It's a 2015 kia soul redzone 2.0. it had a little over 64,000 miles on it. I took it to the dealership because when I bought it they gave me a bunch of gift certificates for oil changes and state inspections (6 years worth of inspections). The aftermarket warranty is a joke. It reminds me of one of those shady ones you see on daytime tv. When the motor went I took it to dealership so warranty people could inspect it. I got it back with all the plastic shields under motor missing, connecting rod bearings removed, bent oil pan, missing serpentine belt, dead battery, no oil or filter. I called and tried to get my parts back but got only greif. I do t have the few thousand to get a new motor. And it's funny kia sent the letter since I called kia and it's all on file with them. They gave me case with a case number (iirc they used my phone number). It took less than 5 mins for it to start making a slight noise till total failure. No oil light, no any lights! It's all very disappointing to say the least

#34 ·
Got my letter today; having the update done on Friday. I've got a 2015 with 25,000 miles. So while this update will be useful, it doesn't contribute to the car's reliability. I'm just supposed to cross my fingers that the limp mode won't come on when I'm 200 miles from home?

#36 · (Edited)
I got my letter this morning. To me this really feels like a lawsuit workaround "oh we warned you your car was about to self detonate - you should have walked", or maybe pin the cost of bearing wear and replacement on me before an entire engine replacement is needed and they end up having to pay out. If the new ECU update puts the car in limp mode, is subsequent repair work covered under powertrain? the letter seems to conveniently skirt around that. And didn't the original powertrain cover 10 years/100k miles anyway?

For what it's worth, my engine was replaced due to this issue about a year ago. Was covered by warranty - had a rental for about 3 months while the engine was shipped via cargo container. The dealer was hesitant to ever tell me what actually ended up happening to the damn thing. When I initially towed it in and I asked what ended up being wrong their answer was "Bad stuff - let's get you set up with a rental!" LOL They did go to great lengths to tell me I wouldn't have any new warranty on the new engine, which didn't make a ton of sense. 2015 Kia Soul! with ~40k miles at the time (think I'm hovering at 60k now)

#38 ·
I went to the dealer for an oil change a couple of weeks ago, and they did this knock sensor update. A few days later, my engine light goes on and I can't get any power out of the motor. Nothing in the owners manual about blinking engine light, so I take it back to the dealer. After a couple of hours they sent me home with a rental. A day later, I get the letter you all got a couple of months ago, which explains the car went into "limp home mode". It's been a week, and they are working with Kia to figure it out. Anyone else had this issue?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.