Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
✴️BING✴️ Toast's ready, pass the butter!
1,094 Posts
I'm assuming that you weren't charged for anything while at the dealer.
Not being upsold is a HUGE deal for me, but once you price out what a simple oil/filter change is going to be (along with the other services), you may reconsider your future plans. I'm able to get a full synthetic oil change at my local guy for $36, whereas a conventional oil change at my local Kia dealer STARTS at $45. A cabin air filter on Amazon is between $8 and $20 and is super easy to change yourself, and the dealer STARTS at $39.

I bought my 2016 a few months ago with 112,000 miles on it and it had never been to the dealer (always been serviced at the local guy or a quick lube place according to Carfax). I brought it in to get the recall done and also had them do all the missed major maintenance through 120,000 miles.
I had the coolant flushed and changed, spark plugs replaced, brakes serviced (front brakes rebuilt), oil and filter changed, tires rotated, and a complete maintenance inspection completed. I did this at the dealer to ensure that I a) wasn't going to run into any surprises with my new-to-me vehicle, b) get it as-close-to-new as I could, c) give it as much future life as I could, and d) get it on Kia's records that I had the maintenance caught up (was also reflected on Carfax). I changed the engine air filter and cabin air filter myself and let them know (they were kind enough to log is as if they had completed it)

I considered that $600 well spent (bit of an peace of mind insurance policy). I'll most likely go to my local guy for the oil filter/tire rotations for the next 50,000 miles or so, and then back to the dealer for the big stuff.

This thread is starting to veer off its original topic, so I'll be brief. Yes, cost will matter to me and of course I'm not going to spend unnecessarily on an oil change. Luckily we don't pile on the miles so I'll have the opportunity to look for coupons beforehand, from the dealership and local shops. But if the price difference is around $10-15 to guarantee that they'll use an OEM oil filter and replace that worrisome crush washer instead of lazily reusing it, I'll gladly pay it. 👍

·
Registered
537 Posts
This thread is starting to veer off its original topic, so I'll be brief. Yes, cost will matter to me and of course I'm not going to spend unnecessarily on an oil change. Luckily we don't pile on the miles so I'll have the opportunity to look for coupons beforehand, from the dealership and local shops. But if the price difference is around $10-15 to guarantee that they'll use an OEM oil filter and replace that worrisome crush washer instead of lazily reusing it, I'll gladly pay it. 👍
You are so right in so many ways about this. I see cars with tiny crappy filters from cheap oil change places and leaking or stripped out drain plugs or oil pans from re using the crush washer, you know "crush" implies once it is crushed you should not re use it.
One other thing, you guys mentioned that you can have your car serviced anywhere and the warranty cannot be voided, that is absolutely true. The thing is that if your car is just out of warranty and you need something and the dealer asks their DPSM to have a "goodwill" repair covered by Kia one of the first things they pull up is your service history and I can tell you that having your car regularly serviced and updates/recalls done at a dealership gets covered far more often than people who go elsewhere. That's just an observation from what I have seen, may or may not be true everywhere and you have the absolute right to service your car any way you like.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Today, the sequel hits my mailbox.

This time it is called a Safety Recall. NHTSA Recall# 20V750.
The good part is the short block waranty extends to 15 years or 150k miles.
So I'll take that.

Read for yourself. Does not specify which vehicles exactly, 2014 and 2015 Souls, and says "your vehicle" with the VIN.

Feb 2021 recall edit.jpg

·
Registered
✴️BING✴️ Toast's ready, pass the butter!
1,094 Posts
Today, the sequel hits my mailbox.

This time it is called a Safety Recall. NHTSA Recall# 20V750.
The good part is the short block waranty extends to 15 years or 150k miles.
So I'll take that.

Read for yourself. Does not specify which vehicles exactly, 2014 and 2015 Souls, and says "your vehicle" with the VIN.

View attachment 136052
I also received my second round letter today. I'll take the extra warranty since I'm a 2nd owner and was without one. I'll have it done after we get out of this deep freeze and some of the snow melts...they usually offer a free car wash and I'd like to enjoy a clean car for more than a couple of days. 😁

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got a letter from Kia today telling me to go to a dealer to update the ECU software. It is to alert the driver at an early stage of bearing wear before the engine goes bang. They will extend the warranty on the engine short block to 10 ears or 120,000 miles. This is for 2014 - 2016 Souls with the 2.0 engine.

The letter say product improvement campaign, but sounds like a recall to me. Kind of a hassle to take the time to do it, but I will asap. I do like the extended warranty and hope to never use it.
I did NOT get that letter at all 2015 soul just had engine replace due to metal in the oil pan and ticking. NOW I have a knocking sensor out and a brake sensor out!!! I went and had the last recall done for some computer thing. Where to find this letter?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got a letter from Kia today telling me to go to a dealer to update the ECU software. It is to alert the driver at an early stage of bearing wear before the engine goes bang. They will extend the warranty on the engine short block to 10 ears or 120,000 miles. This is for 2014 - 2016 Souls with the 2.0 engine.

The letter say product improvement campaign, but sounds like a recall to me. Kind of a hassle to take the time to do it, but I will asap. I do like the extended warranty and hope to never use it.
Never mind found your letter!

·
Registered
531 Posts
So, I just got my letter from Kia Canada for my 2014 today. 🤬 Envelope says Safety Recall. Letter says Product Improvement Campaign SC034. Talks about the KSDS Update for the rod bearing thingy and extending the warranty but with no mention to what degree.

There are 2 recalls that could include my 2014 on the Transport Canada Recall site. This one SC034 for 2014 2015 2016 Souls with 2.0L GDI for possibility of engine failure. ECM Update but not much other details.

And RC140. Affects more cars, 2 different engines, on more models. Includes 2014 and 2015 Souls with 2.0L GDI Nu. Great detail about possibility of fire and/or engine damage and KSDS Update for the rod bearing thingy, etc.

My VIN still shows no pending recalls on the Recall search at Kia Canada?? 🤯

Wonder how many will get the SC034 Letter and how many will get the RC140 letter in Canada?? 🤓🤔
So, I got the 2nd letter for the RC140 Safety Recall today. It goes into much more detailed information including extending the warranty to 10 years/ 200000km from original service date.

Also, searched my VIN on the KIA Canada Recall search page. It shows the RC140 pending for my car. Still does not show the SC034 though. So, the Product Improvement Campaign is NOT a recall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I didn't get the 1st letter or 2nd letter, probably because I have a 1.6L engine in my 2014 Soul. However, I got the "PI2002A ECU UPDATE (KSDS-1.6L GDI)", and PI200 is very similar to the SC200 in the letter.

Now, I didn't ask for the ECU update. I actually contacted the dealership because they sent me a cute card saying "We want your Soul", literally, as a trade-in sales gimmick. That, and I wanted to get my headlamp, multi-function switch replaced under extended warranty.
I wanted to get the switch replaced because it had drained my battery a couple of times. I scheduled an appointment for Feb 1st.

When I arrived, the service guy asked if I had a check engine light (CEL). I said yes. He proceeded to tell me about Recall SC176, for Catalytic Overheating Protection (COP), and that if the code for the light was P0420, they would replace the catalytic converter for good will. Less than an hour later, he told me that was the case and put me in a rental car.

I returned on Feb 5th to pick my car up. He said they replaced the switch and the catalytic converter, and did a Product Improvement update.

A couple weeks later, I got the flashing check engine light and limp mode while driving on the highway. Fortunately traffic was light. I got off the highway and limped home and found that the code was P1326. I did a quick search for the code and found a simple this simple explanation
and figured it was related to the Knock Sensor Detection System (KSDS) EDU update on the work order from the previous visit.

I called the service guy and he identified limp mode over the phone and told me to bring it in without an appointment. I limped to the dealer and, again in less than an hour, I was told that they didn't know what to do because there was no knocking, but still the code indicated knocking. He said they would have to work with TechLine to figure out what to do next but the system was going to be down for the rest of the day. I wasn't told why.

"One dealership we spoke with acknowledged that there was malware in-play and also mentioned that they couldn't process customer orders or even look up detailed information on check engine light codes."

Regardless, I agreed to be shuttled home because I didn't know what else to do. I didn't hear anything for three days. I was giving them time to get their systems up. Today, he called me back late and told me that the P1326 Knock Sensor issue had nothing to do with the SC176 recall or them replacing the catalytic converter. We agreed on that much. He said I would have to pay $400 to have the technician check the rod bearings. I tried to explain that even though the PI200 ECU update was in the same section as the comments about replacing the catalytic converter that we should focus on the PI200 ECU update for the KSDS. He reiterated that the bearing check was the next step to getting my car back. I asked to speak with the service manager. She said that if it's not the bearings then the Knock Sensor would be replaced under the warranty. If it is the bearings, then the engine needs to be replaced. I told her I had to think about it and would call her back before they closed at 5:30. I called back and was sent to voice mail.

What would you do?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Use the warranty. If the engine needs replaced, it should be covered.
Sorry, I don't know what warranty the service manager was talking about. The car is out of warranty, which is why they want to charge me $400 to diagnose the bearings to see if they are in tolerance, even though I was originally told there was no knocking.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
I think it's 100,000 miles on the drive train to the first owner, or 60,000 to later owners. Guess you have a lot of miles.
Good luck with getting it fixed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just thought to go looking and found a letter on the internet related to 2012-2016 MY Kia Soul vehicles equipped with the 1.6L Gasoline Direct Injection (“GDI”).
I don't remember receiving such a letter. Most posts I've seen were for 2.0L engines. Anyone else get one for a 1.6L engine?
BTW, this Soul is over 145k miles. Got over 118k on the first engine. This second engine only had 28k then.

·
Registered
537 Posts
First I am going to pay a compliment to your dealer and make an excuse for them and then I am going to throw them under the bus. The excuse is that the Kia servers went down for 10 days and we were unable to access information or even scan cars properly with factory tools etc... so it was difficult to get answers and impossible to get warranty or recalls approved. The compliment is that according to your receipt your cat converter was not covered because the update was installed before it failed, this is over a $1k repair so they reached out to their DPSM and got it approved for you on Goodwill. They did you solid on that one by going to bat for you. The throwing them under the bus part is that a bearing clearance test pays 0.6 to 0.7 hours under the recalls or warranty depending on the engine and car model so let's just say the proper charge for out of pocket would be 1 hour labor or so, where did they come up with $400, not sure what else they were going to do. 2nd part of throwing them under the bus is not knowing what to do if a customer returns with p1326 flashing light after the update. I am a tech at a dealer and did 100s of those updates before I had one return with a problem but I heard about it on here first so I knew what to do. They are supposed to reach out to Techline, run the bearing test at no cost to you, if it passes they will be given a pin code to download and manually install a version of the software that is just for the situation you are experiencing. Kia engineered this recall and knew some cars might not respond correctly. They have solutions you just need the dealer to do their part. Now go back to the dealer armed with this information, keep in mind they did go to bat for you on the converter and their access to the system was down so give them a chance to do it right, sounds like they are willing to help just didn't know how.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you!!! They quoted 3 hours @130 for the bearing clearance test so I rounded up to 400. I'm definitely not going to fault the local people for the corporate systems being down.

·
Registered
537 Posts
They were probably thinking they just need more diagnostic time if it passes the bearing test. A dealer that went to bat for you on the converter issue sounds like a good dealer that has their customer's best interest in mind. If they aren't aware of the other software just let them know that the service manager would have been the only one to receive the notice in an email along with the labor op code for it etc.. They will need to reach out to techline, as you can imagine after the outage of 10 days it is very backed up so it may take you leaving the car for a day or two for them to start and complete the case. One other thing here, I have never had this issue with a 1.6 just one car with a 2.0 so I am quite confident the same remedy exists for your engine but I cannot be certain. Be patient with them, they covered a $1k repair for you so they are alright in my book.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
I am a tech at a dealer and did 100s of those updates before I had one return with a problem but I heard about it on here first so I knew what to do.
Thanks for your contributions here BW. (y)

This comment reminds me how you mostly only hear problems on the forums.
My Soul has been running like a happy hamster. Or something. Peppy. :p

101 - 117 of 117 Posts