Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Very odd...the recall highlights the knock sensor detection software as part of the solution to the problem, but the recall is only for 2014-15 Souls. Why, then, does the "product improvement campaign" for the software cover additional model years? Are the two problems not connected? If they are, why aren't all model years being recalled?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Sorry, first a Chevy Colorado, but had to switch it out now a VW Tiguan, just picked it up.
That's pretty good, our dealer's budget is $40 per day, which only affords a Nissan Versa. I dread the day this thing blows up, however at 3k miles per year, it won't be soon.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I dread the day this thing blows up, however at 3k miles per year, it won't be soon.

Yep! I'm at 11K in 5 1/2 years(y) With the pandemic...well...ain't going too far!:LOL:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got the letter on 11/24. My, purchased used, 2014 2.0 has 166K miles. The engine is always buzzy when it hits 2500 + rpm. I wonder if that's the rods?
Anyway, I wonder what they will do for me if I go into limp mode? No warrantee, that's for sure. I see myself getting the download and then driving out of the dealer and going right into limp mode.
I just putter around town (mostly)with the car so I wonder if I will be shooting myself in the foot by getting the download. I wonder what it would cost me to do the short block before the destruction . I guess you can't just do the rod bearings from the oil pan. At least not correctly.
If I made it this far could I be one of the lucky ones? The car does mysteriously use oil at 1qt. per 1500 mi.
Mine went into limp mode on the way home from getting the update. I went right back. They then factory defaulted the computer and "said" they put the update again. It seems to work fine now but how can I be sure they did put the update back? I have lost confidence.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After going into limp mode, mine has been at the dealer for about a month, and they said it could be another month or two before they find a solution.
They factory defaulted mine after the update because it went into limp mode and said they installed the update again. No confidence they did but I have the paperwork and hope that if something does happen that they back up the extended warrenty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine went into limp mode on the way home from getting the update. I went right back. They then factory defaulted the computer and "said" they put the update again. It seems to work fine now but how can I be sure they did put the update back? I have lost confidence.
Hi MCB,
Thanks for sharing your story. I have not gone for the update yet but, I feel when I do I'll be following in your footsteps. My engine seems to buzz more than any car I've ever owned.
The upcoming engine/fire recall (RCAK-20V750-7971.pdf (nhtsa.gov) eludes to testing the Kia engine and searching for fuel and oil leaks, etc. with the possibility of fixing or replacing engines. Makes me ponder if maybe some blocks are cracking. "The sky is falling, the sky is falling"

·
Registered
100 Posts
My concern is what the update does to preserve the engine? When the car is out of the extended warranty and the light comes on- what will need to be done? A short block?

·
Registered
310 Posts
My concern is what the update does to preserve the engine?

Seems like only a warning of immediate failure! No saving it from the damage done! (parts anyone?)
Lot of Luck! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
530 Posts
It can save it from self destructing and throwing a rod through the block but by the time yours is knocking you will need to do the crank and bearings at minimum and a short block is probably the better idea unless it still has stellar compression and no oil consumption. Best thing to do is to follow your maintenance schedule and check oil at every fill up like the manual instructs you to. It is very rare that I see one come in knocking that has good maintenance records.

·
Registered
531 Posts
So, I just got my letter from Kia Canada for my 2014 today. 🤬 Envelope says Safety Recall. Letter says Product Improvement Campaign SC034. Talks about the KSDS Update for the rod bearing thingy and extending the warranty but with no mention to what degree.

There are 2 recalls that could include my 2014 on the Transport Canada Recall site. This one SC034 for 2014 2015 2016 Souls with 2.0L GDI for possibility of engine failure. ECM Update but not much other details.

And RC140. Affects more cars, 2 different engines, on more models. Includes 2014 and 2015 Souls with 2.0L GDI Nu. Great detail about possibility of fire and/or engine damage and KSDS Update for the rod bearing thingy, etc.

My VIN still shows no pending recalls on the Recall search at Kia Canada?? 🤯

Wonder how many will get the SC034 Letter and how many will get the RC140 letter in Canada?? 🤓🤔

·
Registered
✴️BING✴️ Toast's ready, pass the butter!
1,091 Posts
Had my update performed today. Fingers crossed that it never kicks into limp mode. 🤞

It was my first time visiting the dealership service department since purchasing my Soul in July 2019. I was impressed. Easy in-and-out, organized garage, friendly & knowledgeable service manager and a free car wash! 😁 They also performed a detailed complimentary multi-point inspection and informed us that our 6 year old OEM tires still had plently of life and tread and the brake pads still had plenty of pad left to them, which was something I had wanted to know. No attempt at upselling at all!

This all took around a half an hour which gave my wife and I a chance to sample the new models in the showroom. I'm now leaning to using the dealership for oil changes and maintenance. Sure, the dealership is further away than the shop I normally use, but there's no reason why I can't use both for maintenance/repairs in the future. 👍

Reactions: mjhammer

·
Registered
Inferno Red 2015 Soul +, Shadow Black 2016 Soul +
68 Posts
I had mine done the other day when they were diagnosing the starting problem, and I'll get the other Soul done with the next oil change. Hopefully things will run the same. I use the dealership for all maintenance until the warranty is over. This way, they have all records needed for any claims. I learned the hard way with a denied claim through Hyundai (although the dealer covered it anyway).

·
Registered
460 Posts
So, I just got my letter from Kia Canada for my 2014 today. 🤬 Envelope says Safety Recall. Letter says Product Improvement Campaign SC034. Talks about the KSDS Update for the rod bearing thingy and extending the warranty but with no mention to what degree.
We received our letter yesterday. That is four months after MonsterSoul reported having received such a letter in the USA.

I love the detailed explanation for what to do if post-software update, the ECU detects an issue and starts to restrict RPMs. -hehe-

We will try to get this done within the next week or so.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
This way, they have all records needed for any claims. I learned the hard way with a denied claim through Hyundai (although the dealer covered it anyway).
You can always do what I did, along with the previous owner of our car, and start a free Carfax account for your vehicles. They have a section where you can keep maintenance records for each vehicle where your mechanic's shop can upload your invoice to after each job done. Some shops do this automatically, but if they don't you can "invite" them to join or you can simply create your own entries and scan/upload your printed receipts. This way you have all your records in one place which is backed up to the cloud.

But the best benefit of using Carfax's tool happens when you go to sell or trade-in your car and all of your car's maintenance records are in your car's Carfax report. It's what sold me on my Soul! Our car was one of the only cars that had a maintenance history included on its Carfax report, and it included all work done from the day it drove off the lot. I was even aware of when the battery was replaced, along with each and every oil change. Just from its Carfax report alone I knew just how well the previous owner took care of the car, and after buying the car I was able to edit and add to the previous owner's maintenance history as the new owner since the records are stored using you car's VIN. You might want to try it out.

Reactions: HomerJay

·
Registered
641 Posts
You can always do what I did, along with the previous owner of our car, and start a free Carfax account for your vehicles. They have a section where you can keep maintenance records for each vehicle where your mechanic's shop can upload your invoice to after each job done. Some shops do this automatically, but if they don't you can "invite" them to join or you can simply create your own entries and scan/upload your printed receipts. This way you have all your records in one place which is backed up to the cloud.

But the best benefit of using Carfax's tool happens when you go to sell or trade-in your car and all of your car's maintenance records are in your car's Carfax report. It's what sold me on my Soul! Our car was one of the only cars that had a maintenance history included on its Carfax report, and it included all work done from the day it drove off the lot. I was even aware of when the battery was replaced, along with each and every oil change. Just from its Carfax report alone I knew just how well the previous owner took care of the car, and after buying the car I was able to edit and add to the previous owner's maintenance history as the new owner since the records are stored using you car's VIN. You might want to try it out.
I've also been keeping me and me wife's car records via Carfax for years now. It really is a nice tool - you can add VIN numbers to your garage and see maintenance logs. But it's my understanding that DIY entries are not seen in a Carfax reports; only dealer/shop entries?

·
Registered
Inferno Red 2015 Soul +, Shadow Black 2016 Soul +
68 Posts

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. Although, I do drive all of my cars into the ground. The person that gets them after me is the junkyard. (y)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
But it's my understanding that DIY entries are not seen in a Carfax reports; only dealer/shop entries?
Where did you see that? Was it stated in a FAQ or is it an assumption?

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have separate MyCarfax accounts, and I've entered the VIN numbers of the vehicles I manually add records (DIY entries) to, and those don't appear in the service history; only the dealer/shop entries.

·
Registered
2016 MT
15 Posts
I'm now leaning to using the dealership for oil changes and maintenance. Sure, the dealership is further away than the shop I normally use, but there's no reason why I can't use both for maintenance/repairs in the future. 👍
I'm assuming that you weren't charged for anything while at the dealer.
Not being upsold is a HUGE deal for me, but once you price out what a simple oil/filter change is going to be (along with the other services), you may reconsider your future plans. I'm able to get a full synthetic oil change at my local guy for $36, whereas a conventional oil change at my local Kia dealer STARTS at $45. A cabin air filter on Amazon is between $8 and $20 and is super easy to change yourself, and the dealer STARTS at $39.

I bought my 2016 a few months ago with 112,000 miles on it and it had never been to the dealer (always been serviced at the local guy or a quick lube place according to Carfax). I brought it in to get the recall done and also had them do all the missed major maintenance through 120,000 miles.
I had the coolant flushed and changed, spark plugs replaced, brakes serviced (front brakes rebuilt), oil and filter changed, tires rotated, and a complete maintenance inspection completed. I did this at the dealer to ensure that I a) wasn't going to run into any surprises with my new-to-me vehicle, b) get it as-close-to-new as I could, c) give it as much future life as I could, and d) get it on Kia's records that I had the maintenance caught up (was also reflected on Carfax). I changed the engine air filter and cabin air filter myself and let them know (they were kind enough to log is as if they had completed it)

I considered that $600 well spent (bit of an peace of mind insurance policy). I'll most likely go to my local guy for the oil filter/tire rotations for the next 50,000 miles or so, and then back to the dealer for the big stuff.

81 - 100 of 116 Posts