Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anybody else have the thought that Kia failed to "turn on" the knock detection circuitry? Hence, the campaign to turn it on.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Got my ECU updated today. Took about 30 mins.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I received the letter for my 2015 2.0L ECU knock sensor upgrade (recall) and it took about 1-1/2 hours the get it serviced at the dealer. I had no issues before, but the car only has 9,300 miles on it. I heard about engine failures in other Souls. I hope everyone survived this issue.
NOT a recall, a product improvement campaign is designed to avoid a formal recall.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
It is a recall. "Product improvement campaign" is a marketing term, designed so you could limp your car to the dealership and not get stuck on the side of the road. Warranty is crappy though, on 2.4 and 2.0 turbo engines, they upped the warranty to lifetime/unlimited miles. Took a bunch of lawsuits though, so there is still hope for Soul owners.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Took a bunch of lawsuits though, so there is still hope for Soul owners.

That's all we have is hope for our Soul!:p

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got the letter on 11/24. My, purchased used, 2014 2.0 has 166K miles. The engine is always buzzy when it hits 2500 + rpm. I wonder if that's the rods?
Anyway, I wonder what they will do for me if I go into limp mode? No warrantee, that's for sure. I see myself getting the download and then driving out of the dealer and going right into limp mode.
I just putter around town (mostly)with the car so I wonder if I will be shooting myself in the foot by getting the download. I wonder what it would cost me to do the short block before the destruction . I guess you can't just do the rod bearings from the oil pan. At least not correctly.
If I made it this far could I be one of the lucky ones? The car does mysteriously use oil at 1qt. per 1500 mi.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I wonder if I will be shooting myself in the foot by getting the download.

It's amazing your Soul made it to 166K! Yep! you are probably on borrowed time. Of course, we all are!o_O
The Limp Mode Letter is actually to protect Kia..not us! :confused:

·
Registered
105 Posts
More generally, I wonder whether it's a good idea to get this update at all if you're not going to benefit from the increased warranty mileage. My 2016 + has fewer than 30,000 miles, and I'm never going to make it anywhere close to 100,000 miles, much less 120,000. Do I really want to get a software update that could itself end up causing problems? I don't feel that I have much to gain. Having the car go into limp mode is only slightly less disruptive than having my engine grind to a complete halt. Either way, the warranty should cover it. Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hi tmport, I'm in a similar position with only 11K on my 2015. Think I'll wait for some serious issue requiring a trip to the Kia dealer.
Don't need them selling me stuff I don't need. Are you missing something?:unsure: Well, we'll see how this plays out.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,474 Posts
More generally, I wonder whether it's a good idea to get this update at all if you're not going to benefit from the increased warranty mileage. My 2016 + has fewer than 30,000 miles, and I'm never going to make it anywhere close to 100,000 miles, much less 120,000. Do I really want to get a software update that could itself end up causing problems? I don't feel that I have much to gain. Having the car go into limp mode is only slightly less disruptive than having my engine grind to a complete halt. Either way, the warranty should cover it. Or am I missing something?
I'm wondering if it's a Catch 22 situation?

If you don't get the update & something even remotely related goes wrong, they could deny coverage based on you not getting appropriate updates in a timely manner.

Then if you do get the update, you may possibly have to deal with that cluster?

To limp, or not to limp, that is the question :unsure: :unsure:

Reactions: Kerig3

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you don't get the update & something even remotely related goes wrong, they could deny coverage based on you not getting appropriate updates in a timely manner.
Legally, I wouldn't think they could invalidate the underlying warranty just because you didn't participate in their "product improvement campaign." If they'd wanted to make it a recall, that's one thing, but they chose not to, probably for PR reasons.

To be honest, I'm not expecting Kia to stand by their warranty if my engine develops problems because I do my own maintenance. I keep decent records, and I'll certainly try to get anything covered, but I won't be shocked if they deny. I'm assuming, perhaps naively, that most of these engine problems are caused by people inadvertently allowing the oil level to drop too far (though I think we've seen some examples on here that seem to contradict that). Hopefully that'll inoculate me against any serious problems... :oops:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Legally, I wouldn't think they could invalidate the underlying warranty just because you didn't participate in their "product improvement campaign."
Maybe because you did not do all recommended maint? Like the software update? Idk. :unsure:
I just went and got it done pronto.

To limp, or not to limp, that is the question
I thought Tanya Harding answered that one, do you need her to visit you? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Maybe because you did not do all recommended maint? Like the software update?

This software update is not a Fail Safe..or is it? Let's see how many get saved by this Limp Mode warning:unsure:
Maybe just consider a Blackstone oil analysis somewhere down the line...(y)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Another recall for engine fire just announced which include knock sensor ECU software update expected to begin in January.
Makes/Models/Model Years: KIA/FORTE/2012-2015 KIA/FORTE KOUP/2012-2015 KIA/OPTIMA HYBRID/2011-2013 KIA/SORENTO/2012-2013 KIA/SOUL/2014-2015 KIA/SPORTAGE/2012
All 2014-2015 MY Soul vehicles equipped with 2.0L Nu Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) engines produced from July 21, 2013 through May 21, 2015.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCAK-20V750-7971.pdf
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCLRPT-20V750-5519.PDF

·
Registered
5 Posts
After going into limp mode, mine has been at the dealer for about a month, and they said it could be another month or two before they find a solution.

·
Registered
311 Posts
HankC Thanks for the recall information (PDFs) So, guess they will look for leaks:unsure: and do the Knock Sensor updates.
Hope they allow us time to get it done. Like maybe after my Covid shot works! ;)

61 - 80 of 117 Posts