Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a letter from Kia today telling me to go to a dealer to update the ECU software. It is to alert the driver at an early stage of bearing wear before the engine goes bang. They will extend the warranty on the engine short block to 10 ears or 120,000 miles. This is for 2014 - 2016 Souls with the 2.0 engine.

The letter say product improvement campaign, but sounds like a recall to me. Kind of a hassle to take the time to do it, but I will asap. I do like the extended warranty and hope to never use it.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,405 Posts
Got a letter from Kia today telling me to go to a dealer to update the ECU software. It is to alert the driver at an early stage of bearing wear before the engine goes bang. They will extend the warranty on the engine short block to 10 ears or 120,000 miles. This is for 2014 - 2016 Souls with the 2.0 engine.

The letter say product improvement campaign, but sounds like a recall to me. Kind of a hassle to take the time to do it, but I will asap. I do like the extended warranty and hope to never use it.
It's too bad they didn't extend the 10 years to 12 as well. Do you think you'll have 120,000 + miles in 10 years Monster?

I kept thinking there was going to be a knock knock joke somewhere in your post.

Reactions: Kerig3

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
822 Posts
I kept thinking there was going to be a knock knock joke somewhere in your post.
Knock, knock.
Who's there?
Kia engine?
Kia engine who?
Kia engine...did you forget to update your ECU? Too bad for you...

No joke here, literally. 😩

·
Registered
822 Posts

Monster, you've been selected to be the forum's guinea pig since you got your letter first. Please let us know how the update goes with a follow-up. Thanks!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think you'll have 120,000 + miles in 10 years Monster?
It's a 2014 with 82,xxx miles. So, another 37,000+ miles in 3 years and change.
I will most likely hit the 10 years first. Even if I use it for another road trip or 2 to Arkansas to see my Grandsons in that time.

Yes, I will update when I get the work done. I hope to run this car for a few more years.

It's kind of a pain timing wise. The car is about due for service anyway. The bike is due for an expensive 18,000 mile service including valve adjustment. Wifes car due for oil change, house needs a roof or maybe another roof bandaid. The money tree out back died. :rolleyes:

Here's the letter.

Attachments

·
Registered
822 Posts
It's kind of a pain timing wise. The car is about due for service anyway. The bike is due for an expensive 18,000 mile service including valve adjustment. Wifes car due for oil change, house needs a roof or maybe another roof bandaid. The money tree out back died. :rolleyes:
When it rains it monsoons, doesn't it?
Our money tree died years ago. 😢

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,405 Posts
Wait. What? There's a money tree? Why didn't you guys tell me about that? :)

Reactions: Kerig3

·
Registered
822 Posts
Wait. What? There's a money tree? Why didn't you guys tell me about that? :)
It's more of a bush than a tree and sadly they don't live long enough to make a difference. 😢

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's more of a bush than a tree and sadly they don't live long enough to make a difference.
I hear you have to spring for accountants and shysters, err lawyers, to tend them so they grown big, live long and prosper.
The problem is those bass turds, err people, want a lot of money. It's one of those catch 22 things. No win. :cautious:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Also got the letter in the mail yesterday, called for an appointment this morning and will get this done tomorrow morning. Car was serviced recently, so this will be just the software update. My second hand '16 just rolled over 61,000 miles so I appreciate the short block coverage up to 120,000/10 years.

I wonder how common the rod bearing failure occurred? Hopefully the KSDS will keep the engine happy and safe.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Called a couple minutes ago and got an appointment for tomorrow at Simi Valley Kia.
Not the closest dealer to me but I'll be in the area for a job.
Glad to make such a speedy appointment.

·
Registered
597 Posts
So what is Kia's definition of "limited time" and "extended number of miles" in regards to once the MIL light is flashing? Under 5, 10, (less or more) miles? Drive to closest parking lot and call tow truck if you're not close to home?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So what is Kia's definition of "limited time" and "extended number of miles" in regards to once the MIL light is flashing? Under 5, 10, (less or more) miles? Drive to closest parking lot and call tow truck if you're not close to home?
The letter does not specify. I think as short as possible, call a tow and send it to the dealer. Hopefully it never happens.

Got this done today. Appointment at the dealer was 10:15, I got there just before 10. Asked them to change oil too. No problem, will take about 2 hours. Then he said maybe we should put you in a free rental, we might need to keep it a couple days. I balked at that and he asked if the check engine light was on. No. Maybe I should have accepted, I was there for 3 1/2 hours. At least it's done. They did knock 10% off the oil change, and my cost was $43.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Had it done this morning as well. Took 1.5 hours--that included a complimentary car wash (forgot that car was white--with the ash coming down it will look grey by the morning) and some interior detailing (they must have been bored or the dealer's regular car wash guy was on break).

Also hoping that the Soul never has to be in "limp home mode".

·
Registered
822 Posts
(forgot that car was white--with the ash coming down it will look grey by the morning)
😢
Please stay safe over there.

Reactions: vangone

·
Registered
831 Posts
120k will be nice. I have a 2015 with 65k!

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
This makes me even more nervous about my 2016 +.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I thought I would've received this letter by now as I have a 2014 w/2.0L engine. I called Kia to check if the letter was ever sent out to me; they said no and that my VIN doesn't show that this service campaign affects my vehicle. Curious as to which 2014-2016 2.0 Souls this affects...or it's just a matter of time I receive the letter :confused:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I haven't gotten a letter yet either. And when I log into the Kia Owners site, it shows no pending "Campaigns." Shrug.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Interesting that only certain 2.0 engines are apparently affected--is it dependent on when they were made or which crew was on shift when the engines were assembled/installed?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts