Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
You can let the oil in the engine even for 100k miles, after all it's your money... You'll save $30 on oil. And void the warranty, sludge the engine. Sludge can happen to any vehicle, regardless of the car’s age or mileage.
I guess that's OK if you will find a poor SOB to sell it after 3 years.
https://www.europeanautotech.net/tech-articles/engine-sludge

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I know this is a "Repeat" of something I've posted sometime in the past five and a half years, but I say it again just for the benefit of our NEW members.

I hope that by now Kia has fired that @#^$ who wrote that, "most Kias are operated under Normal conditions".
And then he failed miserably to define "Normal". And I've been reading a lot about the Kia Soul since I first joined this Forum and nowhere, absolutely NOWHERE, have I ever read the definition of "Normal". It doesn't exist!

However, what does exist is the definition of "Severe" and I can't think of anyplace in the US or Canada or any driver in those countries that does not fall into the "Severe" category.

Here's what the Kia Soul Owners Manual says about what constitutes "Severe Usage".

Severe.jpg
Click the pic to enlarge it for easy reading.

When I first read this, almost six years ago, I went right to my Kia Service Manager with the question "what is Normal?". He told me that to him, every car in Florida should be considered to be operated under "Severe" conditions. Because of all the salt and sand that is absolutely EVERYWHERE. And I was reminded of all the gravel roads that are so prevalent Up North. Gravel (limestone) dust is very much like Florida Sugar Sand. And when the wind blows, both will rise up in clouds, and it gets into everything. And it's SO fine, that it can easily pass right through dry paper filters.

In spite of all the good information that IS provided by Kia, like the chart shown above, some drivers will, in spite, go with the so-called Normal schedule. (shuddering violently)

For My entire adult life, I've been involved in machine Maintenance. With proper cleaning, lubrication, and adjustments, most machines can run for over 50 years.
I've actually seen machines that have been running for more than 100 years, but not without good maintenance.
I just did an overhaul on a fifty year old vacuum cleaner, and today it's working just like new again.

Unfortunately, cars are not designed to last that long, but they can, with aggressive maintenance* My own little Kia Soul, gets the very best maintenance that I can afford to give her.
* Good maintenance will also include replacing parts when they have worn to the point of no longer being safe. Belts, hoses, brakes and tires all fall into that category.

Maintenance is a subject that is near and dear to my heart, so I hope y'all will forgive me being so vocal on the subject.

"Happy trails to you", and Happy Cinco de Mayo!

FL Hamster :cool:

I just went to the link in SoNic67's last post, and I found this quote, from an "Expert".

"Problem is normal driving conditions do not exist in the real world.

Most drivers drive under severe driving conditions definitions, under which more contaminants are produced. If you drive in hot or cold weather, in dusty or muddy conditions, on rough roads, in lots of stop and go traffic, make frequent short trips, and/or drive in coastal areas or where road salts are used, you are a severe driver."

·
Registered
597 Posts
I guess some people see the cars like consumable items. Gotta have a new one every three years. Manufacturers absolutely love those people.

I am driving cars from 2000 and 2001, only my wife gets to drive one from 2011. All cars paid in full, and I intend to keep those cars as long as possible. Doing a little bit of maintenance doesn't bother me. The sound of the engine with fresh oil is so satisfying!
Simple car maintenance it actually relaxes me, like fishing or golf does for others. Manufacturers hate people like me.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
It's not strange or weird or whatever, but when my Soul has fresh oil and a dash of "special sauce", and even a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner, she really perks up and has a little extra kick to her step. That means that my Zero to 60 drops by several seconds, and my MPG raises some too.

And as an added benefit, I save my Soul's drain oil for misc. lubricating jobs around my house and shop. Waste not, want not.

Cheers Mates!
:cool:

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Pretty sure the air filter would capture any air born salt. Yup, an extreme stretch of the imagination at best.
There's all kinds of crazy bullshit that people have posted in here since I posted this original thread 6 or 7 years ago, whenever it was. I've worked on cars for more than 30 years and there's all kinds of stupidity in here. People "feeling" their car running better after changing the oil. Using color to determine how worn out fluids are. ETC. It's all freaking delusional. The "severe" stuff was meant to essentially give the dealers cover when they tried to push the old 3000 mile oil changes on you. My Kia - I'm the original owner - is now up to almost 150k miles using the "severe" schedule and guess what? The engine hasn't blown up. Nothing bad has happened. I change the oil every 6-7k miles, but I use synthetic so if I forget by a thousand miles or so it doesn't matter. An oil analysis from Blackstone confirmed you can easily go 10k miles on synthetic with these cars, regardless of what type of "severe" driving you're doing (I live in the mountains).

Personally, I couldn't care less if people change their oil every 3k miles. If they want to waste their money, have at it. But don't pretend you're somehow more righteous than everyone else going 7500 miles or that your car is going to last longer. All you are doing is spending more money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would also agree - and using synthetic oil also decreases time required to change oil. I also highly suggest transmission drain/refills!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Pretty sure the air filter would capture any air born salt.
Can you show me a picture with an air filter full of salt? When you drive in the rust belt, it's plenty of salt in the air - either as a salty mist or straight up salt, when that water evaporates and leaves a fine salt powder on the roads. In Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland I saw it getting airborne by the air currents made by cars in front of me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
1. Scheduled Maintenance Intervals:
The Kia Owner ’s Manual identifies “Normal” and “Severe” maintenance schedules:
Recommending oil changes or other maintenance or preventative services at more frequent
intervals is not necessary and increases the cost of Kia ownership. The “Normal” maintenance
schedule is applicable to most Kia vehicles in use in the United States.

2. Fuel Injection (Induction) Cleaning / Flushing:
This is not a Kia recommended or required maintenance procedure. Targeted cleaning should
be used if, due to unusual circumstances, the system has found to be contaminated. If a vehicle
is experiencing fuel system contamination it should be diagnosed and repaired following factory
recommended procedures. Refer to TSB FUEL 010 for Throttle Body Cleaning. For instances
where the Kia recommended fuel (a TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline) is not available/not used, see
information about Kia’s recommended fuel additive in TSB FUEL 022 and below:
"TECHRON® Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner" is now Kia-approved and
recommended for complete fuel system cleaning during routine service intervals as
preventative maintenance (for late model vehicles, refer the vehicle owner to the
maintenance section of the owner’s manual). A 12-ounce bottle will safely treat up to
12 gallons of gasoline, and can be used in all gasoline engine types, including MPI or
GDI systems. TECHRON® Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner should be used at
every standard oil change interval (7500) miles, if TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is
not available. TECHRON® Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner effectively cleans
fuel injectors, intake valves, combustion chambers, and protects critical fuel system
components from corrosion and sulfur content in fuel. This product will not harm emission
control systems and will not leave behind harmful combustion chamber deposits.

TSB: GEN 058 All Models November 2012
Page 2 of 2

SUBJECT:
SERVICES AND PRODUCTS NOT RECOMMENDED BY KIA

3. Flushes/Additives/Conditioners for:
‡ Engine Oil
‡ Transmission Fluid
‡ Power Steering Fluid

May cause and/or contribute to component failures and any expense to repair those components,
following such non-recommended flushes/additives, would not be covered by the Kia warranty.
Today’s lubricating oils and Automatic Transmission Fluids are engineered to provide full
protection in between the Kia recommended oil changes and do not require additives.

4. Brake Fluid Flush:
Brake fluid should only be replaced during certain brake system repairs or as recommended in
the maintenance schedule in the Kia Owner’s Manual. More frequent replacing or system flushing
is not necessary and not recommended.

5. Nitrogen Tire Fill:
This service appears to add little, if any, appreciable value to Kia customers. Tires should be filled
with dry compressed air using the specifications listed on the driver’s door jamb plate or in the
Kia Owner’s Manual. Dry compressed air already contains approximately 80% nitrogen. Keeping
tires properly inflated with dry compressed air is sufficient to keep the tires in good condition
throughout their useful wear life.

For the latest information about TOP TIER Detergent Gasolines plus a list of retailers, please visit
the official website: Top Tier Gasoline.

Edit by Rodville: Here is the link to the actual TSB so you can print it out. www.soulhamsters.com/Install Manuals/TSB GEN 058.pdf
[/QUOTE]
Apparently Kia has come to their senses and announced that most vehicles are normal, not severe.

Let's see if I can make this work:

Circulate To: X General Manager X Service Manager X Parts Manager
X Service Advisor(s) X Technician(s) X Body Shop Manager X Fleet Repair
File Under: <General>

GROUP MODEL
General All Models

NUMBER DATE
058 November 2012

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
SUBJECT:

This bulletin provides information relating to certain services and practices not recommended by Kia,
that can have adverse consequences while providing little, if any, appreciable benefit to our customers.
Providing aftermarket additives/conditioners and products or services that are not recommended
by Kia, including flushing lubricating oil and hydraulic fluid systems, increases vehicle maintenance
expenses and overall cost of ownership, while possibly reducing your dealer’s long-term opportunities
to perform required vehicle maintenance.

Following are several examples of non–recommended procedures and products, as well as Kia’s
recommendation for appropriate actions:

1. Scheduled Maintenance Intervals:
The Kia Owner ’s Manual identifies “Normal” and “Severe” maintenance schedules:
Recommending oil changes or other maintenance or preventative services at more frequent
intervals is not necessary and increases the cost of Kia ownership. The “Normal” maintenance
schedule is applicable to most Kia vehicles in use in the United States.

2. Fuel Injection (Induction) Cleaning / Flushing:
This is not a Kia recommended or required maintenance procedure. Targeted cleaning should
be used if, due to unusual circumstances, the system has found to be contaminated. If a vehicle
is experiencing fuel system contamination it should be diagnosed and repaired following factory
recommended procedures. Refer to TSB FUEL 010 for Throttle Body Cleaning. For instances
where the Kia recommended fuel (a TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline) is not available/not used, see
information about Kia’s recommended fuel additive in TSB FUEL 022 and below:
"TECHRON® Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner" is now Kia-approved and
recommended for complete fuel system cleaning during routine service intervals as
preventative maintenance (for late model vehicles, refer the vehicle owner to the
maintenance section of the owner’s manual). A 12-ounce bottle will safely treat up to
12 gallons of gasoline, and can be used in all gasoline engine types, including MPI or
GDI systems. TECHRON® Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner should be used at
every standard oil change interval (7500) miles, if TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is
not available. TECHRON® Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner effectively cleans
fuel injectors, intake valves, combustion chambers, and protects critical fuel system
components from corrosion and sulfur content in fuel. This product will not harm emission
control systems and will not leave behind harmful combustion chamber deposits.

TSB: GEN 058 All Models November 2012
Page 2 of 2

SUBJECT:

3. Flushes/Additives/Conditioners for:
‡ Engine Oil
‡ Transmission Fluid
‡ Power Steering Fluid

May cause and/or contribute to component failures and any expense to repair those components,
following such non-recommended flushes/additives, would not be covered by the Kia warranty.
Today’s lubricating oils and Automatic Transmission Fluids are engineered to provide full
protection in between the Kia recommended oil changes and do not require additives.

4. Brake Fluid Flush:
Brake fluid should only be replaced during certain brake system repairs or as recommended in
the maintenance schedule in the Kia Owner’s Manual. More frequent replacing or system flushing
is not necessary and not recommended.

5. Nitrogen Tire Fill:
This service appears to add little, if any, appreciable value to Kia customers. Tires should be filled
with dry compressed air using the specifications listed on the driver’s door jamb plate or in the
Kia Owner’s Manual. Dry compressed air already contains approximately 80% nitrogen. Keeping
tires properly inflated with dry compressed air is sufficient to keep the tires in good condition
throughout their useful wear life.

For the latest information about TOP TIER Detergent Gasolines plus a list of retailers, please visit
the official website: Top Tier Gasoline.

Edit by Rodville: Here is the link to the actual TSB so you can print it out. www.soulhamsters.com/Install Manuals/TSB GEN 058.pdf
Ive used nothing but Shell 87 octane fas in my car for the 10 years of owning it and i get my oil changed with synthetic blend motor oil every 3,000 miles as i do a lot of stop and go driving for work with my car. 130,000 miles later and my 2010 kia soul runs smooth as hell. My local Kia dealer keeps trying to get me to trade it in for a new one LOL.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts