Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
You can let the oil in the engine even for 100k miles, after all it's your money... You'll save $30 on oil. And void the warranty, sludge the engine. Sludge can happen to any vehicle, regardless of the car’s age or mileage.
I guess that's OK if you will find a poor SOB to sell it after 3 years.
https://www.europeanautotech.net/tech-articles/engine-sludge

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I know this is a "Repeat" of something I've posted sometime in the past five and a half years, but I say it again just for the benefit of our NEW members.

I hope that by now Kia has fired that @#^$ who wrote that, "most Kias are operated under Normal conditions".
And then he failed miserably to define "Normal". And I've been reading a lot about the Kia Soul since I first joined this Forum and nowhere, absolutely NOWHERE, have I ever read the definition of "Normal". It doesn't exist!

However, what does exist is the definition of "Severe" and I can't think of anyplace in the US or Canada or any driver in those countries that does not fall into the "Severe" category.

Here's what the Kia Soul Owners Manual says about what constitutes "Severe Usage".

Severe.jpg
Click the pic to enlarge it for easy reading.

When I first read this, almost six years ago, I went right to my Kia Service Manager with the question "what is Normal?". He told me that to him, every car in Florida should be considered to be operated under "Severe" conditions. Because of all the salt and sand that is absolutely EVERYWHERE. And I was reminded of all the gravel roads that are so prevalent Up North. Gravel (limestone) dust is very much like Florida Sugar Sand. And when the wind blows, both will rise up in clouds, and it gets into everything. And it's SO fine, that it can easily pass right through dry paper filters.

In spite of all the good information that IS provided by Kia, like the chart shown above, some drivers will, in spite, go with the so-called Normal schedule. (shuddering violently)

For My entire adult life, I've been involved in machine Maintenance. With proper cleaning, lubrication, and adjustments, most machines can run for over 50 years.
I've actually seen machines that have been running for more than 100 years, but not without good maintenance.
I just did an overhaul on a fifty year old vacuum cleaner, and today it's working just like new again.

Unfortunately, cars are not designed to last that long, but they can, with aggressive maintenance* My own little Kia Soul, gets the very best maintenance that I can afford to give her.
* Good maintenance will also include replacing parts when they have worn to the point of no longer being safe. Belts, hoses, brakes and tires all fall into that category.

Maintenance is a subject that is near and dear to my heart, so I hope y'all will forgive me being so vocal on the subject.

"Happy trails to you", and Happy Cinco de Mayo!

FL Hamster :cool:

I just went to the link in SoNic67's last post, and I found this quote, from an "Expert".

"Problem is normal driving conditions do not exist in the real world.

Most drivers drive under severe driving conditions definitions, under which more contaminants are produced. If you drive in hot or cold weather, in dusty or muddy conditions, on rough roads, in lots of stop and go traffic, make frequent short trips, and/or drive in coastal areas or where road salts are used, you are a severe driver."

·
Registered
551 Posts
I guess some people see the cars like consumable items. Gotta have a new one every three years. Manufacturers absolutely love those people.

I am driving cars from 2000 and 2001, only my wife gets to drive one from 2011. All cars paid in full, and I intend to keep those cars as long as possible. Doing a little bit of maintenance doesn't bother me. The sound of the engine with fresh oil is so satisfying!
Simple car maintenance it actually relaxes me, like fishing or golf does for others. Manufacturers hate people like me.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
It's not strange or weird or whatever, but when my Soul has fresh oil and a dash of "special sauce", and even a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner, she really perks up and has a little extra kick to her step. That means that my Zero to 60 drops by several seconds, and my MPG raises some too.

And as an added benefit, I save my Soul's drain oil for misc. lubricating jobs around my house and shop. Waste not, want not.

Cheers Mates!
:cool:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Pretty sure the air filter would capture any air born salt. Yup, an extreme stretch of the imagination at best.
There's all kinds of crazy bullshit that people have posted in here since I posted this original thread 6 or 7 years ago, whenever it was. I've worked on cars for more than 30 years and there's all kinds of stupidity in here. People "feeling" their car running better after changing the oil. Using color to determine how worn out fluids are. ETC. It's all freaking delusional. The "severe" stuff was meant to essentially give the dealers cover when they tried to push the old 3000 mile oil changes on you. My Kia - I'm the original owner - is now up to almost 150k miles using the "severe" schedule and guess what? The engine hasn't blown up. Nothing bad has happened. I change the oil every 6-7k miles, but I use synthetic so if I forget by a thousand miles or so it doesn't matter. An oil analysis from Blackstone confirmed you can easily go 10k miles on synthetic with these cars, regardless of what type of "severe" driving you're doing (I live in the mountains).

Personally, I couldn't care less if people change their oil every 3k miles. If they want to waste their money, have at it. But don't pretend you're somehow more righteous than everyone else going 7500 miles or that your car is going to last longer. All you are doing is spending more money.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts