Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Apparently Kia has come to their senses and announced that most vehicles are normal, not severe.

Let's see if I can make this work:

Circulate To: X General Manager X Service Manager X Parts Manager
X Service Advisor(s) X Technician(s) X Body Shop Manager X Fleet Repair
File Under: <General>

GROUP MODEL
General All Models

NUMBER DATE
058 November 2012

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
SUBJECT:
SERVICES AND PRODUCTS NOT RECOMMENDED BY KIA

This bulletin provides information relating to certain services and practices not recommended by Kia,
that can have adverse consequences while providing little, if any, appreciable benefit to our customers.
Providing aftermarket additives/conditioners and products or services that are not recommended
by Kia, including flushing lubricating oil and hydraulic fluid systems, increases vehicle maintenance
expenses and overall cost of ownership, while possibly reducing your dealer’s long-term opportunities
to perform required vehicle maintenance.

Following are several examples of non–recommended procedures and products, as well as Kia’s
recommendation for appropriate actions:

1. Scheduled Maintenance Intervals:
The Kia Owner ’s Manual identifies “Normal” and “Severe” maintenance schedules:
Recommending oil changes or other maintenance or preventative services at more frequent
intervals is not necessary and increases the cost of Kia ownership. The “Normal” maintenance
schedule is applicable to most Kia vehicles in use in the United States.

2. Fuel Injection (Induction) Cleaning / Flushing:
This is not a Kia recommended or required maintenance procedure. Targeted cleaning should
be used if, due to unusual circumstances, the system has found to be contaminated. If a vehicle
is experiencing fuel system contamination it should be diagnosed and repaired following factory
recommended procedures. Refer to TSB FUEL 010 for Throttle Body Cleaning. For instances
where the Kia recommended fuel (a TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline) is not available/not used, see
information about Kia’s recommended fuel additive in TSB FUEL 022 and below:
"TECHRON® Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner" is now Kia-approved and
recommended for complete fuel system cleaning during routine service intervals as
preventative maintenance (for late model vehicles, refer the vehicle owner to the
maintenance section of the owner’s manual). A 12-ounce bottle will safely treat up to
12 gallons of gasoline, and can be used in all gasoline engine types, including MPI or
GDI systems. TECHRON® Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner should be used at
every standard oil change interval (7500) miles, if TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is
not available. TECHRON® Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner effectively cleans
fuel injectors, intake valves, combustion chambers, and protects critical fuel system
components from corrosion and sulfur content in fuel. This product will not harm emission
control systems and will not leave behind harmful combustion chamber deposits.

TSB: GEN 058 All Models November 2012
Page 2 of 2

SUBJECT:
SERVICES AND PRODUCTS NOT RECOMMENDED BY KIA

3. Flushes/Additives/Conditioners for:
‡ Engine Oil
‡ Transmission Fluid
‡ Power Steering Fluid

May cause and/or contribute to component failures and any expense to repair those components,
following such non-recommended flushes/additives, would not be covered by the Kia warranty.
Today’s lubricating oils and Automatic Transmission Fluids are engineered to provide full
protection in between the Kia recommended oil changes and do not require additives.

4. Brake Fluid Flush:
Brake fluid should only be replaced during certain brake system repairs or as recommended in
the maintenance schedule in the Kia Owner’s Manual. More frequent replacing or system flushing
is not necessary and not recommended.

5. Nitrogen Tire Fill:
This service appears to add little, if any, appreciable value to Kia customers. Tires should be filled
with dry compressed air using the specifications listed on the driver’s door jamb plate or in the
Kia Owner’s Manual. Dry compressed air already contains approximately 80% nitrogen. Keeping
tires properly inflated with dry compressed air is sufficient to keep the tires in good condition
throughout their useful wear life.

For the latest information about TOP TIER Detergent Gasolines plus a list of retailers, please visit
the official website: Top Tier Gasoline.

Edit by Rodville: Here is the link to the actual TSB so you can print it out. www.soulhamsters.com/Install Manuals/TSB GEN 058.pdf

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, so I'm replying to my own thread. Only to keep the TSB from getting cluttered :p

I'm glad they came out and clarified this. 3700 mile oil changes on a 2012-2013 vehicle is ridiculous, especially one that's used for 90% interstate cruising. Now on my wife's car I usually do 5-6k oil changes, whenever I think of it, because I don't often see where she's at on gas mileage. But I am glad that there has been a clarification of this, because that's where it needs to be.

And I say it's ridiculous not on gut feelings, but what loads of data based on oil analysis (i.e Blackstone Labs) reveals about oil age - there are actually some disadvantages to changing oil too rapidly, as some metal loading is accelerated on the brand new set of detergents in fresh oil. You can read a ton of oil analyses on bobistheoilguy.com.

On a side note, I bet the writeup on nitrogen filled tires will really piss off the dealers, as they had a $90 markup on both of the Kias I bought for nitrogen in the tires.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I had it but couldn't figure out for the life of me how to post the picture version, so I just copied the text.

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
Yeah, I had it but couldn't figure out for the life of me how to post the picture version, so I just copied the text.
thought I'd back you up with the actual proof - I guess I should have done that earlier when I just posted that small text section on the other thread on oil changes ;) I get the feeling this TSB is going to get posted many times over various threads and forums. :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I live in New England where we have snow and ice and at times the roadways have sand and salt spread over them when it is icey out. Having read the owners manual as it relates to maintenance it states that the use of salt on the roadways makes the car fall into the severe category. As such the recommendation for oil changes is every 3,000 miles. How does the use of salt on the roadways put my Soul into the severe use category for oil changes? I am at a loss of logic for this statement.:confused:

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
I live in New England where we have snow and ice and at times the roadways have sand and salt spread over them when it is icey out. Having read the owners manual as it relates to maintenance it states that the use of salt on the roadways makes the car fall into the severe category. As such the recommendation for oil changes is every 3,000 miles. How does the use of salt on the roadways put my Soul into the severe use category for oil changes? I am at a loss of logic for this statement.:confused:
I am at a loss that you think otherwise - doesn't those conditions dictate that the weather is severe? :think It's just giving you samples "driving in areas using salt or other corrosive materials or in very cold weather"

·
Registered
244 Posts
Here's my SWAG. When all that salt dries up, it probably gets ground up into a fine dust and dispersed into the air. It is then sucked into the engine where some of it mixes with the oil, eventually helping to break down the oil or makes the oil slightly abrasive from the salt minerals in it.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Wouldn't it be more important to get the salt off the undercarriage of your car to prevent corrosion? And it that sounds stupid please forgive me as I live where we don't usually get snow.

You are correct, corrosion is the main issue. The use of salt/chemicals on roads has absolutely nothing to do with oil change intervals. There are many factors, heated garage, short or long commutes etc. which dictate normal/severe oil change intervals.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Here's my SWAG. When all that salt dries up, it probably gets ground up into a fine dust and dispersed into the air. It is then sucked into the engine where some of it mixes with the oil, eventually helping to break down the oil or makes the oil slightly abrasive from the salt minerals in it.
An extreme stretch of the imagination at best.

·
Registered
192 Posts
At my next oil change I will ask the service department to explain to me exactly, as described in the service manual, how does the use of salt or other corosives on our roadways mandates that the maintenance requirement for oil changes be classified under the severe category.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I think the salt plays a role in the severe category because when you are servicing your car, you are supposed to be doing more than just changing the oil. The car is supposed to be getting a thorough inspection.

*Air*cleaner*element*
*Cooling*system
*Drive*shaft*and*boots*- Lubricate front and rear driveshaft u-joint
*Drive*belts
*Battery*condition*
*Brake*fluid
*Brake*lines,*hoses*and*connections*
*Brake*pedal*and*operation
*Chassis/body*nuts*and*bolts*
*Drum*brakes*and*linings**
*Disc*brakes*and*pads*
*Exhaust*pipe*and*muffler