Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished a very lengthy Kia Soul survey for J. D. Power regarding reliability and service. Questions were not just on the vehicle but included where it was maintained. If service was at a Kia Dealer there were numerous questions on satisfaction with their technical performance Including the cleanliness of the waiting area and if free coffee. Numerous questions were on the brand of tires, sizes, and specific “production” types (mine are Nexen 215/55R17, Nprz AHS) all of which I had to make three trips to the garage with a flashlight and write down the info for the survey without bending down too much. Tire questions continued with ease of stopping, cornering, accelerating, wet pavement performance including snow, and the looks of the tire and how it looked on the car. All I could think to say on the last question was that the tire was black, round and looked like they fit the car.

Anyhow, it was a thorough survey, and I was glad to give my honest and positive opinion on the 2022 Kia Soul EX which is a pleasure to own and drive.

· Registered
547 Posts
Just finished a very lengthy Kia Soul survey for J. D. Power regarding reliability and service. Questions were not just on the vehicle but included where it was maintained. If service was at a Kia Dealer there were numerous questions on satisfaction with their technical performance Including the cleanliness of the waiting area and if free coffee. Numerous questions were on the brand of tires, sizes, and specific “production” types (mine are Nexen 215/55R17, Nprz AHS) all of which I had to make three trips to the garage with a flashlight and write down the info for the survey without bending down too much. Tire questions continued with ease of stopping, cornering, accelerating, wet pavement performance including snow, and the looks of the tire and how it looked on the car. All I could think to say on the last question was that the tire was black, round and looked like they fit the car.

Anyhow, it was a thorough survey, and I was glad to give my honest and positive opinion on the 2022 Kia Soul EX which is a pleasure to own and drive.
Kind of odd for asking so many question about the tires on a new car.

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kind of odd for asking so many question about the tires on a new car.
That’s what I thought. If you are a race driver or tire test driver I could understand the questioning about panic stops, fast hard turns at high speeds, and tire grip at fast acceleration.
Questions on tire use by measuring tread depths, or wear colors appear when treads are worn, or using tires until they are bald. (Yeah, that would be smart running on inner tubes). Maybe Nexen Tires would like to be a Kia supplier.

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 2020 Ex came with Hankook 235/45R 94V Ventus S1 Noble 2 tires. Actually they're very good.
Old Soul…how many miles on the Hankooks? And are they 16” or 17”? I’m familiar with the Hankooks but what makes a “good tire”. I know that tread life is one good factor. Michelins always, for me, lasted the longest but they gave a rather hard ride. If I were to buy new tires for my car I would have no idea on what brand to get. That is unless I read Consumers Guide. Otherwise I have little idea of what a good tire is or does as far as stopping ability, cornering, tread life, a smoother or quieter ride. What I do know, living in upper Michigan, snow tires make a world of difference in traction and braking. Now that’s, of course with the Kia two wheel drive. I have owned four wheel drive cars up here with all season tires, not snows, that work well during the winter.

· Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
303 Posts
Old Soul…how many miles on the Hankooks? And are they 16” or 17”? I’m familiar with the Hankooks but what makes a “good tire”. I know that tread life is one good factor. Michelins always, for me, lasted the longest but they gave a rather hard ride. If I were to buy new tires for my car I would have no idea on what brand to get. That is unless I read Consumers Guide. Otherwise I have little idea of what a good tire is or does as far as stopping ability, cornering, tread life, a smoother or quieter ride. What I do know, living in upper Michigan, snow tires make a world of difference in traction and braking. Now that’s, of course with the Kia two wheel drive. I have owned four wheel drive cars up here with all season tires, not snows, that work well during the winter.
I messed up. I corrected my post. My tires are Hankook 235/45R/18 Ventus S1 Noble 2 (low profile tires).
They are different than the regular EX because at the time I bought it the car was listed as an EX with Designer options. The hubcaps are chrome, ranther than blacked out. Now they call the car I have an EX with premium options. Also has an upgraded radio I think lol. I'm retired so don't drive much. Odorometer reads 8226.

· Registered
452 Posts
You can go to www.tirerack.com and see their ratings and reviews for tires - kind of a consumers guide. They test tires on a track at their HQ in South Bend, Indiana. I was there when I had them install new tires. They seem to have good standardized procedures. Here's the link to their procedures:
What Is Tire Rack's Tire Testing Program? | Tire Rack

· Registered
684 Posts
When I picked up my 2020EX in very early March 2020, it had Nexen tires on it. They were OK — unless you drove on snow, slush, or ice. I changed them in July of 2020 for a set of Nokian WR G4 tires. Much better. Very slightly noisier than the Nexens but far better in snow, slush, or ice. Fuel economy hasn’t seemed to suffer locally im getting 31 mpg and 36 to 38 mpg when on the highway for longer trips.

· Registered
452 Posts
When I picked up my 2020EX in very early March 2020, it had Nexen tires on it. They were OK — unless you drove on snow, slush, or ice. I changed them in July of 2020 for a set of Nokian WR G4 tires. Much better. Very slightly noisier than the Nexens but far better in snow, slush, or ice. Fuel economy hasn’t seemed to suffer locally im getting 31 mpg and 36 to 38 mpg when on the highway for longer trips.
Weird only that I was very concerned about using the Nexen's on my 202EX (I bought in April/2020) and in the snow. I purposely drove around in unplowed parking lots in Chicago and didn't have any problem and so I was surprised. The are ECO Focus tires with lower rolling resistance. But I'm still changing them for Conti's.

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can go to www.tirerack.com and see their ratings and reviews for tires - kind of a consumers guide. They test tires on a track at their HQ in South Bend, Indiana. I was there when I had them install new tires. They seem to have good standardized procedures. Here's the link to their procedures:
What Is Tire Rack's Tire Testing Program? | Tire Rack
Good suggestion. Tire Rack is a first class honest business. I have had very good experience ordering tires and rims from them. I would trust their knowledge. Thanks, Rock the Box.

· Registered
518 Posts
Depending on price, you can't go wrong owning Michelins or Hankooks.

I gave good marks regarding my dealership and provided subpar comments about Kia Inc- specifically my 2.0MPI engine and it's oil rings / consumption issues.

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Depending on price, you can't go wrong owning Michelins or Hankooks.

I gave good marks regarding my dealership and provided subpar comments about Kia Inc- specifically my 2.0MPI engine and it's oil rings / consumption issues.
I agree with your tire comments. Thinking of all the tires I’ve had those two were the ones that gave me the best service.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts