Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I'm easily confused. So does the 2021 Turbo have a CVT/IVT or a 7-speed automatic? Thanks.
the 2.0 non-turbo models have a CVT/IVT. The 2021 Turbo has a 7-speed DCT (dry dual clutch transmission). Its similar in design to a manual transmission, but it shifts itself like a traditional automatic. Consensus seems to be that the CVT/IVT with the 2.0 is the smoother operating option, but the turbo with the 7-speed DCT has more horsepower and about the same real-world fuel economy but with the downside of being a little more jerky in certain situations.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm easily confused. So does the 2021 Turbo have a CVT/IVT or a 7-speed automatic? Thanks.
The 2021 Turbo has a 7speed dual clutch automatic.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
Why did you move to the CX 30 over buying a Gen 3 Soul since you owned two Souls previously? Which versions of the CX 30 do you have? Thanks.
No problem, As I already had owned two Soul's I wanted a change, did check out the G3 EX Premium, but it didn't do much for me (I found the missing grab handle for the driver and the indentation left in the headliner to show it should have been there absolutely infuriating), was seriously hoping the Seltos would fill my requirements (must be a hatchback, not too much larger than the Soul, heated s/w and seats, decent size display, cloth seats, FWD, etc) and considered the EX Seltos, but as a three time KIA owner I also wanted to be fair to myself and look at the competition in the similar price range that I was willing to go too. Did look seriously at the Nissan Qashqai.

I drove a LX Seltos with the IVT which has the same engine and transmission as the EX model (and the same as the one used in the Soul EX Premium) and it appeared to drive exactly like my 2016 Soul SX, which I was surprised as I thought it might have been more sluggish due to the slightly heavier weight.
I then drove the CX-30 GS and what a difference compared to the Seltos, more power, smoother, more solid, quieter and the luxurious finish of the cabin with virually every surface in the dash soft touch. The Seltos does offer more rear leg room and larger and more flexible cargo area (like the Soul), but no deal breaker for me in that regard. The rear foot room in the Soul is better than in the CX-30.
The specific model I got was the 2020 CX-30 GS FWD. I did actually keep it in the family as the Mazda dealership I purchased it from, also owns the KIA dealership where I bought my three KIA's. I was impressed by the reliability of my KIA's, just hope the Mazda follows the same path.

Here's a photo of what I bought and you can see my 2016 Soul SX next to it, which I traded in

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
The 2021 Turbo has a 7-speed DCT (dry dual clutch transmission).
Dry? Does not run in an oil bath?

I have my doubts. Although some Ducati motorcycles use a dry clutch. They have a certain rattling noisy sound. They say loud clutches save lives. :)

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul LX
26 Posts
One of the pulleys on CVTs is always computer controlled on a modern CVT though, whether its holding at a certain RPM for fuel efficiency or peak horsepower, or simulating gear shifts for a more traditional feel. Its a subset of CVTs if you want to get technical, but its what pretty much all CVTs are doing now, whether you get a Nissan with its "Xtronic CVT" or Subaru with its "Lineartronic CVT" or Toyota's "Direct-Shift CVT". Every manufacturer gives their simulated shifting a unique marketing term, but that's what it is, marketing. It does have a unique chain instead of belt though.
So then it seems most modern vehicles with cvts are really ivts!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Dry? Does not run in an oil bath?

I have my doubts. Although some Ducati motorcycles use a dry clutch. They have a certain rattling noisy sound. They say loud clutches save lives. :)
Yeah, its a "dry" type for the 7-speed, but Hyundai/Kia do make a new 8-speed wet DCT which is a lot heavier but also more durable, but its not put in any version of the Soul yet: Kia Unveils 7-Speed Dual-Clutch Transmission -DCT | Kia News Blog
A pair of dry clutches are used in the DCT, each of which has an electric motor-driven clutch actuator to help improve fuel efficiency. There are also two gear input shafts used in the odd and even gear ratios.
So this may seem like a weird comparison against a non-electric Soul 2.0, but did anyone consider the BMW i3? Its similar in its boxy dimensions, has done well on Consumer Report's reliability surveys, and near me they are practically giving away used ones with range extenders coming off lease.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul LX Manual
28 Posts
Yeah, its a "dry" type for the 7-speed, but Hyundai/Kia do make a new 8-speed wet DCT which is a lot heavier but also more durable, but its not put in any version of the Soul yet: Kia Unveils 7-Speed Dual-Clutch Transmission -DCT | Kia News Blog

So this may seem like a weird comparison against a non-electric Soul 2.0, but did anyone consider the BMW i3? Its similar in its boxy dimensions, has done well on Consumer Report's reliability surveys, and near me they are practically giving away used ones with range extenders coming off lease.

View attachment 136186
I probably wouldn't. The i3 might be different, but I'd be very hesitant to own a BMW outside the warranty. The Bring More Wallet meme exists for a reason.

·
Registered
440 Posts

View attachment 136186
I would not touch a BMW with a 50 foot pole....Unless it was a lease and I gave it back right before everything broke

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul LX Manual
28 Posts
I would not touch a BMW with a 50 foot pole....Unless it was a lease and I gave it back right before everything broke
There's a reason prices drop on them like a rock. There are deals to be had there, but it's generally for someone who has the tools and the knowledge to work on it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
That's the weird thing, supposedly the i3 is actually reliable, shares no parts or even a chassis with any other BMW. shrugs

Consumer Reports put it in bold on their 'most recommended' used car category with a reliability score of 89%, which they rate as "far above average". That said, I did find that when the battery eventually kicks the bucket, replacements are very expensive to the tune of $16K if using a dealer. On the plus side, its the only EV that also has an explicit capacity warranty so if it goes below 70% capacity before 8 years or 100K miles they replace it free of charge (no pun intended). Hmm...

·
Registered
✴️BING✴️ Toast's ready, pass the butter!
1,091 Posts

Here's some solid reasons as to why these can be had for so cheap used. I've read that these can become a money pit quickly, especially with tires—they're narrower than most cars (to reduce drag) and are specially made for BMW and are costly.

Reactions: JSmith

·
Registered
✴️BING✴️ Toast's ready, pass the butter!
1,091 Posts
On the plus side, its the only EV that also has an explicit capacity warranty so if it goes below 70% capacity before 8 years or 100K miles they replace it free of charge (no pun intended). Hmm...
Is that warranty transferable?

Reactions: JSmith

·
Registered
91 Posts
I did consider a used ReX i3 instead of the Soul as they can be had as CPO with warranty for under 20k.
However at the time I couldn’t find one that met the above within a few hundred miles of where we live.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts