Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2020 LX IVT
56 Posts
Thanks, I did like the Denim trim of the Venue with the white roof, and even though all the plastics are hard, I thought it was well laid out. Soul seems more upscale though, at least how you can potentially configure it. I'm thinking I might wait to test drive the 2022 Kona, as supposedly its coming any day now so I can back-to-back it w/ a Soul.

I remember reading about that, particularly the orange paint was especially prone to chipping and the like. Bummer. What is cool though is that they now offer a 2.5L from the Forester, but the Soul infotainment seems nicer than what Subaru currently offers.
As most of my insights and opinion are already in other answers, I'll just comment on this detail. I've owned a lot of cars, tending to buy around every 3 years, and I'm old. The most recents include (in order) a Forester, CR-V, Nissan Cube, Corolla and presently the Soul LX IVT (base model with automatic). Up until my Soul the Forester was my fav, though I preferred the seats in the CR-V (but that stuff changes model-to-model). The Soul, the cheape$t of the bunch, is all around the best car for my values and needs, which include economy. Present day, the Forester is quite grown up and in a wholly different class than the Soul, by most any measure. But most others outside of Kia/Hyundai just don't make the grade. For example, I love the style of the HR-V, but just sitting in it and reading its stats I lost interest in a test drive, same as both the Toyota and Nissan competitors.

Aside from economy, there are some compelling reasons to go with the LX: I rented an S and hated all the safety systems, so much so that I learned quickly how to disable them. This is the main upgrade from the LX. There is also the matters of tire size. While larger tires have an aesthetic appeal, the smaller the tire, the better the (1) ride, (2) handling and (3) fuel economy (round town). I also prefer a manual air system over auto, which uses all sorts of programming where I want to decide, spur of the moment, my fan speed and temps, and what defrost does. For my preferences there was no other Kia or car that even came close, though I still miss, at times, my Corolla Eco sedan for a few of its coolnesses...

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul LX Manual
28 Posts
I got a LX manual. I looked at a lot of different makes/models of vehicles before I bought my Soul. Originally it wasn't anywhere on my radar for a purchase, but when I kept looking at vehicles and deciding I didn't like the warranty or the cost I kept reading "You should look at a Soul" on different forums. So I did. I could get the stick I wanted and I got a warranty I was happy with. It's fun to drive and (at least mostly) has the features I want. I keep thinking about adding cruise control, but I've driven vehicles without it for so many years it's not a huge loss.

·
Registered
212 Posts
JSmith
Importance #1 is not anything about trims and features.

Get the 2.0 MPI engine, if the only other option is the 1.6t.
You can thank me in the years-to-come..... the engine's golden years.

Reactions: JSmith

·
Registered
64 Posts
Part of what interested me was the price of the soul as I did not want much of a monthly payment even though I could afford more. That being said, I still would not have bought it if I did not like it. I drove different vehicles of different sizes before ending up with the Soul. The Soul was just the best fit for me overall. Affordability, and just all around performance. I bought the LX trim, I would have liked heated seats and heated outside mirrors but I don't really need them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
JSmith
Importance #1 is not anything about trims and features.

Get the 2.0 MPI engine, if the only other option is the 1.6t.
You can thank me in the years-to-come..... the engine's golden years.
Thanks, I am leaning that way, even though I'd like the extra power, as reviewers seem to indicate that it provides a smoother experience. I bookmarked this earlier where he was complaining about the programming of the DCT, but then again maybe they have fine tuned that for 2021?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The heck, so searching for 2021 Kia Soul EX's in my area, I just noticed that they are decontented compared to 2020s! Part of the reason I liked the EX trim is that I prefer the upgraded LED lights, but now for 2021 it appears the only way you can get that is with the Turbo. The wheels don't look as nice either IMO, and despite the cheapening the MSRP is the same as 2020? I really wish I was vehicle shopping last year. What a bummer!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Check out the Ford focus with dct. They don't make them anymore in the United States. From 12 to whatever year they stopped making them. They never could get it right. Several lawsuits filed over them. I owned a 15 focus I bought new. It would take spells where it jerked like crazy. Only had 25k on it, when I got rid of it. Was paid for. Traded it in on a 18 soul cpo with 15,700 miles. Gave 5700.00 difference, now it's paid for. The focus never left me stranded, but I did not like that dct.

·
Registered
2021 KIA Soul X-Line Neptune Blue w/Black Top. Vehicle Build Date 10/2020, purchased 12/30/2020.
24 Posts
I like the electronics options of the EX, but the appearance options of the X-Line won me over.

Plus some of the dealer add ons they did to the one I purchased off the lot. Limo tint to the front two windows, the 'Soul' decal or in lay that was added to the rear black plastic that matched the Neptune Blue paint, rear spoiler, and all four wheel mud flaps.

What I was looking for was a silver LX manual, I dislike the ISG and I think IVTs built before 04/17/2020 have issues besides software.

The turbo has a lot of features but for the money IMHO I would look at something else.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks, I am leaning that way, even though I'd like the extra power, as reviewers seem to indicate that it provides a smoother experience. I bookmarked this earlier where he was complaining about the programming of the DCT, but then again maybe they have fine tuned that for 2021?

The 1.6t does not run any smoother than the 2.0 MPI. I've driven both many times.
The 2.0 will require less maintenance / engine innards will stay cleaner. That usually results in a longer-lasting engine that consumes less oil.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
My little 'Jem' puts a smile on my face, every time I put the hammer down! She just takes off like a scalded cat and I catch myself saying "Whoa Girl !" I'm sure I'll wear out the brakes on this car, before anything else.
At 18k+ she's still getting Betterer and Betterer!

On any road trip, she'll get OVER 35 mpg.

Cheers Mates!
FLH :cool:

"Kia Soul vs the Competition" ? What competition? I haven't seen any!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I hope you don't mind me interjecting, as many long time members know me as an owner of three Kia's two of them Soul's (2012 and 2016).
However, to give a different perspective to this subject and fair comparison, I now own the #2 model on that top 20 list, a CX-30, so if you have any questions with regards that model, I would be pleased to answer them.
OK, shoot. Thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The 1.6t does not run any smoother than the 2.0 MPI. I've driven both many times.
The 2.0 will require less maintenance / engine innards will stay cleaner. That usually results in a longer-lasting engine that consumes less oil.
Thanks, I worded is vaguely, but that is what I meant that the reviews said the 2.0 w/ CVT was smoother than the 1.6T with DCT that could be a little jerky. I'm not doing any drag racing, so the 2.0 makes sense for me. My dilemma now is just that LED or HID headlights are a must-have item for me, not fond of reflectors, and for 2021 they decontended the EX trim to no longer have them, and they got rid of my favorite colors too. No leftovers in my area either. :(

So for now I'm all set and just have bookmarks setup to see what comes up for sale, and otherwise we'll see how the 2021 Kicks and 2022 Kona fair. Will let y'all know if they turn out decent, or what I find first. I have a car, just that its around 150K mile mark now so not rushed but ready to upgrade. :)

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Along with most cuss words, "CVT" should be banned from this forum. Why? Well, because the KIA Soul DOES NOT HAVE ONE(period)

I would have thought that everyone who frequents this forum would know that by now!
Unlike the CVT that operates on the basis of engine RPM, the IVT (now in the 2020 and later Souls) is controlled by a transmission control computer.
The IVT can actually "Shift" from one "Gear" to another and also go from automatic operation to manual operation, at the driver's desire. Even the 8th gear in the IVT is something new for the KIA Soul. We've never had an 'Overdrive' gear before.
I've driven a car with a true CVT, and there were NO shift points. Acceleration felt really weird!

Y'all have a great day now,
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Unlike the CVT that operates on the basis of engine RPM, the IVT (now in the 2020 and later Souls) is controlled by a transmission control computer. The IVT can actually "Shift" from one "Gear" to another and also go from automatic operation to manual operation, at the driver's desire. Even the 8th gear in the IVT is something new for the Kia Soul. We've never had an 'Overdrive' gear before.
Its a CVT with simulated gear shifting, something virtually all CVTs implement now: Why do CVT Transmissions Simulate Shifts? | MotorBiscuit

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Wrongo in the congo!
And, that's why it's no longer a CVT. The CVT was all mechanical, but the IVT is, as I've said several times, Computer Controlled.
It shouldn't take a mechanical engineering degree to know the difference.

So you call it whatever you want, but it's still an IVT and I love mine!
:cool:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Wrongo in the congo!
And, that's why it's no longer a CVT. The CVT was all mechanical, but the IVT is, as I've said several times, Computer Controlled.
One of the pulleys on CVTs is always computer controlled on a modern CVT though, whether its holding at a certain RPM for fuel efficiency or peak horsepower, or simulating gear shifts for a more traditional feel. Its a subset of CVTs if you want to get technical, but its what pretty much all CVTs are doing now, whether you get a Nissan with its "Xtronic CVT" or Subaru with its "Lineartronic CVT" or Toyota's "Direct-Shift CVT". Every manufacturer gives their simulated shifting a unique marketing term, but that's what it is, marketing. It does have a unique chain instead of belt though.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts