Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
My sister-in-Law’s husband’s father was an independent tire engineer who did consulting for Michelin and Goodyear. He told me that manufacturers set the tire pressure for most comfortable ride. For best tire wear and gas milag, he recommended increasing the tire pressure by NO MORE THAN 2 to 3 pounds. Also, check tire pressure when car has not been driven for at least 4 hours.
The ride will be slightly harsher but not objectionable and you’ll get better gas mileage. I would regularly ger 44 Mpg in the summer on the interstate with 4 adults a full trunk and the A/C running in my 2011 Forte doing this.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Your sister-in-law's husband's father...??? Wait...Isn't that your brother's father... or... Your father???

On a sunny day and parked on black tarmac, "resting" tire PSI will be quite a bit higher than night-time "resting" PSI, so it's always been a mild conundrum for me. I figure as long as cold psi is at or above the door placard "minimum", it's good to drive. It's simply the visibly-air-deprived tires being driven that surprises me daily.

Greg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Your sister-in-law's husband's father...??? Wait...Isn't that your brother's father... or... Your father???

On a sunny day and parked on black tarmac, "resting" tire PSI will be quite a bit higher than night-time "resting" PSI, so it's always been a mild conundrum for me. I figure as long as cold psi is at or above the door placard "minimum", it's good to drive. It's simply the visibly-air-deprived tires being driven that surprises me daily.

Greg
It’s better, if possible, when vehicle is parked on Tarmac to test Tire Pressure in the morning.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Greg
Regarding the relationshi: my wife’s sister‘s father-in-law. Is that clearer? 😀

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Regarding the relationshi: my wife’s sister‘s father-in-law. Is that clearer? 😀
Which would be your brother-in-law's father. To make it even simpler :D Someone married to your sister-in-law is your brother-in-law, or I suppose today you could just have two sister-in-laws.

In any case, I agree with you. A couple of pounds gives you a little better fuel economy at the cost of a little comfort. There's about a 5 PSI window around the recommended level where it's really not going to make any appreciable difference on the tires. In reality your tires should be set based on how you use the vehicle. If you always travel empty, increasing PSI could give you high-ride on the tires. If you always travel full-load, recommended PSI could be too low for the payload. Paying attention to PSI is something you learn well when you drive trucks (of any kind) most of your life, because PSI really needs to match your payload especially on the rear.

·
Registered
19 Posts
before i traded it in for my 2020 Soul EX, I kept the tires on my 2011 Forte at 36 psi, 4 lbs. over the recommended pressure. Every time I took it to the dealer for service, they commented on how well the tires were wearing. I had 40,000 miles on them and less than 1/2 the tread was gone. But they were Michelin Defenders— Great tires in rain and ice, not too bad in the snow either.

·
Registered
14 Posts
On my 2020 Soul I have green valve stem caps which means nitrogen fill. I noticed my tires were at 33 PSI so I called the dealer to see if they could pump them to 38 with nitrogen - they said they don't have nitrogen... Not happy... Costco has nitrogen but only fill tires they installed. :confused:
Look at the percentage of nitrogen that is in the air that we breathe, 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.04% carbon dioxide, and small amounts of other gases. I use air, nitrogen is a gimmick.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts