Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regarding tire pressure:
When I took delivery on my Soul +, the tires were inflated to about 44 pounds.
When I reduced that to 36 pounds, road noise decreased.
At a dealer seminar this week (Friendly KIA of New Port Richey), we (new KIA owners) found that KIA inflates all tires to 44 pounds so that the tires will not develop flat spots during their stay on the lot before they are sold. Before delivery, tire pressure should be decreased to spec.

·
Registered
10 Posts
yep it should be done when they come of the truck its call a PDI( pre delivery inspection)
they all so go over everything to make sure its working before being sold

·
Registered
690 Posts
Regarding tire pressure:
At a dealer seminar this week (Friendly KIA of New Port Richey), we (new KIA owners) found that KIA inflates all tires to 44 pounds so that the tires will not develop flat spots during their stay on the lot before they are sold. Before delivery, tire pressure should be decreased to spec.

This is same for all manufactural to prevent “flatspot” on tires because vehicle may be parked and stationed for long period of time. I have my tire set at 35psi and it seems to be perfect for me. With 35psi, ride is noticbly more composed and elimiated frontend vibration which was felt during test drive with 45psi. I test drove as soon as it came off the truck so dealer didn’t have time to fully “prep”. 33psi is manufature recommendation but 35 is sort of optimal setting for gas mileage and safety for most tires. For Soul owners with 18 inch rims, we probably have to inflate more or/and pay extra attention to prevent accidentally bending the rims. 18 inch rims for our Soul may be over done but it sure looks good and it fills the wheelwell nicely.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Conwel, It's called post # bumping and it's frowned upon on just about every forum.
On the one forum where I've been a moderator, that kind of action can get the poster banned and all their post deleted.

Nonsense posts add nothing to the Informational Value of the forum and they take up valuable forum storage space.
Hopefully one of our great moderators will deal with it. Eh?

:cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Regarding tire pressure:
Upon delivery, mine were at 43 PSI and the ride felt a bit bumpy.
So I did the same thing, took them down to 36 PSI (the door panel says 33, but I always do 3-4 higher since they are not cold and have been driven to the gas station).

Is there a good rule of thumb on what PSI to use, vs. what's on the door label? I don't want them to be under or over-inflated.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I used to abide by the door panel PSI recommendations for years. Now, I run max PSI in all my vehicles. One question I've never heard answered is how to define "cold PSI:
"Is 'cold' PSI the door panel rec when night-time temperatures are at their lowest"??? I would argue, yes.

Greg

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl ~56K km (35K miles) Michelin CrossClimate tires
150 Posts
Greg, The 'cold' PSI is the measurement taken when the tires are cold. Tires that have been sitting in the shade are 'cold'. Tires that have been running on the road for a while are 'hot' and typically the measured PSI is a couple of PSI higher.

Typically, I measure the tire air pressure in the garage at home, determine how many pounds I should add, and then re-measure the PSI when I get to the gas station. Then I top up the air based on the new measure if the tires have heated up.

If I get confused, I add even more air and then re-adjust once the vehicle has sat in the garage or the shade for a while.

----------------------------------------------------------

Question of personal preference perhaps, but I prefer to run the tires a pound or two above the 33 PSI specified by Kia. 35 lb. pressure should not be over-inflated enough to cause uneven tire wear.

----------------

Yes, this is a resurrected thread and Dajedebcpolwe is guilty of poor netiquette. tsk, tsk. Nevertheless, the content has to be of interest to many recent Kia Soul owners.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I adjusted my tires to 38 PSI. That's halfway between the "cold" 33 PSI on the door panel, and the 43 PSI from the dealer lot.

I hope that isn't too high. I figured if the tires have been driven to the gas station where the air pump is located, they are at least a bit hot. So round up 5 to 38 PSI? Better a bit over than too low?

·
Registered
52 Posts
On my 2020 Soul I have green valve stem caps which means nitrogen fill. I noticed my tires were at 33 PSI so I called the dealer to see if they could pump them to 38 with nitrogen - they said they don't have nitrogen... Not happy... Costco has nitrogen but only fill tires they installed. :confused:

·
Registered
885 Posts
On my 2020 Soul I have green valve stem caps which means nitrogen fill. I noticed my tires were at 33 PSI so I called the dealer to see if they could pump them to 38 with nitrogen - they said they don't have nitrogen... Not happy... Costco has nitrogen but only fill tires they installed. :confused:
Nitrogen-filled is definitely a gimmick as N is already in the air (sure, at slightly different concentrations, but it's there).

Greg

Greg

·
Registered
52 Posts
Fun fact- the 2020 Soul EX has the same size tires as a Tesla Model 3. I was showing my buddy my car tires, and we compared them. Same tire. 235/45r18. His is Michelin. Ours is Hankook. Still a high performance tire. He said his Michelin’s are tuned for mileage.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts