Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is it a crackling sound or a kind of clunk? Mine acquired a clunking that I could feel in the floorboard while accelerating over a small bump or speed bump. When my Soul was new (less than 1000 miles) I turned the traction control off and popped the clutch. I was on a smooth surface with leaves and some water. I heard and felt the clunk for the first time just then. I took the car to the dealer and had them look at it. The dealer had my car for 3 weeks. They replaces all of the front suspension and finally found a crack in the sub-frame. They reinforced it and welded it back up and I haven't heard it again in 48000 miles. I'm kind of glad I did that. I would hate to have had the sub-frame crack in a collision.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Is it a crackling sound or a kind of clunk? Mine acquired a clunking that I could feel in the floorboard while accelerating over a small bump or speed bump. When my Soul was new (less than 1000 miles) I turned the traction control off and popped the clutch. I was on a smooth surface with leaves and some water. I heard and felt the clunk for the first time just then. I took the car to the dealer and had them look at it. The dealer had my car for 3 weeks. They replaces all of the front suspension and finally found a crack in the sub-frame. They reinforced it and welded it back up and I haven't heard it again in 48000 miles. I'm kind of glad I did that. I would hate to have had the sub-frame crack in a collision.

"Welded it back up" with 1000 miles on it?
Oh Hell to the NO!
That car would have been their car right then-right there!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I tried to refuse the car and they said that is is stronger than any other Soul. I have beat this thing up for 47000 miles after the repair. Twice a week, I drive to up Mt Madonna to work about 12 miles of bumpy dirt road and so far, no problem. I still don't want to find out what will happen in a collision though.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I tried to refuse the car and they said that is is stronger than any other Soul. I have beat this thing up for 47000 miles after the repair. Twice a week, I drive to up Mt Madonna to work about 12 miles of bumpy dirt road and so far, no problem. I still don't want to find out what will happen in a collision though.
As long as the crack wasn't in a crumple zone, it won't change anything

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
The whole front end of the Soul is a group of plastic parts held together with little plastic push-pins (fasteners). The parts can actually move around some and make all sorts of weird noises. On my car, the wheel liner parts were moving around making bumping sounds on rough roads. I glued them all together with Blask RTV Silicone Sealant and the noise was gone. The dealer could not find that. I had to do it myself.

I posted pictures of my fix, in another threat about noises in the front end.

Cheers mates!
TechnoMage :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts