Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

241 - 253 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
FLH said: "If y'all wish, go ahead and blame me for taking the chicken way out. Without telling anyone at Kia, I just trader her off."

The only issue I take with that is that some poor soul is eventually going to be a$$ed-out and it Ain't gonna be the dealership!
This is in the category of "Buyer Beware" or "Caveat Emptor".
Ethically speaking he should have done the recall because it was free to him, and then trade it in.

The guy that buys the car doesn't have the same warranty (or none at all, if the car had more than 50k miles on odometer).
Besides the fact that's bad for the buyer (unethical), is also bad for Soul brand (getting a car with the engine blowing shortly) and, in the long term, affecting even the resale value of his 2020 Soul.

Toyota build a brad because it's customer base didn't trow their problems to someone else. Takes time and personal responsibility.

·
Registered
6,029 Posts
^^^^ I'm curious if the next buyer went to the length of having a mechanic check out "Gertrude," if they would find metal shavings in the oil or related problems.

I'm guessing not, but maybe a good mechanic might?

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Well...Technically a "recall" will always be in effect regardless of subsequent owners so if "Gertrude" does blow here top (or her bottom) subsequent buyer should be covered.
Doesn't quite absolve/resolve the question of ethics though so I guess one must let their conscious be their guide.

·
Registered
6,029 Posts
Such "studies" are specious at best.

:leg

Greg
You make a good point greg. I wish someone would pay me for my opinions or the right to display my opinion in an advertisement.

I'm still glad to see the Genesis/Kia/Hyundai brands at the top of this ISQ survey. Good job Kia!

To a lay person, it would seem confusing when their local news shows Kia's catching fire or engines seizing up. To be honest I'm a little confused, but this is just the first 90 days.

https://www.consumerreports.org/consumerist/can-you-trust-those-awards-you-see-in-auto-ads/

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ethically speaking he should have done the recall because it was free to him, and then trade it in.

The guy that buys the car doesn't have the same warranty (or none at all, if the car had more than 50k miles on odometer).
Besides the fact that's bad for the buyer (unethical), is also bad for Soul brand (getting a car with the engine blowing shortly) and, in the long term, affecting even the resale value of his 2020 Soul.

Toyota build a brad because it's customer base didn't trow their problems to someone else. Takes time and personal responsibility.
First let me state that I agree, that if a vehicle has a recall on it, the current owner should have that taken care of prior to trading. In this case however, I would have probably handled it the same way. Why? I think that there's a tiny detail that got glossed over here.

In my case, I didn't even give Kia a chance to give me a runaround, etc., I just traded my Soul off for a 2020 Soul LX.
The point is the car ended up being traded in for anther Kia. Which in turns means the car is most likely at a Kia dealership where any recalls will be addressed. Or a least they should. I am pretty sure that when the car hits the shop for the "multipoint inspection" before being resold, any unresolved recalls will be flagged.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Umbra said: "I am pretty sure that when the car hits the shop for the "multipoint inspection" before being resold, any unresolved recalls will be flagged."

"Multi-point inspection" consists of:
1-Air in the tires
2-Oil in the crankcase.
3-Enough gas in the tank to get it off the lot.
The good news is if it was a "recall" then all subsequent owners will be eligible for it.
Bad new is...well we ALL know what the bad news is!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Umbra said: "I am pretty sure that when the car hits the shop for the "multipoint inspection" before being resold, any unresolved recalls will be flagged."

"Multi-point inspection" consists of:
1-Air in the tires
2-Oil in the crankcase.
3-Enough gas in the tank to get it off the lot.
The good news is if it was a "recall" then all subsequent owners will be eligible for it.
Bad new is...well we ALL know what the bad news is!
That clearly depends on the dealer but we all know it probably happens more often than not. Especially when you trade one make for another, Ford for Chevy or Dodge for Honda as examples. There's really no excuse when you trade for the same make. My hope would be that once the service techs key in that VIN for the service work (cause you know the accounting department has to have a record of that inspection) they would see the recall and take care of it. It could be wishful thinking on my part though.

·
Registered
6,029 Posts
Unfortunately srads words tend to ring true out in the marketplace. How difficult would it be to make a law requiring posted recalls be performed before dealers can resell a car?

“The Federal Trade Commission is supposed to crack down on false and misleading advertising, but instead they are encouraging it,” Cummings said. “They should have protected consumers, but chose to protect reckless car dealers.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/ftc-sued-allowing-car-dealers-sell-recalled-vehicles-potentially-lethal-n720276

Is it legal to sell a used car with an open recall?

In short, yes dealerships can sell a car with a unfixed recall, as long as they deem the car “used.”

If you're going to buy a new car, though, the dealership is not legally allowed to sell it to you if it has an open recall

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Well, something I knew, which I guess y'all don't know is that a dealer will take in a used car, like mine, seven years old and with 75K miles. and it doesn't stay on that dealer's lot for even 24 hours. It's hustled off to the used car Auction, where it will be sold to a Used Car Lot somewhere. It may never see a Kia dealership again, unless the new owner takes it there.

Dealers will do their dangdest to avoid installing a new engine under warranty. They can't change an engine like they would change belts, hoses or wipers. It can take weeks or even months to get a new engine, and in the meantime I could be riding a bicycle. And, I live 30 miles away from my Kia dealer.

So being on a very limited income, I did the best thing I could, under the circumstances.

I've had to buy many used cars over my lifetime and I never bought one without a "Problem"....like the Suzuki Swift that had a 1/2" hole drilled through the intake cam. Yup, it broke on I-4 one day, while I was trying to get out of Orlando.
So, who drilled that hole, and why? Who knows? Buyer beware? Yup, I've been there and done that.

Criticize me all you want, but when you're 76 years old, I'd like to see what you would do in like circumstances. Eh?
I'm suspicious that you (all) might do just what I did....Get rid of it as fast as you can.

I have a very good friend, who had a car just like mine, that developed a problem in the engine and his highly acclaimed KIA Dealer would not help him, so he did exactly what I did.....
He went to another (brand) dealer and traded his Kia Soul in for another brand of car.
He told me he and his wife really like their new car and he's glad to be rid of that Soul with a problem and that non-helpful KIA dealer.

Cheers Mates!
:cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our Kia Dealer has always treated us well - both in service recalls and parts needs. That doesn’t mean I would buy a new car!

241 - 253 of 253 Posts