Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

201 - 220 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2012 has needed nothing other than oil/filter changes, tires, and front brake pads , i'm about to hit 50k miles. The car has been bulletproof so far. I also own a 2008 Toyota Corolla with 70k miles, it too has needed only regular maintenance and brakes. I'm confident the Kia will make it to that mileage without needing any major repairs. Pretty impressive to see how far KIA/Hyundai have come in just a few years!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
We've updated our reliability stats for the Soul to include owner experiences through September 30, 2016.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year (lower is better):

2015 Soul: 13, low
2014 Soul: 0, low
2013 Soul: 20, low
2012 Soul: 31, low
2011 Soul: 16, low, small sample size
2010 Soul: 48, moderate

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds", to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop:

2015 Soul: 89, < 1
2014 Soul: 100, < 1
2013 Soul: 81, < 1
2012 Soul: 76, < 1
2010 Soul: 71, 4

Additional participants always helpful, especially for years without stats or with small sample sizes.

For the repairs behind these stats, reliability information on other models, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Kia Soul reliability ratings and comparisons

·
Registered
272 Posts
We've updated our reliability stats for the Soul to include owner experiences through September 30, 2016.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year (lower is better):

2015 Soul: 13, low
2014 Soul: 0, low
2013 Soul: 20, low
2012 Soul: 31, low
2011 Soul: 16, low, small sample size
2010 Soul: 48, moderate

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds", to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop:

2015 Soul: 89, < 1
2014 Soul: 100, < 1
2013 Soul: 81, < 1
2012 Soul: 76, < 1
2010 Soul: 71, 4

Additional participants always helpful, especially for years without stats or with small sample sizes.

For the repairs behind these stats, reliability information on other models, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Kia Soul reliability ratings and comparisons
Really enjoy your site, very helpful in many ways.

·
Registered
14,860 Posts
from the latest Auto issue of Consumer Reports - Brand Scoring

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
That doesn't surprise me. I have two of these things and they have been drop dead reliable. I have no complaints other than the GDI system.

·
Registered
14,860 Posts
a snap-shot of the Soul courtesy of Consumer Reports 2017 auto guide

·
Registered
197 Posts
So far, only 1 warranty repair on my 2012 Soul. The instrument cluster went dead and they replaced it without incident. I've read a little about it, and it seems to have been a known issue for those electronics. It has been trouble free since then.

I can agree with the Consumer Reports Auto guide on every one of the areas on the '12 that received a less than stellar rating. It doesn't mean I don't like the car;all cars have things we'd like to see improved upon.

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
^^^^ I agree werz. Also the column "% of tested models recommended" could mean anything. Like we tested 1 model of BMW & recommend 100% of them.

Anyone who has an understanding of statistical analysis knows data results can be skewed to just about any conclusion.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Just getting ready to roll over 70K miles on our 2013 Soul Base 1.6 Automatic. Very reliable - only 1 small and 1 large issue, both covered under warranty. The first winter, it was slow to warm up and they found a sticking thermostat - replaced in 30 minutes free under warranty. At 60,800 miles, we had a cold day and the steering started making a noticeable clicking sound when rotated counter-clockwise. I took it in the next day and they said the clockspring was broken, and out of warranty. Since it would be less than $100, I didn't make a fuss. However, that repair didn't fix the problem and they said I needed a complete steering column (with electric motor) at about $1,200. Ouch!! Now the car had 61,500 miles. It only did it on cold days, so it could have been broken for some time before the warranty expired. The service manager said to call KIA and ask for an exception to be covered. After 2 weeks of calls, they denied. I went back to the dealer and sent an email to the owner saying that if this is how KIAs hold up, it would be my last one and I would never recommend one to anyone again. A week later, the dealer replaced it for free under the "good will" clause. KIA corporation was no help.

Other than that, just 1 set of tires at 35K miles, and the front brakes were down to 1/4 at 65K miles so I had new pads and rotors installed. Oh, and 1 of the license plate light bulbs burned out.

Other than the steering column, pretty good so far. Disappointed in KIA corporation, but the dealer saved the day.

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
Hey pnoman,

Glad to hear your Soul has been relatively trouble free. Also glad the dealer fixed the steering issue on their dime.

Not encouraged by how Kia treated you. My feeling when a part malfunctions just minutes after the "warranty" expires is that the part was inherently defective from day 1 (and as such should be repaired under warranty). It just took until now to reveal itself. If you would have driven 1000 less miles, say 2 years ago, then it would have been covered today.

The fact is the steering column (with motor) is built to last, and is expected to last far longer than 60,000 miles. When it doesn't, it's defective. Logic would suggest it had an inherent weakness or flaw during manufacturing. Sounds like you handled the situation well. Congratulations.

·
Registered
866 Posts
At this point I'd buy another soul. While I feel I overpaid and it could use some real improvements (e.g. better mileage, torque, and driving refinement), it's a decent vehicle for its price-point. Only major problems I've had so far include a new blower motor the first month of ownership, wind noise, and a weak HVAC (it takes up to 20 minutes to blow truly cold AC, although it's reported "normal" by dealer; no, it's not).

I now drive it like I stole it to see how it truly holds up and with 40,000 miles, so far, so good.

Greg

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
At this point I'd buy another soul. While I feel I overpaid and it could use some real improvements (e.g. better mileage, torque, and driving refinement), it's a decent vehicle for its price-point. Only major problems I've had so far include a new blower motor the first month of ownership, wind noise, and a weak HVAC (it takes up to 20 minutes to blow truly cold AC, although it's reported "normal" by dealer; no, it's not).

I now drive it like I stole it to see how it truly holds up and with 40,000 miles, so far, so good.

Greg
There is something WRONG with your AC if it takes 20 minutes. I've never had an AC that took more than 30 seconds to start pumping cold out. Your dealer is either incompetent or a liar, probably both. Go elsewhere.

You will get better torque from the turbo mill. Cammers put out their power high up. That's the way it is. These are small mills at 97 and 120 c.i. they are NOT going to be torque motors. That said, my first cammer with VVT had amazing lower-end torque vs. the earlier ones, so the situation is better than it used to be.

You're driving a $20,000 car. What sort of driving refinement do you seek?
You're driving a brick-shaped vehicle--that's why it has so much space inside!--with a coefficient of drag of .42+. Once you get past 65-70 your MPG will decline fairly rapidly.

The only Souls that have historically gotten good MPG are the 1.6 stick shifts.

·
Registered
6,093 Posts

Greg
Hey grege, I agree 20 mins is ridiculous for AC to blow cold air. Is that on your 2010 or 14?

On mine the AC is so strong alot of the time I divert half the flow to the windshield or floor because it's too dang chilly (except on those real scorcher days).

I wonder if it's truly the AC or perhaps the thermostat (control switch) is defective?

I agree, I'd probably buy another Soul as long as they keep a stick shift in the lineup. I'd probably wait to see what Gen3 has in store. Maybe the demise of the torsion beam? A guy can only dream eh?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Hey grege, I agree 20 mins is ridiculous for AC to blow cold air. Is that on your 2010 or 14?

On mine the AC is so strong alot of the time I divert half the flow to the windshield or floor because it's too dang chilly (except on those real scorcher days).

I wonder if it's truly the AC or perhaps the thermostat (control switch) is defective?

I agree, I'd probably buy another Soul as long as they keep a stick shift in the lineup. I'd probably wait to see what Gen3 has in store. Maybe the demise of the torsion beam? A guy can only dream eh?
Our 2014.
I agree it's not normal for the AC to be this weak and suspect it relates to the blower motor being replaced when only 1 month new; 2 dealers worked on it and eventually it blows cool enough, but it's still much weaker than our 2010. Plenty of refinement that can be had for a $20K vehicle (mostly I say that because when these and other vehicles are being sold for $10K below MSRP to ready for the new model year, they're obviously overpriced initially although refinements will eat profits - initially). And yeah, it is a rolling brick, so I understand it has some "drag", so my main issue relates to that is the odd wind noise my driver's-side displays; I've been able to mitigate it some with rain guards.

Still, I like it and plan to get another eventually.

Greg

·
Registered
132 Posts
Will hit 118k on the car this week when I head to Georgia to visit the folks. Bought it with 74k and really the only issue was the stuck closed thermostat that took out my new water pump that leaked for a long time until finally replaced after the whole cooling system was replaced as well! But yes my A/C compressor kicks in under 5 seconds and then another 5-10 seconds before it gets cold at most. COLD COLD takes a bit longer but not that long! Sounds like they are trying to avoid fixing it under warranty!

PS: How reliable are the newer ones?? Looking at the 2017 T-GDI maybe the Forte5 SX with the same engine not sure yet! The 2.0 isn't bad but could be better but then again I ride a 1255cc bike here and there so that probably doesn't help! :p

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Will hit 118k on the car this week when I head to Georgia to visit the folks. Bought it with 74k and really the only issue was the stuck closed thermostat that took out my new water pump that leaked for a long time until finally replaced after the whole cooling system was replaced as well! But yes my A/C compressor kicks in under 5 seconds and then another 5-10 seconds before it gets cold at most. COLD COLD takes a bit longer but not that long! Sounds like they are trying to avoid fixing it under warranty!

PS: How reliable are the newer ones?? Looking at the 2017 T-GDI maybe the Forte5 SX with the same engine not sure yet! The 2.0 isn't bad but could be better but then again I ride a 1255cc bike here and there so that probably doesn't help! :p
Soul BeeIT has been awesome ! I had a Veloster turbo with same power plant as the turbo soul and it was kick ass . Very quick and got 33mpg average . Of course you wouldn't expect that in a box (Soul) but I know it will be better on fuel .

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
Hey Oktavf, my 2014 has only had oil changes in 3.5 years. No problems. A few recall items that were done at oil changes. Seriously reliable.

JD Power continues to rate the 2017 as highly reliable & of course Kia as a brand topped their initial quality list now 2 years in a row, even beating out luxury brands.

201 - 220 of 253 Posts