Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Now you have done it. Be prepared for a full dissertation on how much off roading can be done with the Soul :)
I'm sure someone will :laughonfloor however I would like to see a write up of someone doing this. Its interesting to see things happen in ways they are not designed. This is past power train warranty stuff so anything goes.

·
Super Moderator
9,510 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
I mostly mean modding to make it more appropriate for off roading. I was even able to take my old ford focus off roading at one point. lol I really didn't take care of that car XD

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 1.5 inch lift on the rear and 1 inch in the front just using coil spacers. I'm looking for 2 inch front and rear, possibly with coils. I am currently running 215-75-15s on it with no problems. The car sets 1.5 inches higher than stock with this combination. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I have a 1.5 inch lift on the rear and 1 inch in the front just using coil spacers. I'm looking for 2 inch front and rear, possibly with coils. I am currently running 215-75-15s on it with no problems. The car sets 1.5 inches higher than stock with this combination. Any help would be great.
Coil spacers... how does the Soul ride on the street? Must be a buckboard ride.

On lifting a Soul for off road use,I'm sure it can be done with enough money.
There are lift kits that can be modified by the right shops.
However,the mods don't stop there. Shocks,bearings and other suspension parts.
Then,you have power concerns,especially torque.

Think this lift idea would be for looks only.
But,the ride. Look into a air lift system

·
Registered
539 Posts
If built as pictured, you are going to have trans problems with cv problems and anything connected to it. IMO there is just so many problems ahead if you go off-road, first mudhole you hit and you are finished, jmo again. It will be questionable if you just use it for on-road only. Those wheels and tires are going to weigh close if not over 100lbs each compared to about 40lbs each from the factory, my wheel and tires as is, weighs close to 50lbs each (245/45/17) and it really took a bite on my gas mileage from 28mpg in the city to 25 and less if I run on the interstate not counting the wear and tear on the wheel bearings and ball joints.

Your photoshop is very nice but not doable without problems because there are not that many aftermarket options for the soul. If you can go the route like Bob Chandler (Bigfoot creator) and fabricate your own parts then it is absolutely doable. Good luck.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Coil spacers... how does the Soul ride on the street? Must be a buckboard ride.

On lifting a Soul for off road use,I'm sure it can be done with enough money.
There are lift kits that can be modified by the right shops.
However,the mods don't stop there. Shocks,bearings and other suspension parts.
Then,you have power concerns,especially torque.

Think this lift idea would be for looks only.
But,the ride. Look into a air lift system
I have an Airflit 1000 system on the rear of my Soul,it does not provide lift.It only helps support the rear when it's loaded with passengers and/or cargo in the hatch.The air springs barely contact the upper spring mount and don't really do much until there is weight in the rear seats or hatch area.

My install thread.
http://www.kiasoulforums.com/177-aftermarket-modifications/72057-airlift-1000-rear-helper-air-springs-install-pics.html

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
If built as pictured, you are going to have trans problems with cv problems and anything connected to it. IMO there is just so many problems ahead if you go off-road, first mudhole you hit and you are finished, jmo again. It will be questionable if you just use it for on-road only. Those wheels and tires are going to weigh close if not over 100lbs each compared to about 40lbs each from the factory, my wheel and tires as is, weighs close to 50lbs each (245/45/17) and it really took a bite on my gas mileage from 28mpg in the city to 25 and less if I run on the interstate not counting the wear and tear on the wheel bearings and ball joints.

Your photoshop is very nice but not doable without problems because there are not that many aftermarket options for the soul. If you can go the route like Bob Chandler (Bigfoot creator) and fabricate your own parts then it is absolutely doable. Good luck.

Great topic you brought up.
Unsprung weight added.

For sure,putting on these huge wheels&tires are gonna be a killer.
They look terrific.But,ouch!

From another angle,many vehicle owners do not understand the ADVANTAGE of adding
of adding lighter "shoes". This reduction of unsprung weight does wonders.
Think of a person running with very light running shoes vs heavy combat boots.
Its a regular topic of threads. How to get better performance from my Soul.
Bolt on engine/exhaust wise,there are not many options that do much.
Adding lighter wheels is just not talked about much. The down side on light weight wheels is
the cost. Good ones are pretty pricey. The average Soul guy goes for cheap.

I can relate to the big wheel weight thing from experience. Many years ago,I built a Ford GT
replica kit car on a VW chassis. The VW wheels would look awful. Needed some big honkin mags,right?
Got adaptors to add Chevy wheels. Got some big for it's day ,mag wheels with 60 series tires.
Bolted them babies on. Looked great! Got in the car that had been lightened big time from taking off the
heavy stock body and replace by a fiberglass one that 2 guys could easily lift. I expected a massive change
in power from the stock 40hp engine and sportscar handling.
Did'nt happen.
The steering was terrible. The car did run faster from stock. But not much.
had a wheel almost fall off from a bearing failure.
Now if I had the bucks for light weight wheels(and if they were available in that era...)it would be different.

Yes,as Tape mentioned, there are other things to consider when putting on those big shoes.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The issue is how much lift do you need. You may put on 205/70 r15 tires plus longer springs and receive about 5-6 cm lift or even more (with longer springs in theory you may put on up to 205/80 tires) without complicated modifications. It will make effect in some situations, where you need more clearance. But that real off road wheels IMHO will not make any effect (except visual) without 4x4 drive.

·
Registered
539 Posts
For those that want big wheels and lift need to just wait and hope the concept tracker becomes a reality, 2.0 turbocharged 250hp and awd, this would be built for those 29-30" tires and still have speed and power with a nice exhaust. Kia is thinking right and whoever is making those decisions are heading the tracker on the right "track" ;)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Great topic you brought up.
Unsprung weight added.

For sure,putting on these huge wheels&tires are gonna be a killer.
They look terrific.But,ouch!

From another angle,many vehicle owners do not understand the ADVANTAGE of adding
of adding lighter "shoes". This reduction of unsprung weight does wonders.
Think of a person running with very light running shoes vs heavy combat boots.
Its a regular topic of threads. How to get better performance from my Soul.
Bolt on engine/exhaust wise,there are not many options that do much.
Adding lighter wheels is just not talked about much. The down side on light weight wheels is
the cost. Good ones are pretty pricey. The average Soul guy goes for cheap.

I can relate to the big wheel weight thing from experience. Many years ago,I built a Ford GT
replica kit car on a VW chassis. The VW wheels would look awful. Needed some big honkin mags,right?
Got adaptors to add Chevy wheels. Got some big for it's day ,mag wheels with 60 series tires.
Bolted them babies on. Looked great! Got in the car that had been lightened big time from taking off the
heavy stock body and replace by a fiberglass one that 2 guys could easily lift. I expected a massive change
in power from the stock 40hp engine and sportscar handling.
Did'nt happen.
The steering was terrible. The car did run faster from stock. But not much.
had a wheel almost fall off from a bearing failure.
Now if I had the bucks for light weight wheels(and if they were available in that era...)it would be different.

Yes,as Tape mentioned, there are other things to consider when putting on those big shoes.
SS, reading your post really took me back to the '70's & '80's :applause:
I really enjoyed that part of time

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
For those that want big wheels and lift need to just wait and hope the concept tracker becomes a reality, 2.0 turbocharged 250hp and awd, this would be built for those 29-30" tires and still have speed and power with a nice exhaust. Kia is thinking right and whoever is making those decisions are heading the tracker on the right "track" ;)
Why?

·
Registered
539 Posts
because kia is going to beef up those parts that need it to develop and handle the excess weights. Right not I am not aware of anyone manufacturing any off road parts for the Soul. I believe if the Tracker really comes to life that the aftermarket Soul parts will take a turn for the buyers. Perry Wilson OP really has a good outlook on the Soul and it's potential but right now I do not think it's possible because the Soul is really still new/young to the market. Again, JMO :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
SS, I for one have been looking hard online for a brush-bar and a real skid-plate for the soul but no one makes them, Yet. I would like to have my Soul a true trail vehicle, even just FWD it would be a very agile vehicle.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Depending on the vehicle, you can lift from the body, leaving the suspension unaffected.
Not uncommon to see older vehicles lifted with urethane spacer kits between chassis and body.
Most common on older pickups and jeeps.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Depending on the vehicle, you can lift from the body, leaving the suspension unaffected.
Not uncommon to see older vehicles lifted with urethane spacer kits between chassis and body.
Most common on older pickups and jeeps.
Soul is a unibody design.No chassis to body connection to utilize a body lift.I've had a couple vehicles that I did body lifts on,they can be dangerous in certain situations.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I often wondered what a Soul would look like if it had a lift in it with bigger tires LOL! Though putting a lift in mine would be the last thing I do for modifications. This sounds really cool

21 - 40 of 53 Posts