Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Short Block?? I wonder what that'll cover. There's a ton of labor and additional parts to replace a "short block", Most manufacturers would just drop in a reman engine as it's way cheaper unless they are expecting the owners to shell out the money for the engine rebuild

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,474 Posts
Rod bearing???? This is a whole other level of recalls. First time I hear about this on the Soul. We had this knock detection software in the Optima, and the warranty eventually was upgraded to lifetime on the engine regardless of ownership. This looks identical.
I know, right? This "smells" like the same thing Xx.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 Kia soul that's in my second dealership right now. They are stating that the second catalytic converter is clogged and needs to be replaced but that the primary one is working fine. They are saying that this is an emissions issue and they want to cover it under my extended warranty I have 83,000 miles. I feel that my catalytic converter was not thoroughly inspected when the recall was done in 2019 or the recall did not work. My check engine light never came on and I never experienced any issues until the day in question when it went into limp mode. Does anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
12 Posts
So, I rechecked my update letter and got a COVID update letter from Kia. Here's what it says. Apparently it's for "protecting the engine from excessive connecting rod bearing damage..." But it also says that my short block warranty would be extended another 10 years/120,000 miles (I'm at 82K currently). Anyone get this same letter or have done this specific update? View attachment 133700
I find it interesting the date on your letter. KIA Canada denied any knowledge of this issue as recently as June 2020 (I know they're lying because Transport Canada confirmed the initial investigation was opened up here on Aug. 31, 2019). I actually blew my engine. There is a class action suit pending.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I find it interesting the date on your letter. KIA Canada denied any knowledge of this issue as recently as June 2020 (I know they're lying because Transport Canada confirmed the initial investigation was opened up here on Aug. 31, 2019). I actually blew my engine. There is a class action suit pending.
I'm unaware of any class action suit here in the US. I did ask my cousin, who sold me my car and works at a Hyundai dealer, to see if there's anything I should know about

·
Registered
530 Posts
You said they are covering it so why worry. Fed emissions warranty covers cats for 8 year 80k miles, beyond that it is up the manufacturer or your extended warranty. My fiancee has a Camaro that has failing cats, it got the code at 82k, Chevy will do nothing and her extended warranty spells out they do not cover the cats. They don't do emission testing in my state and when monitoring the data I can say that they are not failed but borderline so I am in no rush to replace them. About every 1k miles or so her check engine light might come on so I gave her a $12 bluetooth OBD II adapter and she shuts it off with her phone. I just ask her to look at the codes and if it is anything other than a p0420 or p0430 for the cats to let me know.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts