Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 1.6L Soul had the ECU programming recall done in May 2019 at 32,461 miles, in December my rear catalytic converter failed at 33,766 miles, only 1300 miles after the recall service. Dealership said it was an internal melt down that clogged the exhaust and not covered under warranty (only front is covered in emission warranty and the bumper to pumper warranty expired). I paid $1485 for the repair. 3 days after the car came back from dealership; I got Check Engine Light again and it was the Front Catalytic Converter. Dealership replaced the front converter under the emission warranty. I filed a claim at Kia Customer Service Center to ask reimbursement under Recall SC176 while the rear catalytic melt down was obviously due to high temperature exhaust resulted from the ECU program issue and subsequently the front catalytic converter failed as well. Today I was informed that Kia is not going to reimburse the repair cost because the repair was done after the recall service. I called the “Customer Service” to dispute the decision, it is obvious that dealership did not discover the issue when they did the recall service and the converters failed only 1300 miles after, I should not be responsible for it while this car has such low mileage. “Customer Assistance” recall department said the decision is final.

If this is how Kia handles recalls, they don’t have to repair anything, just let things fail after so called “recall service”, and leave owners to pay. Ridiculous! What options I have to get my money back?

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,611 Posts
That's ridiculous how they're treating you Hank. Clearly the cats had been damaged and should be replaced under warranty SC176 repair. This has happened to at least one other member here as I recall. I seriously doubt they "examine & inspect" anything. They simply run the software update. I'd also be curious just how they would even adequately determine the insides of a cat. A normal driver should expect longer service from a cat. Yours was prematurely damaged.

From Cars.com:
The catalytic converter, which converts harmful emissions into harmless gas, often lasts 10 years or longer and should be replaced only when needed. It can become clogged, physically damaged, or contaminated by oil or engine coolant. It can also overheat.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Depending on what the written rules say - nothing. (to get your money back) they may have simply ripped you off and are going to get away with it.
You could try the local BBB complaint against that local dealership. You could look up the specifics related to the federal catalytic converter requirements and if in your favor use that information to "encourage" the dealership to make it right before informing the authorities. (refund) Depending on the details filing a BBB complaint against KIA USA might be on the list. A conversation with your State Attorney General might be helpful.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While the claim was rejected by their Recall Department, I resubmitted the claim to their Customer Assistance folks, rejected again. The lady said there is nothing they can do and the decision is final while the repair is done after they did the recall by flashing the ECU. I argued that dealership should have, but did not, discovered the damage to the converter and it failed shortly (1500 miles) after the recall service, they lady basically admitted all they did is flash the ECU. It is a scam to avoid repair cost once you bring your car in to do the recall. I'm pissed, I guess one option I have is bring the case to Small Claim Court, at least make Kia uncomfortable as well, but what is Kia contact info to be the defendant! I will leave dealership out of it, they just do what Kia tells them to do.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
While the claim was rejected by their Recall Department, I resubmitted the claim to their Customer Assistance folks, rejected again. The lady said there is nothing they can do and the decision is final while the repair is done after they did the recall by flashing the ECU. I argued that dealership should have, but did not, discovered the damage to the converter and it failed shortly (1500 miles) after the recall service, they lady basically admitted all they did is flash the ECU. It is a scam to avoid repair cost once you bring your car in to do the recall. I'm pissed, I guess one option I have is bring the case to Small Claim Court, at least make Kia uncomfortable as well, but what is Kia contact info to be the defendant! I will leave dealership out of it, they just do what Kia tells them to do.
This sounds like a class action suit if you're going to sue Kia. Small claims are local, so you would sue the dealership as kia's representative since you paid them, and if you win, they will sort it out with the manufacturer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just got the letter from Kia to come in for the ECU flash. I'm hesitant to go in now after reading this.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I filed a complaint at BBB Auto Line. Likely they will do nothing while it is set up to handle Lemon Law kind of issues, but I want to bring awareness to everyone.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,611 Posts
I just got the letter from Kia to come in for the ECU flash. I'm hesitant to go in now after reading this.
Same here Mike. Is it for the PI2002A ECU update?

Isn't it basically an early-ish warning detection system if your engine is severely low or out of oil? Hence the "knock" followed by limp mode.

I regularly check my oil level and doubt I'd be caught "empty."

With people getting false codes, followed by wasted time & money spent getting it corrected, not sure if I need it.

OTOH, it gives them a reason to not honor the Powertrain Warranty.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, I'm not gonna get it. Not worth worrying over now that I've done some of the mods I wanted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts