Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FORT WORTH (CBS 11 NEWS) - Members of a North Texas church are mourning three of their own, who were killed in a fiery crash Sunday afternoon. Five members of Stewart Chapel Christian Methodist Episcopal Church were driving along Jacksboro Highway to a church function in Azle when the Kia Soul they were in collided with a minivan. The Kia Soul burst into flames upon impact. The driver and passenger escaped with their lives but suffered severe burns on their hands and arms trying to save the three passengers who were in the backseat.
Family members identified the victims as church pianist, Lilly Smith, Henry Sims, 80, and 15 year-old Walter King. By the time help arrived, it was too late. The victims were all very different, but they had one thing in common: their love of God. “Mrs. Smith, she was our pianist and that morning, she was praising the Lord, just happy,” said Nicole Rose, a family of Sims. King had developmental challenges, according to family members, and sang in the church choir. “I don’t care what Sunday you came to church, Walter was smiling and would come up to you like this because he was always wanting hugs,” Rose said. Sims was an outgoing joker, who celebrated his 80th birthday in January. Friends and family say they feel solace knowing the three beloved victims are with the Lord. “I was at peace. I think he’s okay,” said Pam Peyton, Sims daughter. “He was on his way doing what he loved to do, getting ready to go sing and praise the Lord.” The cause of the fire of the Kia Soul has not been determined but government records show 2010 and 2011 models of the Kia Soul have been previously recalled due to fires. Those models of the Kia Soul are susceptible to fires due to wiring.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the picture of the other car showed front end damage, looks like the soul took a pretty good hit from the rear. I still feel safe in my soul but I have always been concerned about a hard impact to the rear.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
I agree, there is two many factors that could cause that an extensive of a fire, I doubt if it would be anything to do with the recall, which should have been fixed anyway. It applied only to 2010 Souls, 2011's were not effected.

This bulletin provides information relating to the replacement of the door trim panel wiring
harnesses used for the lighting in the “Advanced Lighting Speakers” in some 2010MY Soul
(AM) vehicles produced from September 7, 2009 to June 08, 2010 and the “Interior Accent
Illumination” in some 2011MY Sorento (XM) vehicles produced from October 23, 2009 to
July 30, 2010. These wiring harnesses may have been improperly soldered. As a result,
when the lights are illuminated under certain conditions, an electrical short may ensue, and
can result in a fire.

If it did happen it would only scorch the door panel and possible melt some of the plastic panel (have seen a picture on the most serious of the incident)

·
Registered
597 Posts
I agree also. There are too many variables in an accident to pin it down to any one thing without investigating it. Ruptured fuel line? Hood damage shorting the battery? Could been anything. Really sucks for their families. I hate to read news like that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts
So sorry to hear of the lives lost in this horrible accident, by the sounds of it the fuel tank may have been ruptured....just speculation on my part. :(

I've had the recall done on my 2010 Exclaim and I don't see how that could have caused the whole car to burn up.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Any modern car can burst into fire, if in the accident, the high pressure fuel rail on the engine is ruptured and the fuel sprays on the hot exhaust. That almost guarantees instant fire.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts

This is what I see. Exactly why this happened may never be determined due to the extensive fire damage. The report is very vague in the exact nature of the collision with the mini-van, so we can't even guess where the trigger point was and even then you need to know what happened after the initial impact.

We have ample photographic and anecdotal evidence that Souls can take a big hit and the occupants walk away. I can't see any sort of major impact from this one photo. I don't believe that people should be unduly worried about this happening to them because the evidence says different. This was one of those sad combination of circumstances things and the loss of life is tragic.

Hopefully, they will find the cause and hopefully it will be due to something out of the ordinary. Just remember we're not driving Ford Pintos ;)

·
Registered
564 Posts
I betting the fire was caused by, are you ready for this,........

THE COLLISION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
MT-ED;209769Hopefully said:
I remember the Pintos. I was working for a Ford dealer when the recall came out on the 71-73 models. I think I still have one of the pieces they used for it.
The problem on those was in a rear end collision, the gas filler tube could separate from the tank and cause a major fuel leak.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thoughts and prayers go out to that poor family. It's very tragic, especially knowing the event occurred in a Kia Soul.

Like all the Soulsters in here are saying: It doesn't matter how safe or what type of vehicle you drive, anything could go wrong. Don't take that five-star safety rating for granted.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Did your kia dealership offer expertise training in driving front wheel drive car? Yes or no
The Soul isn't a performance car..

It completely avoids any sort of torque steer common in other FWD cars by using electronic stability/traction control.
It has better traction than RWD cars in rain and snow.

Just about all cars on the road these days are FWD.. only sporty performance cars have RWD

1 - 20 of 20 Posts