Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul Base
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2019 Soul Base with under 17000 mile..When the car slows down at a light or stop sign,it kicks or jerks 1 time as car seems to shift to lowest gear .After that one jerk it comes to a stop fine.I didnt notice it on the test drive and brought it to kia and they said they could not duplicate the problem.They said they adjusted the computor to adjust to my driving style and it should stop the issue..It didnt and its frustrating because I have to tense up waiting for the jerk whenever I come to a stop ?? Any ideas,or is this the norm on this small engine ?? Help ?? Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul Base
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am feeling an actual jerk as car downshifts to lowest gear..than its fine...Otherwise the transmission is really smooth when accelerating and slowing down,its just when I get ready to break and car hits that lowest gear,totallty not used to it..thanks

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul Base
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I asked tech to ride with me but due to covid they will not
Also,the tech said he readjusted the computor so it would adjust to my style of driving and I drove for 15 minutes and it was really much better,until the next day...It started over again..This stinks..By the time I get to the dealership,the problem was supposedly not happening,It definately happens for first 15 minutes until everything is hot ?? Ever hear of this ??

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
564 Posts
... much better,until the next day...It started over again..This stinks.... Ever hear of this ??
That sucks. Don't recall reading any similar posts in the time I've been in the forums here.

My car though on the other hand jerks a lot - but that is because it a manual transmission and I am not the smoothest shifting driver in the world.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
You do need to pull into your dealer when it is doing it or spell it out exactly for them how to duplicate your concern so they can monitor the data and see what is going on. Does this happen after you cruised for a bit? Once it starts happening does it continue to happen? If the answer is yes to the previous 2 questions there is something that I will suggest you try that may narrow down the issue.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul Base
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You do need to pull into your dealer when it is doing it or spell it out exactly for them how to duplicate your concern so they can monitor the data and see what is going on. Does this happen after you cruised for a bit? Once it starts happening does it continue to happen? If the answer is yes to the previous 2 questions there is something that I will suggest you try that may narrow down the issue.
I took it to the dealership and the actual manager of the service dept went for a test ride with me and again they couldnt duplicate the problem,It seems to only do it badly when the car has not been driven for a short time,after about 10 minutes or more of cruising it slows down tremendously,It takes 15 minutes to get to the dealership so its already warm,the guy told me that its normal for the 2019-2020 dual clutch trannie to jerk somewhat ??

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul Base
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
...wonder if it might be a temperature thing that only happens when the trans is cold or cool and goes away after the fluids get warmed up...???
That seems to be the issue,During short stop go trips around the neighborhood it keeps doing it,but once I take it on the highway or drive it continually for say 12=15 minutes,it slows almost completely,seems to be a temperature issue,the service manager says its the dual clutch trans from the 2019-2020 models that get the complaints,It still drives me nuts..He said I will eventually get use to it and not realize it...yeah right,getting jerked around..dont think so....

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I took it to the dealership and the actual manager of the service dept went for a test ride with me and again they couldnt duplicate the problem,It seems to only do it badly when the car has not been driven for a short time,after about 10 minutes or more of cruising it slows down tremendously,It takes 15 minutes to get to the dealership so its already warm,the guy told me that its normal for the 2019-2020 dual clutch trannie to jerk somewhat ??
Thought you had a base model, only the turbo has a dual clutch

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul Base
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That seems to be the issue,During short stop go trips around the neighborhood it keeps doing it,but once I take it on the highway or drive it continually for say 12=15 minutes,it slows almost completely,seems to be a temperature issue,the service manager says its the dual clutch trans from the 2019-2020 models that get the complaints,It still drives me nuts..He said I will eventually get use to it and not realize it...yeah right,getting jerked around..dont think so....
I have a base model car

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul Base
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry all,the service manager used the term something or other clutch in the 2019-2020 kia souls,mine is a base...I thought for sure he said dual clutch..but I drive a base and he said my tranny is different from my sisters 2017 soul

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
If you have a 2019 then it is a Gen2 Soul that is identical to your sisters 2017 in most ways. The IVT is for the 2020 and up gen3. Which engine do you have? All the 2019 engines had conventional automatics meaning a torque converter style hydraulic like they have for years. Only 2020 saw the big changes to the automatic with the IVT and the DCT

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul Base
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have the 1.6 smaller engine,I was driving a toyota tacoma and the lease ended and all I could afford was the soul because I wanted a warranty...I paid 11,495 ..the price dropped 4500.00 at autonation toyata in a month because they advertised it as having 61,700 miles..A month earlier the price was 15,995..I just happened to check the car fax and it had 16,700 miles,someone screwed up...I love everything about it except the jerk until it warms up..its a fun little car..They keep telling me at Kia..not to worry,no problems and plenty of warranty left 35 months..Guess I will either have to get use to it or trade it in for something else 😞😞😞😞😞😞

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul Base
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have the 1.6 smaller engine,I was driving a toyota tacoma and the lease ended and all I could afford was the soul because I wanted a warranty...I paid 11,495 ..the price dropped 4500.00 at autonation toyata in a month because they advertised it as having 61,700 miles..A month earlier the price was 15,995..I just happened to check the car fax and it had 16,700 miles,someone screwed up...I love everything about it except the jerk until it warms up..its a fun little car..They keep telling me at Kia..not to worry,no problems and plenty of warranty left 35 months..Guess I will either have to get use to it or trade it in for something else 😞😞😞😞😞😞
Autonation also included a 90 day or 4000 mile full warranty bumper to bumper..they certified it..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts