Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Strange !!! In the 60 years I've been doing oil changes on cars, motor cycles, trucks, tractors, etc., I've never pre-filled an oil filter. I wonder who ever thought up that ridiculous ritual. ???
The oil pump in the engine has always taken care of that little chore, in less than five seconds.

It it were necessary, it would be very easy on the kia Soul, but it's NOT Necessary.

Cheers Mates!
:cool:
Gotta love threads that were thought dead. That's what happens when a search is done on a topic and they don't look at the date before responding.

In regards to filling filters I have almost always done this on large motors with deep sumps. There is something I don't like about hearing the valve train and rockers rattle until the lifters pressurize. Also some diesels have a heui that uses oil pressure to control fuel pressure. On my C15 Cat it took almost a gallon of oil just for the filter and it lasted 1.2 million miles. And I ALWAYS fill the oil filter after a rebuild. It may be a ritual but it is one I do.

All this being said on a small engine like the Kia doing this is a messy waste.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your telling me you guys do not fill the filter

Before installing? What kind crack pot maintenance are you doing? Not all filters will allow you to fill up filter with oil like my Jeeps diesel. But when you can you really should. Why run it dry for any amount of time. Also why would I trust the manuals? Kia can not get Touch up paint pens to match what makes you think they care about specifics on oil capacity. Right now I am finding 3.1 to 3.2 is correct amount. I may try just 3 quarts and see how it looks on dip stick.
the pump will not deliver oil to the bearings until the filter is filled. fill that filter.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Never in my 70 years of doing oil changes have I filled a filter with oil. HOWEVER, a good number of folks on BITOG forum do and feel strongly about it. Far as I'm concerned, it surely can't hurt and might help, especially as finicky as these Kia motors seem to be. Of course no dealer or Jiffy Lube type is going to take the time as time is money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well tell you what you will never touch one of my vehicles. Was watching 2006 jeep Grand cherokee v8 autotranny fluid change on youtube. There are 2 filters one spin on and other square push up. He filled spin on filter with fresh fluid. Pumps do a lousy job of pumping air including water pumps. Priming may take 10 seconds or so to evac the air. When you can fill with fluid you should and like I posted there are many cars that would make no sense like Hondas and my diesel jeep. I am not trying to put you down but even I have taught 40 year ASE Master techs a few things. Internet is great and a very good resource for learning about cars, heck I just learned about viscous heaters for diesels. Also the reason i posted this was to inform people about capacities. I do not trust manuals why you ask for starters my jeep CRD is off almost half quart. That half quart ends up plugging boost sensors and turbo, not to mention obvious problems with foaming up oil and pressures. To be honest I have not even opened up Kia manual maybe I will if there accurate. Just a search for kia soul 1.6 capacity online showed 3.8 and that is what I am going off. If this was BMW it would be dead spot on they make no mistakes. The 3.2 I added is over high fill mark so yes kia manual is wrong lol. Maybe this motor needs 3 quarts oil then what ever filter will take.
If you trust your online search over the manufacturer recommended capacities why are you not running 3.8 quarts?
‘13 base manual, my manual sez 3.49 quarts. In bold print DO NOT OVERFILL
So. When West Mifflin PA stealership unapologetically overfilled with 5q I knew home shop was the only way for me.
I find I use slightly more than the 3.49q.
I also fill my filter.
Try checking yours on a level surface and include the oil you put in filter. You should come closer to the 3.5 then.
Your cars probably dead by now but it probably isn’t cause you been running half quart low

21 - 24 of 24 Posts