Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok changed out my oil and filter yesterday. Very easy to do on this car hardest part is filling blue factory filter with oil. Oil capacity while reasearching online said 3.8 however I just put 3.2ish quarts( not exact with 5 gallon container) in and found it on full. How come specs on new car could be wrong. I did not take my car back to Doug Smith Kia i do not like fact they put 5w30 oil in and overfill every time. If dealer can not do it correct I now will change it myself. Car runs better now go figure with 5w20 in because A not over filled and B thinner oil works better in variable valve timing.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
In the dealerships defense, you usually need to add a tad bit more to compensate for the oil filter. I always change my oil, tighten everything up, then start the car to circulate and let it settle for a while, then check it and add if necessary.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ok changed out my oil and filter yesterday. Very easy to do on this car hardest part is filling blue factory filter with oil. Oil capacity while reasearching online said 3.8 however I just put 3.2ish quarts( not exact with 5 gallon container) in and found it on full. How come specs on new car could be wrong. I did not take my car back to Doug Smith Kia i do not like fact they put 5w30 oil in and overfill every time. If dealer can not do it correct I now will change it myself. Car runs better now go figure with 5w20 in because A not over filled and B thinner oil works better in variable valve timing.
What do you mean by this?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Almost need a decoder ring or something to tell what the hell you're talking about. Do you actually fill the oil filter before installing it?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Your telling me you guys do not fill the filter

Before installing? What kind crack pot maintenance are you doing? Not all filters will allow you to fill up filter with oil like my Jeeps diesel. But when you can you really should. Why run it dry for any amount of time. Also why would I trust the manuals? Kia can not get Touch up paint pens to match what makes you think they care about specifics on oil capacity. Right now I am finding 3.1 to 3.2 is correct amount. I may try just 3 quarts and see how it looks on dip stick.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Before installing? What kind crack pot maintenance are you doing? Not all filters will allow you to fill up filter with oil like my Jeeps diesel. But when you can you really should. Why run it dry for any amount of time. Also why would I trust the manuals? Kia can not get Touch up paint pens to match what makes you think they care about specifics on oil capacity. Right now I am finding 3.1 to 3.2 is correct amount. I may try just 3 quarts and see how it looks on dip stick.
Paint not matching???? I have SOLD over 100 Kia paint pens......not ONCE did a customer come back and say it didn't match!! Did you take it back to the dealership? If so,what did they say?
No,I do not fill any oil filters I have changed,and i've changed plenty!! Why? NO reason to do so!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well tell you what you will never touch one of my vehicles. Was watching 2006 jeep Grand cherokee v8 autotranny fluid change on youtube. There are 2 filters one spin on and other square push up. He filled spin on filter with fresh fluid. Pumps do a lousy job of pumping air including water pumps. Priming may take 10 seconds or so to evac the air. When you can fill with fluid you should and like I posted there are many cars that would make no sense like Hondas and my diesel jeep. I am not trying to put you down but even I have taught 40 year ASE Master techs a few things. Internet is great and a very good resource for learning about cars, heck I just learned about viscous heaters for diesels. Also the reason i posted this was to inform people about capacities. I do not trust manuals why you ask for starters my jeep CRD is off almost half quart. That half quart ends up plugging boost sensors and turbo, not to mention obvious problems with foaming up oil and pressures. To be honest I have not even opened up Kia manual maybe I will if there accurate. Just a search for kia soul 1.6 capacity online showed 3.8 and that is what I am going off. If this was BMW it would be dead spot on they make no mistakes. The 3.2 I added is over high fill mark so yes kia manual is wrong lol. Maybe this motor needs 3 quarts oil then what ever filter will take.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I was talking about ENGINE OIL FILTERS!!! Not ANYTHING to do with TRANS filters....don't you think they are diff???? You say you have NEVER even opened the Kia manual...so......HOW do you in the next sentence or 2, say it's wrong, when you have NO IDEA what is even in there!
Really...the internet is always right? REALLY? Everything is correct just cuz it's on you tube? Funny stuff! So you read a BMW owners manual, but you won't read a Kia manual? Nothing like living under a rock, and only comming out, to go on the net to learn ALL of lifes lesson's.

·
Registered
44 Posts
With the large v8 motors some mechanics would fill the oil filters before installation but that was because the filters took almost 1/2 qt of oil. It's not necessary with today's small 4 cylinder motors and their tiny filters. As It only takes a few seconds for the oil to fill up the filter when the engine is started. Besides, if you don't have a lift it can get a little messy trying to install a pre-filled oil filter.
Here's a thought: What if the manual is correct but the dip stick is wrong? What if they used the same dip stick on the 1.6l and the 2.0l motors?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Brand new out of the factory i've checked both my 13 and 14 Souls and they were exactly right on the full line before anyone ever touched them. Now when I take it to the dealer, if it's not exactly on that full mark they hear about it and do it over BEFORE I even leave the dealer. I let the car sit after they are done ( 10 min ). Then I go out in the parking lot, open the hood and check it. They HATE to see me come in now lol. It sucks keeping a close eye out but it has to be done. The old days of 5 qts. are over mainly where you take it in and pretty much know its full and not overfilled.

And my receipts say 5w20 so i'm trusting thats what they put in VS 5w30. I go to a Kia/Ford dealer so they are using Motorcraft oil. Theres nothing wrong with Motorcraft oil, i've had Fords run on that brand new well over 100K with no issues at all. Kia doesn't make Kia brand oil. But I've always wondered what oil is in a brand new Kia? Anyone know???

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Oil! That topic should be forbidden on all forums. Eh?

What kind of oil is in a brand new Kia? Who knows and really.....who cares? It's Korean after all.

I agree with the guy(s) who said "RTFM"! * (read the friendly manual) * edited for political correctness

There has never been any professional advise to pre-fill the oil filter when putting on a new filter.
Dealers don't do it.....quick oil change places don't do it.... and I don't do it either.*
The car's engine will fill it in less than a second. Your engine will not starve for oil.
* I even start up my car and back it down off of the ramps, before I put in ANY oil at all. No harm, no foul.

My own Owners Manual (yes I do read mine), says that my 1.6L engine requires 3.49 Qt's (3.3L) of 5W20 oil.
Kia does not suggest or recommend any particular brand, but they do give the required specifications for the
oil we should be using.
API Service SM or above.
ILSAC GF-4 or above.

Any Major Brand of 5W20 motor Oil will meet or exceed those spec's. All motor oils are pretty much the same,
and only differ in the Additive Package used by the particular manufacturer. It's the additives that wear out
in an engine, not the oil itself.

Cheers Mates and Happy New Year!

TechnoMage :cool:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Strange !!! In the 60 years I've been doing oil changes on cars, motor cycles, trucks, tractors, etc., I've never pre-filled an oil filter. I wonder who ever thought up that ridiculous ritual. ???
The oil pump in the engine has always taken care of that little chore, in less than five seconds.

It it were necessary, it would be very easy on the kia Soul, but it's NOT Necessary.

Cheers Mates!
:cool:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts