Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it looks like Kia has a $1,000 incentive for the Soul if you're an Uber driver:

Customers eligible for the Kia Motors America, Inc. Uber Driver Partner Specialty Incentive program must be an active Uber Driver Partner and the primary buyer of the vehicle at the time of purchase. Uber Driver Partners are required to show an authorized Kia Dealership Representative display of their Uber Driver Partner Portal Page which verifies the Uber Driver Partner’s picture, name, and email address. Additionally, Uber Driver Partners are required to complete and sign the Uber Driver Partner Specialty Incentive form. Uber Driver Partner incentive valid through January 4, 2016.​

As driving for Uber is always an idea I was kicking around for myself, I was disappointed to find this language in my warranty book:

The 120 month/100,000 mile Power Train Limited Warranty also excludes all coverage for any Kia Vehicle that has been placed into any form of commercial service, including but not limited to taxi, route delivery, livery service, or rental.​

So does anyone know if something has changed? Will driving for Uber void the warranty, or are they making an exception to the commercial service clause for Uber?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Governments around the world are scrambling with how to deal with Uber and it's impact. The only individual(s) that would know the answer to your question is the KIA Warranty Representative. I suspect numerous lawsuits in the future on this topic. What if you take the incentive but decide against being an Uber driver. Is your warranty still void? Are you repaying the incentive? Interesting.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yeah, what if you are an uber driver but only taxi once or twice a week, as a friend of mine does. Easily pays for her weekly gas bill.

I think this may be a rip. Ubers i hear of only do it part time, or should i say 1/3 of their time.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I dont care for Uber myself. It seems like it just hurts real taxi companies who are trying to raise families and pay all the licenses and taxes for the profession that uber drivers are not paying.
It's competition as the price is negotiated and usually lower. It offers a choice.
Do you see me whining about every corporate driven eating establishment that opens in my direct area, nope. Yes they are competing for the same revenue I seek but, you get what you pay for and as they fulfill a basic need to stuff "food like product" into yaps, I provide nutritious, flavorful, thought provoking quality dining experience.
I welcome the competition, it actually makes us unique, thus creating a buzz and draw.
What I don't like is the lack of security for both parties.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My GUESS is the "incentive" is paying new SOUL drivers out for a forfeited warranty.
This way they also have a record of the person driving their vehicle for profit weather you do or not.
I doubt they would track you down and demand the money back if you didn't drive for Uber.
But you wouldn't get your forfeited warranty back.

I don't see Uber drivers' vehicles as commercial vehicles. They are not marked in any way, paid for, or maintained by a commercial service or Uber. The vehicle are personal vehicles their owners gamble with to make a small profit. Uber drivers still have to pay fuel, maintenance, personal insurance, taxes if they make more than 600$ a year, and when the vehicle wears out prematurely from the added mileage they are SOL or responsible for their own replacement.

Summation of my point of view:
Kia has no way of knowing I drive my Soul literally 2 hours a week for Uber which pays the payment and insurance. They couldn't deny my warranty even if they knew I drove for Uber. If an Uber driver buys a soul on the incentive program the fine print most likely says they are paying you to forfeit the warranty.

AGAIN THIS IS ALL MY ASSUMPTION/OPINION

·
Registered
360 Posts
I drive for Lyft a service similar to uber two days a week for about 8-10 hours total each week making me a good amount of extra money on the side as I drive pizza delivery for Dominos as my primary job only making $6 an hour. Left is the only way I'm able to pay for my gas and insurance because all my money at Dominos goes to food and living expenses like rent. The other night I had a taxi driver roll his window down while I was next to him and scream at me for being a Lyft driver. Yes we are "taking business" from them but that brings up two big points. Supply and demand, and competition. We offer cheaper rides because Lyft and Uber figured out how to contract out work and not have to pay "taxi" fees they have to pay. It's the literal definition of survival of the fittest.

Now about the money you get from Kia....I have no idea what's up with that but it really does sound like a warranty payoff.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I drive for Lyft a service similar to uber two days a week for about 8-10 hours total each week making me a good amount of extra money on the side as I drive pizza delivery for Dominos as my primary job only making $6 an hour. Left is the only way I'm able to pay for my gas and insurance because all my money at Dominos goes to food and living expenses like rent. The other night I had a taxi driver roll his window down while I was next to him and scream at me for being a Lyft driver. Yes we are "taking business" from them but that brings up two big points. Supply and demand, and competition. We offer cheaper rides because Lyft and Uber figured out how to contract out work and not have to pay "taxi" fees they have to pay. It's the literal definition of survival of the fittest.

Now about the money you get from Kia....I have no idea what's up with that but it really does sound like a warranty payoff.
When I tried for our local Dominos to make a little extra change, they seemed to offer the world. $10 bucks an hour, plus tips, plus mileage. Maybe it's different in AZ, but here it seemed a decent deal.

As far as Uber/Lyft, it's true there is supply and demand. However, they haven't figured out jack, other than how to use different loopholes in the Labor and Taxi regulations, because the legislature is slow to catch up to technology. It's not really a competition if you play by different rules, which soon is going to change, at least in NYS.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Here in orlando they're making Uber drivers get permits. I think this is not wrong. People are afraid of innovation and competition. People as in businesses. Just like when walmart and amazon exploded onto the scene.

It's a bit of a trade off for people using uber. Barring the whole rape and other allegations, you never know who your driver is. I've thought about driving for them on the weekends for a few hours seeing how i'm up till around 6AM, but then again, i don't want some drunken a** fools in my car.

Maybe after some time this will make taxi drivers revolt and cause their companies to lower the exorbiant lease fees in their cities. Chicago is around $120 per day. Here in orlando it's around $80. Plus those medallions are crazy expensive.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The only aspect of Uber not being regulated where I may agree they should be is the condition of the car. But even at that, the Government being my Mother has to stop. I can't afford them making all my choices for me.
I can call a Taxi, pay more but know there is at least some oversight of who the driver is and the condition of the car. Or I can choose to pay less knowing it is likely a part time driver who only has passed whatever Uber guidelines are, using their own personal car with little to no Government oversight.
By the way, chances of the Uber driver being the problem vs the passenger is tiny. For me we are beyond the point many times where the Government is sincerely protecting the population, to where now they do things to take more money.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Uber is usually more expensive, especially since they have the right to hike their rates during rush hour or high demand times. They also don't have a meter clearly displaying the cost, nor can you know for sure how much you'll end up paying, since you only get an estimate. So yeah, some mother involvement is required.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Uber is not usually more expensive, there is plenty of independent evidence of that. There are times and places Uber can be as expensive or more so, but often you get the car faster than a taxi would get to you. That alone is a deciding factor over cost for many.
If Uber is more expensive or in other ways does not work out, the marketplace will determine that. If they have false advertising, like any company the Government has the right to take action on that.

Add more Government involvement and it won't be less expensive. To those who say the safety of the car is an issue and it can be a threat to not only the Uber passenger but to others on the road...... Then why isn't that car a threat to others on the road or to the driver when it isn't being used for Uber? Either there should be an inspection of every car or not, Uber plays no role in that decision. There is no evidence that States with no inspections have greater risks of an accident than those who do and in fact some of the few States (15 I think) that have them are dropping them or making the inspections for older cars only. But though it sounds good to inspect older cars, it is a fact car defects that account for accidents are by far mostly from brakes and tires. There is no correlation to older cars (Older by State standards normally means 10 years or more) having brakes and tires in a condition to cause accidents. In fact a case can be made cars of three or four years or so may have those problems more so. And it's driver error not equipment failure that by a wide wide margin cause most accidents, around 90%.

Lawmaker eyes dumping Utah's vehicle-safety inspection program | The Salt Lake Tribune
State lawmakers weigh ending ‘unnecessary’ car inspections | Fox News

Cities and towns that want Uber to be treated like Taxis want it for one reason, money. There are a few who honestly think they want it for safety reasons, but if there was no money to be made the drum beat would be barely noticed.

Getting back to the KIA warranty, I do wonder if an Uber driver can use that warranty, would not appear they can, and if not I guess the $1000 could be considered a buy out of it.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Lawmaker looking to abolish safety inspections in the state where they are required every 4 years and cost $15, give me a break, what a champion for the poor. I'd tell him, grow a pair and pick up a real issue if you're concerned about the poor.

I wasn't sure states were regulating Uber for safety inspection. I am only involved as far as their fair pricing practices. Speaking strictly about NYC market, where the world's biggest taxi fleet resides, we have not seen huge demonstrations against Uber, partly because they are consider to be more of a premium service here, more in line of a black car or a limo type. It is still early in the game, so only the future will tell. However, here the public doesn't mind paying a bit more, if only they didn't have to ride in a yellow cab.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Anyone who has either ridden in a cab or even seen one on the road will question the safety of it. at least some of the time. And don't even talk about the drivers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts