Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So background is that I was trying to order a Ford Maverick Hybrid right when the order banks closed, and was informed I can't place an order and that they would accept orders again in August, but that it might be a year or so before delivery.

That doesn't sound very promising, so seeing the refreshed Soul reinvigorated my interest in the model I had looked at before, but asking a dealership I was just told they would tell me when one comes in and that Kia isn't taking orders.

Before I go on a wild goose chase, has anyone confirmed this?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Dealers can reserve a car for you if it is allocated to that dealer, that's about it. You might have to try a few dealers to see who has the one you want on their order list. That's the world today. The good news is that dealerships are starting to get more inventory. I assume that because where I work we haven't had more than 5 cars on the lot for months (they are usually sold from the allocation before they land so very few that are delivered go on the lot) and now we have maybe 20 in stock that are selling really fast but trucks are arriving a few times a week delivering new ones which was definitely not the case just a month ago.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I was also looking at the Ford Maverick Hybrid last year. I was looking at the Maverick Club forum recently and people that ordered last summer are now being pushed back to the 2023 model year. If Ford accepts Hybrid orders again next month, I wouldn’t except delivery for at least12 months…. With that being said, I still think I would choose the Maverick over the Soul.

·
Registered
2020 LX, cherry black
330 Posts
That Maverick is kind of a dream truck that hit the market at the perfect time for Ford. If only the shortage was over, they’d be making a fortune. The Hyundai Santa Cruz is also worth a look though visually awkward.

I read recently that Ford is reimagining another old truck of their’s into a similar package as the Maverick but I forget which— something from the 70’s. It may or may not be released in the US.

I had a GMC Sonoma for years and would love to see a truck that size and body style on the market again. I love the early Tacomas, too.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I had a GMC Sonoma for years and would love to see a truck that size and body style on the market again. I love the early Tacomas, too
I loved the early Tacomas and 90s Nissan Hard Body trucks. If only they didn’t rust as bad as they did back then. I wish automakers would release compact trucks that were actually compact again. Even the new Ranger is huge, the new Canyon is huge. The Maverick is perfect and what I wish the Santa Cruz would have looked like.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That Maverick is kind of a dream truck that hit the market at the perfect time for Ford. If only the shortage was over, they’d be making a fortune. The Hyundai Santa Cruz is also worth a look though visually awkward.
I'm on that forum too, and just gave up after seeing the 2023 announcement. The turbo is a great engine but only available on very expensive trims, not on base models I can afford. The non-turbo engine is mediocre power for that weight vehicle and most importantly not very fuel economic. If it got over 30mpg with the base engine I still would bite, but alas no dice.

The Soul I've liked for a long while now but had little niggles that the '23 update addresses, and I love that it gets the digital display that the Sportage has. Price is right and over 30mpg highway is great. Fully loaded with all the bells and whistles I'm looking at $27.6K out the door which is very much in my budget. Santa Cruz SEL would still be missing some of the bells and whistles of the Soul and would be $29K and the 23mpg is not exciting. Sportage hybrid is an option too, but it seems in the real world they really aren't getting any better mileage than the Soul and would run me about $32.3K in the EX model that isn't a total stripper, quite a big bump from a fully loaded Soul.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,723 Posts
I'm on that forum too, and just gave up after seeing the 2023 announcement. The turbo is a great engine but only available on very expensive trims, not on base models I can afford. The non-turbo engine is mediocre power for that weight vehicle and most importantly not very fuel economic. If it got over 30mpg with the base engine I still would bite, but alas no dice.

The Soul I've liked for a long while now but had little niggles that the '23 update addresses, and I love that it gets the digital display that the Sportage has. Price is right and over 30mpg highway is great. Fully loaded with all the bells and whistles I'm looking at $27.6K out the door which is very much in my budget. Santa Cruz SEL would still be missing some of the bells and whistles of the Soul and would be $29K and the 23mpg is not exciting. Sportage hybrid is an option too, but it seems in the real world they really aren't getting any better mileage than the Soul and would run me about $32.3K in the EX model that isn't a total stripper, quite a big bump from a fully loaded Soul.
Would you ever consider a Crosstrek?
Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Grille Automotive side-view mirror

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Would you ever consider a Crosstrek?
View attachment 139944
I did till I drove one and then ran back to the Mazda dealer and bought a CX3. The ride is absolute mush, the cvt is awful and the interior feels cheaper than the one in subcompacs like the Rio . That was my opinion of it, my brother bought the Crosstrek although he had to wait a few months for his ordered stick shift as he couldn't stand the CVT either, I think his is a 2018 and my Mazda is a 2019 so not sure if the 2023s changed anything.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did till I drove one and then ran back to the Mazda dealer and bought a CX3. The ride is absolute mush, the cvt is awful and the interior feels cheaper than the one in subcompacs like the Rio . That was my opinion of it, my brother bought the Crosstrek although he had to wait a few months for his ordered stick shift as he couldn't stand the CVT either, I think his is a 2018 and my Mazda is a 2019 so not sure if the 2023s changed anything.
Problem with the stick is you can only get the 2.0 with it, which is a bit underpowered for its weight. The 2.5 is the better option.

The Crosstrek Limited trim is not bad (the non-LED headlights are rubbish on the crosstrek), I actually don't mind a mushy ride, and its nice it has at least some tow rating, but overall I just wasn't very fond of the interior and look and what not. Nephew has a Sport trim and likes it though.

I am a bit concerned though that peeps on a Soul forum are recommending I buy something other than a Soul, lol!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
My fiance loves our 2nd gen Soul, it's a 2016 with every single option available from the panoramic roof to the heated and cooled seats. She loves it so much we just sold her beloved Camaro as she chooses the Soul 95% of the time and it's so much more practical. When I rent a car I usually only pay for an economy car and pray that a Soul is available as nothing is as practical and drives as well in it's class. I drive and work on the new ones all the time and we considered trading up but ours has under 50k miles and she can't get the panoramic roof anymore so we felt there's not a good enough reason to have a car payment as the 2016 drives excellent still.
Only reason I bought the Mazda I got 0.9% financing and it's AWD with a very stiff ride that I like but from what you mentioned it's probably not for you.

·
Registered
8,723 Posts
Problem with the stick is you can only get the 2.0 with it, which is a bit underpowered for its weight. The 2.5 is the better option.

The Crosstrek Limited trim is not bad (the non-LED headlights are rubbish on the crosstrek), I actually don't mind a mushy ride, and its nice it has at least some tow rating, but overall I just wasn't very fond of the interior and look and what not. Nephew has a Sport trim and likes it though.

I am a bit concerned though that peeps on a Soul forum are recommending I buy something other than a Soul, lol!
I definitely wasn't recommending the Crosstrek, just asking if you would consider one. Subaru seems to have a cult like following in my neck of the woods. I owned one in the 90s and it had a symphony of rattles in the hard plastic covered interior. Incredibly underpowered, but had 4x4. Reliability was just so-so.

Their interiors have come a long way.
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Speedometer Sky

Reactions: rhysoul

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am not sure in what state you are located in. As of Jan 2022, my dealer was willing to take custom orders. https://www.walkerkia.com/ It's in Alexandria, LA. Since its a brand new car you can easily get it registered out of LA too. ( I guess).

Thanks!
I am in Houston Texas, I will call around then, wouldn't be the first time a dealer has lied! Thanks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
There are definitely other cars that I would prefer, but the Soul is one of the best bang for the bucks. I have a 2021 Soul S and a family member has a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport. Her car was more expensive and doesn’t have the 17 inch alloy wheels like mine, she does not have Apple Car Play, does not have blind spot warning and her car is a lot louder and not smooth. I would rather have the Bronco or a nice truck, but as a budget conscious person the Soul is just the best financial buy. At the end of the day, just need a car to get from point A to point B.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I definitely wasn't recommending the Crosstrek, just asking if you would consider one. Subaru seems to have a cult like following in my neck of the woods. I owned one in the 90s and it had a symphony of rattles in the hard plastic covered interior. Incredibly underpowered, but had 4x4. Reliability was just so-so.

Their interiors have come a long way.
View attachment 139956
I wonder if they still blow head gaskets left and right and guzzle oil. 😳

I had an old Subaru GL Wagon as a winter beater when I was still a teen. Had to keep my Excel in tip top shape and didn’t want to drive it in the winter 😂 The Subie was not a very good car but my example was old and rusty (had a Rusty Jones sticker in the rear window, but it didn’t seem to help) it was good in the snow though. I test drove a newer Impreza in the early 2000s and thought it was pretty nice, but didn’t buy it.

I know a couple people that love Subaru and it could be the worst car ever and they’d go out an buy another one. I can see how it can be cult like. They all seem to have the same terrible bumper stickers on them too 😳

Have a good Forth of July, ya hear! 😎

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Car

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Broncos are going to be impossible to get these days without huge markup, and more importantly for me are gas guzzlers. Even the Bronco Sport isn't very frugal. Something like the Hyundai Tucson Hybrid/ Hybrid Sportage were other options we're considering, although its a decent price bump from even a loaded Soul. The Kona Limited is also not bad, but Soul has more room and again loaded is cheaper.
Some other forum I'm on says you have to be a lesb$$Ian to drive a Subaru. :po_O
I thought it was a "male feminist", and lesbians go for Wranglers. How times have changed! /s

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Broncos are going to be impossible to get these days without huge markup, and more importantly for me are gas guzzlers. Even the Bronco Sport isn't very frugal. Something like the Hyundai Tucson Hybrid/ Hybrid Sportage were other options we're considering, although its a decent price bump from even a loaded Soul. The Kona Limited is also not bad, but Soul has more room and again loaded is cheaper.

I thought it was a "male feminist", and lesbians go for Wranglers. How times have changed! /s
You can't beat the Kia Soul for what you get on it. Compared to the price of similar vehicles they are priced really good. I paid under 25k for my 21ex. I had an 18 base model and the dealer gave me 4k more than I paid for it. That was the main reason I traded. My 21 is already paid off. :)

·
Registered
8,723 Posts
You can't beat the Kia Soul for what you get on it. Compared to the price of similar vehicles they are priced really good. I paid under 25k for my 21ex. I had an 18 base model and the dealer gave me 4k more than I paid for it. That was the main reason I traded. My 21 is already paid off. :)
Good points Hammer! Plus the deal making you did was spot on.

US News tends to agree with your assessment:
Buying Advice
Last Updated: May 27, 2022
Solid Sales:
Though dealerships have moved 17.8 percent fewer models in the first quarter of 2022 relative to the same period in 2021, the Soul is still selling in the top five of the subcompact SUV sales race this year . It has a go to reach the head of the segment, as the class sales-leading Honda HR-V has outsoldthe Soul by about 3 to 1.
Very Low Base Price: The Soul is one of the least expensive options in the class, starting at just $19,290. ASoul Turbo has an MSRP of $27,890, which is about $1,000 less than the segment average for top-end models.
Time to Buy: With such low prices and a high ranking in the subcompact SUV class, the Soul is a great value regardless of market conditions. Check out our Kia deals page for finance and lease incentives available this month that can bring down the purchase price even lower. When you’re ready to buy, use the U.S. News Best Price Program to find the dealership in your area with the lowest price.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Carmax has offered me $26,300 for mine. With prices as high as they are now, no thanks. Besides I like it and my puppers would miss her heated seat in the winter. She only weighs 7 lbs and gets cold easily. The ex has more options than any new vehicle I've owned. :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts