Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Note: this update breaks full screen CarPlay and forces a side card from kias own system. No apparent way to change it back either. Not sure how I feel about that.

Edit: someone on the Seltos forum figured it out! Will need to try this:

I finally figured out how to get CarPlay to go full screen! There is an option in the settings, but you have to have your iPhone UNPLUGGED in order to change the setting. I'll post pictures of where I found this setting.

Go to "Device Connections" and then select Apple CarPlay, and then uncheck the box for "Use Split Screen".
I actually will like the CarPlay to not take the whole screen - I like having the weather out to the side. I'm downloading it now. I'm excited because I've got a 6 hour round trip to drive tomorrow! :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Although i would prefer Android Auto be full widescreen, this is a nice addition if you ask me. I like having the weather or map constantly on that section.
Me too - I like your Mega Man avatar!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I hope it gets rid of the useless "idle time" screen that looks like a cigarette. Throw some MPG data up there! Oh well - I'll be finding out soon enough. LOL!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yeah I had the same thought...or that running water sounds on long commutes sounded like a terrible idea...or that the sound of fire (there is a “fireplace“ sound) is not comforting in my car.

Did this update yesterday. Be aware this takes a LONG time to complete and the car has to be running for it. I think it took 30-45 minutes. I got to the point of leaving the car running hanging out of the garage and keeping an eye on it with my security cam. The new interface is nice, clean refresh. There are nature sounds in there now. Not sure why, that stuff usually puts me to sleep lol.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I just spent 6 hours of quality time yesterday on my Greensboro trip with the new update - a few thoughts.

1 - The cigarette screen is gone - nothing to replace it - it's just gone. (would have been nice to have some graphic MPG info like some other cars have. Like MPG over time displayed in a graph would have been nice)
2 - The nature sounds are pretty cool - but whoever recorded them didn't blend the loop very well - you can tell when it repeats on all of them. Use the bathroom before you leave and the water sounds wont bother you much. ;)
3 - I like the Apple CarPlay window option with the sidebar - this is nice so you can use CarPlay and still have the weather showing, or compass, etc.
4 - The weather app doesn't tell you WHERE the weather is that it's displaying. Hopefully it's exactly where you are at the time - but there's no way to know that...
5 - I used the built in navigation and I liked it. I had Waze open in CarPlay but with no destination so I got audible alerts for speed, police, and hazards which was nice. The navigation now has the option to show your current speed which is nice. Waze does it but now so does the native nav.

I didn't find any flaws or hiccups. Seemed to work smoothly.

I was also hoping they would have included the new Kia K5 feature on the radio where it looks like glass tubes (Nixie tubes) to display the station. That would have been cool!

Oh well - some driving info - detailed MPG data would have been nice, but it's a pretty solid upgrade.

Reactions: eGAK009

·
Registered
2020 Soul EX, Gravity Gray
48 Posts
One change I noticed... in Sound Settings on earlier versions, there was a Position option, where you could drag the location of the audio focus on a plan view of the car interior. That's gone now, replaced by simpler Fader (Front/Rear) and Balance (Right/Left) slider controls under Sound Tuning. It's the same functionality, but a bit of an interface downgrade in my opinion.

·
Registered
172 Posts
One more cool thing - it can display gas prices on the nav screen - or you can search for local gas stations and it displays their prices. Pretty cool.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Question, how will I know when the next update is ready? I know maps need regular updates owning a TomTom and a Garmin and they are simple just plug them into my computer and they'll let me know. The Soul isn't that easy.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Good question, you did have to install program on your computer to load the data on to the flash drive. My hope is that it will provide notifications when new downloads are ready, or notify by email

·
Registered
172 Posts
Good question, you did have to install program on your computer to load the data on to the flash drive. My hope is that it will provide notifications when new downloads are ready, or notify by email
There is a program you download - then choose your vehicle and it downloads the files - then make sure you have a 32GB thumbdrive (it's a 24GB package) for it to put the files onto. A USB 3.0 drive will make the process faster - at least from your PC to the thumbdrive.

·
Registered
172 Posts
One more thing - Make sure to keep your car running for the upgrade.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts