Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tldr; i ain't ever going to a Kia Dealership for Oil Changes ever again. Kia Service Departments either don't know or don't care how to properly service the cars that they sell.

- - - - - - - - -

incredibly, it happened AGAIN. as documented in the now 3 1/2 year-old "Warning: Turbo 1.6L owners" thread, Kia dealerships are STILL screwing up oil changes on Turbo Souls, dropping in 5W20, potentially putting some owners out of warranty, or in danger of damaging their engines.

how is this possible, when "5W30" is LITERALLY PRINTED on the damn oil cap?
they don't care or they're lazy. take your pick.

having already experienced the 5W20 vs T-GDI muckup with one local dealership, i went to a different one, where i detailed my story to the service rep, who mocked his competition, assured me that a) they were the best, and b) that wouldn't happen here and they'd use the correct oil. almost two hours(!!) later, i get the invoice, only to discover that not only did they put 5w20 in my Turbo, they also used CONVENTIONAL. when i confronted them with this, the rep said — with a straight face, when a month ago we saw temperatures hit 40C and beyond — "i usually put 5w20 in. It's better during the summertime." he also dodged my point about not using synthetic.

two different dealerships; same problem with oil changes on a Turbo Soul. after having read this forum and others, plus Reddit and YouTube, it's clear what happened to me is not an isolated incident. it's a KIA DEALER THING.

didn't have time for the dealer to swap it out, so the next day, i took my Soul to a reputable indie garage, where this conversation happened:

mechanic: "what's up?"
me: "i need you to swap the oil. it's a 1.6L Turbo."
mechanic: "so: 5W30 Full Synthetic."
me: "yeah, the dealership put 5W20 in there yesterday."
mechanic: "what? they shouldn't have done that."
me: "conventional, too."
mechanic: "they shouldn't have done that either."
me: "might as well leave the filter, it's brand new."
mechanic: "ok. gimme your key, come back in 15 minutes."

- - - - - - - - -

at this garage, i saw a 2nd gen Kia Sportage waiting to be serviced and chatted up the woman driver. second owner, got it with low mileage, but has since clocked over 230000kms, and only had to replace the water pump. loved her Sportage, said it was ridiculously reliable. notably: she NEVER took it to a dealership — only that garage. (smart!)

this makes me wonder if the issues with some Kia cars and SUVs (fires, failures, faulty recalls, fuel pump leaks, etc.) isn't (only) the fault of manufacturing defects and metallurgy, but rather poor or improper maintenance provided by Kia dealership service departments.

how many Turbo Soul and KIA owners in general might blindly trust dealership service, just because it shares the same brand as the manufacturer of their car?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Either change your own oil or find an oil change place that allows you to bring your own oil. Also, find an oil change shop that allows you watch the oil change take place.

Otherwise, do it yourself. In most cases it's a simple task. Find an auto-parts outlet to recycle your oil. I reward our nearby Advaced Auto auto-parts place, by purchasing something on every visit where I'm returning used oil.

·
Registered
378 Posts
tldr; i ain't ever going to a Kia Dealership for Oil Changes ever again. Kia Service Departments either don't know or don't care how to properly service the cars that they sell.

- - - - - - - - -

incredibly, it happened AGAIN. as documented in the now 3 1/2 year-old "Warning: Turbo 1.6L owners" thread, Kia dealerships are STILL screwing up oil changes on Turbo Souls, dropping in 5W20, potentially putting some owners out of warranty, or in danger of damaging their engines.

having already experienced the 5W20 vs T-GDI muckup with one local dealership, i went to a different one, where i detailed my story to the service rep, who mocked his competition, assured me that a) they were the best, and b) that wouldn't happen here and they'd use the correct oil. almost two hours(!!) later, i get the invoice, only to discover that not only did they put 5w20 in my Turbo, they also used CONVENTIONAL. when i confronted them with this, the rep said — with a straight face, when a month ago we saw temperatures hit 40C and beyond — "i usually put 5w20 in. It's better during the summertime." he also dodged my point about not using synthetic.

two different dealerships; same problem with oil changes on a Turbo Soul. after having read this forum and others, plus Reddit and YouTube, it's clear what happened to me is not an isolated incident. it's a KIA DEALER THING.

didn't have time for the dealer to swap it out, so the next day, i took my Soul to a reputable indie garage, where this conversation happened:

- - - - - - - - -

at this garage, i saw a 2nd gen Kia Sportage waiting to be serviced and chatted up the woman driver. second owner, got it with low mileage, but has since clocked over 230000kms, and only had to replace the water pump. loved her Sportage, said it was ridiculously reliable. notably: she NEVER took it to a dealership — only that garage. (smart!)

this makes me wonder if the issues with some Kia cars and SUVs (fires, failures, faulty recalls, fuel pump leaks, etc.) isn't (only) the fault of manufacturing defects and metallurgy, but rather poor or improper maintenance provided by Kia dealership service departments.

how many Turbo Soul and KIA owners, in general, might blindly trust dealership service, just because it shares the same brand as the manufacturer of their car?
Service Advisors get commission up selling stuff, that's how they make a living. As far as using regular motor oil, it's most profitable. If it breaks down you'll come back for more work!

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul+ 2.0, Black 120k 21-24mpg
16 Posts

- - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - -

how many Turbo Soul and KIA owners in general might blindly trust dealership service, just because it shares the same brand as the manufacturer of their car?
I literally ALWAYS change my own oil.
The dealerships here in LA are terrible, and treat people abysmally, especially the downtown LA location, I wouldn't trust them to wash the car even.
The ONLY time I take it to them is when it's some kind of warranty/recall thing, otherwise, I'm doing the work.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yesterday I learned from a dealer in Mesa Arizona that KIA no longer offers any warranties on their new vehicles. The dealer told me that because we live in Arizona that KIA will not warranty new cars here because of the heat and he told me that if I lived in Alaska KIA will not offer warranties because of the cold.

The dealer, Courtesy KIA in Mesa Arizona, advised us that KIA has implemented a new "no warranty policy"...I got up and walked out of the sales office and told them I was going back to Ford because they still offer 36000 or 36 months, KIA and Courtesy take your KIA's and put them where the sun don't shine.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Yesterday I learned from a dealer in Mesa Arizona that KIA no longer offers any warranties on their new vehicles. The dealer told me that because we live in Arizona that KIA will not warranty new cars here because of the heat and he told me that if I lived in Alaska KIA will not offer warranties because of the cold.

The dealer, Courtesy KIA in Mesa Arizona, advised us that KIA has implemented a new "no warranty policy"...I got up and walked out of the sales office and told them I was going back to Ford because they still offer 36000 or 36 months, KIA and Courtesy take your KIA's and put them where the sun don't shine.
You are sh^^^"ng me!!! Call Kia and report that dealership asap.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I keep posting this because Kia Forums keeps shutting down my post and or comments...Kia needs to stop dealers like this from misleading potential customers....so ask Kia why they keep shutting down my posts...pal

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I keep posting this because Kia Forums keeps shutting down my post and or comments...Kia needs to stop dealers like this from misleading potential customers....so ask Kia why they keep shutting down my posts...pal
I can see all your posts and this site isn’t run by Kia.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is also a load of crap. You need to get your tinfoil hat adjusted. :rolleyes: The only person misleading customers is you!

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,254 Posts
Sounds like BS to me....

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,254 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.