Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Kia is looking to add a little extra panache to its image by dropping the current list of model names in favor of alphanumeric designations. According Chung Eui-sun, to Vice Chairman to Hyundai Motor Co., which owns Kia, the Korean automaker is looking to make the switch in North America. Currently, Kia uses short alphanumeric badges for many of its models in its home-market of South Korean and in other markets throughout the world. For instance, the new Optima sedan, unveiled at the New York Auto Show, is badged as the K5 in Korea. This switch might also result in the Forte changing its name to the K3.

Numerous other models would, however, retain their traditional names, including the Forte Koup, Soul and Sportage. Those models share the same names in Korea.

The decision isn’t final, however, and Kia is worried that an expanded product portfolio, combined with alphanumeric designations, could make for confused consumers. We have to agree.

More: Kia Looking to Scrap Model Names for Alphanumeric Badges on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Either way they will have to be careful cos the various names and letters configurations can produce some amusing results..... Ford almost made a sporty Ka called the "Ka Si"......not quite as bad as Fiat launching the old Fiat Tipo Turbo Diesel in the Uk with the badge "Fiat Tipo Turd".......until the motoring press pointed it out!!!.

Suppose it could be worse tho....imagine if honda built the Soul and did a sporty one...."Type R Soul".......hmmmmm.......lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Case in point, Chevy Nova. In Spanish, Va means 'it goes'. So 'No Va' means it doesn't go, or it doesn't run. Needless to say it didn't sell very well in Mexico and other Spanish-speaking countries.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Once the name is established like "Soul" it should remain as it is because it can get confusing. One of classic example is Miata and its new name MX-5 [past 10 years]. People still associate Miata but not MX-5. Another is Chevrolet always been associated as Chevy and it will always be. I understand changing unpopular vehicle with another can be good but hope KIA doesn’t change "Soul". My wife and many of her friends didn't know KIA was an auto manufacturer and because of our Soul, one is looking into purchasing 11Sorento to replace her Volvo. It takes long time to establish "name" and IMO, using alphanumeric can be confusing unlike Mercedes and BMW that have been using it for many decades unlike MKX, MKS, MKT, and MKZ and Cadillac DTS, STS, CTS and soon BTS. It will be another 10 years before people recognize and associate.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
How weird......MX-5 has always been an MX-5 here from day one......only see Miata appearing on the dodgy personal imports.

·
Registered
67 Posts
This could be...I saw a new model being introduced soon when I was at the training center in Miami and it was called the "K7". Was going to be the new Amanti and it is sharp!

·
Registered
690 Posts
How weird......MX-5 has always been an MX-5 here from day one......only see Miata appearing on the dodgy personal imports.
Name Miata has been around since 1989 and was changed with introduction of NB [gen2-1999] as MX-5. I am pretty sure Europe and other parts of the world was same. Name MX-5 really doesn't associated with "classic English" roadster unless it is trying to mimic Triumph TR5. Miata is a really fun little vehicle.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Name Miata has been around since 1989 and was changed with introduction of NB [gen2-1999] as MX-5. I am pretty sure Europe and other parts of the world was same. Name MX-5 really doesn't associated with "classic English" roadster unless it is trying to mimic Triumph TR5. Miata is a really fun little vehicle.
Dunno about the rest of europe, but in the UK its always been the MX-5 (my then girlfriend had one of the early pop up headlamp models)......the imports i have seen are called the Eunos (i think) and the Miata. The Eunos were the ones to beware of.....apparently they were built to jap spec and had no rustproofing - so they couldnt cope with our salty winters.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Remember what happened to Acura when it dropped the "Legend".
Nothing happened. They kept on building better cars.

·
Registered
114 Posts
No, no, no!!

Dont mess with the name!

Its one of the things that caught my attention & got me looking for it online & its still one of the things I love about it (& not for the religious connotations- I'm afraid I'm pretty much of a heathen.. )

·
Registered
55 Posts
You know the old saying: Why fix something that isn't broke?

I'm an Apostolic born again Christian myself,and also like driving a car that is called (SOUL)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Name or number??

Sounds to me like they are perhaps going down the Citroen/Puegeot rote. Imagine a Kia S1 or maybe a S2, S3 means absolutely nothing. After a while it gets confusing, like having to remember what a C5, C3, C2, C1, 405, 406, 407 look like:(

·
Registered
1 Posts
How to tell a Soul Sport outside 2010

Either way they will have to be careful cos the various names and letters configurations can produce some amusing results..... Ford almost made a sporty Ka called the "Ka Si"......not quite as bad as Fiat launching the old Fiat Tipo Turbo Diesel in the Uk with the badge "Fiat Tipo Turd".......until the motoring press pointed it out!!!.

Suppose it could be worse tho....imagine if honda built the Soul and did a sporty one...."Type R Soul".......hmmmmm.......lol
I am wondering why after paying $5,000 extra for my Soul Sport,there is no SPORT name anywhere to know that it is a Sport with all the extras.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Doesn't matter to me what they do, because mine will still be a "Soul". I wish they'd add the "!" to it though.

·
Registered
502 Posts
when i planned on buying my SOUL....it wasnt just because of its box type look, its unique interior (lighting/audio) or its funky color options but because of its name....."SOUL" ...in china, d badge SOUL @ d back goes w/ a 2U & 4U w/c is pretty cool looking!! that makes the SOUL DIFFERENT from others... i like the way it is on the car....NEVER EVER try changing it!!:mad:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Kia tried this in Korea, and quickly realized the foolishness of it. The Sportage, Morning, and Rio have all been new after the K5....which leads me to believe they have cut that garbage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts