Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Backstory: https://www.kiasoulforums.com/10-so...-rear-main-seal-going-bad-under-warranty.html

I took my car in today to get the rear main seal replaced. About an hour ago I got a call from the dealership saying the tech "didn't like what he saw", called Kia's tech line, and they agreed to give me a new short block under warranty. I'm guessing the seal was fine, but something was up with the crank? Rods?

I didn't notice any engine performance changes, just the gradual oil leak from where the seal is located.

For anyone else who has a 1.6L under warranty with these symptoms, definitely get it checked out! Dealership is currently hooking me up with a complimentary rental.

Edit:
For those who are curious, this is what all is entailed when replacing a short block: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlFEVqkvtc0
Granted, this video is for an Elantra, but it's very similar as far as parts and design is concerned

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,473 Posts
Even though it's a hassle, that's pretty great news Werz! You drove 64,000 miles and now get basically a new engine.

I have often thought of all the Honda's I've owned and they went off warranty in 36 months and 60 months for powertrain. This KIA warranty brings alot of comfort.

Congrats.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:
Picked up my complimentary rental Kia set up through Hertz. Driving a 2019 Soul ��. Funny thing though, there was a woman in line behind me who was also getting the short block of her 2013 Optima replaced, and was there getting a complimentary rental just like I was. I asked the person at the Hertz counter how widespread the issue was, she said they were getting slammed as they were the closest Hertz to the dealership. She said customers on average have had their rentals for three weeks while their cars get the warranty repairs ��

·
Registered
7,473 Posts
Yeah, I'm curious how this repair will affect resale value, if at all
Honestly, I doubt it will matter that much werz. The general public is clueless (I mean really clueless) about these things.

Yeah, you might get someone who tries to make an issue, tell them to get lost. For the most part, I don't see Millennials & younger knowing or caring that much about the inner workings of car engines.

We have just about every major car rating service showing Kia Souls as one of the most reliable vehicles on the road, in some cases beating out the main players. As long as your Soul looks in good condition and runs good, I think you'll get a good price at resale. IMHO :)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I can't imagine it will hurt resale. The engine gets new life and is effectively newer than the rest of the car. What's not to like?
Otoh, what do I know?

·
Registered
181 Posts
In looking at the youtube segment, I didn't see any use of a torque wrench unless that battery powered drill was one. Anyone else see any torquing being done? I know a couple of mechanics and when they are doing warranty work, the auto company states how many hours they will pay....oftentimes it takes longer and the mechanic often takes shortcuts. As stingy as Kia/Hundai are, I'm real pessimistic about getting any quality motor work done. Not much choice, I understand that.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,639 Posts
Update:
Picked up my complimentary rental Kia set up through Hertz. Driving a 2019 Soul ��. Funny thing though, there was a woman in line behind me who was also getting the short block of her 2013 Optima replaced, and was there getting a complimentary rental just like I was. I asked the person at the Hertz counter how widespread the issue was, she said they were getting slammed as they were the closest Hertz to the dealership. She said customers on average have had their rentals for three weeks while their cars get the warranty repairs ��
WOW.
A rental Soul is what sold me on the car. :apple:

You have a free rental, I guess they can take their time with the fix.
Me too.

In looking at the youtube segment, I didn't see any use of a torque wrench unless that battery powered drill was one. Anyone else see any torquing being done? I know a couple of mechanics and when they are doing warranty work, the auto company states how many hours they will pay....oftentimes it takes longer and the mechanic often takes shortcuts. As stingy as Kia/Hundai are, I'm real pessimistic about getting any quality motor work done. Not much choice, I understand that.
That's not encouraging. Hopefully most wrench-spinners are conscientious enough to torque things down properly.

Measure twice, cut once. Do it right and do it once. How many cliches are there suggesting this is a Good Thing?

·
Registered
243 Posts
That's not encouraging. Hopefully most wrench-spinners are conscientious enough to torque things down properly.

Measure twice, cut once. Do it right and do it once. How many cliches are there suggesting this is a Good Thing?
I assure you they torque everything down to proper German spec: Gutentight! :wink-new:

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Backstory: https://www.kiasoulforums.com/10-so...-rear-main-seal-going-bad-under-warranty.html

I took my car in today to get the rear main seal replaced. About an hour ago I got a call from the dealership saying the tech "didn't like what he saw", called Kia's tech line, and they agreed to give me a new short block under warranty. I'm guessing the seal was fine, but something was up with the crank? Rods?

I didn't notice any engine performance changes, just the gradual oil leak from where the seal is located.

For anyone else who has a 1.6L under warranty with these symptoms, definitely get it checked out! Dealership is currently hooking me up with a complimentary rental.

Edit:
For those who are curious, this is what all is entailed when replacing a short block: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlFEVqkvtc0
Granted, this video is for an Elantra, but it's very similar as far as parts and design is concerned
UPDATE
I just wanted to update everyone, after 47 days in the shop my car has been returned to me with a "new" short block (remanufactured), and a machined head.

Crawled under my car, noticed they put back my original oil pan and oil pan drain plug, ha!

All the parts needed in the warranty repair (typed as is):
1x 20910-2BB03 Gasket Kit
10x 22321-2B700 Bolt-Cylinder
10x 22322-2B701 Washer-Cylinde
1x 24410-2B700 Tensioner Assy
1x 35305-2B000 Fuel Tube Assy
2x 11405-06206K Bolt-Flange
1x 279Y2-2BH00AR Reman Short En

Part on Special Order
23311-2B051 Bolt-Drive Pla
11403-08406K Bolt

Will let you know how it drives, it's gonna take getting used to after driving the newer gen rental.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just an update:

Breaking in the new/refurb engine, got about 300 miles on it. City gas mileage is still pretty poor (23ish), highway MPG is where it was prior to all the work being done (32ish).

·
Registered
7,473 Posts
Thanks for update werz. Did they give you any special break in instructions for a rebuild?

I'm thinking your mileage will be more inline after a few tanks of gas.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for update werz. Did they give you any special break in instructions for a rebuild?

I'm thinking your mileage will be more inline after a few tanks of gas.
They broke it in at the dealership, sorta, ran it for maybe a half hour and varied the revs. Caught it on my dashcam.

No instructions whatsoever when I picked it up, though the dealership was slammed with customers for recall work. Babied it the first couple hundred miles, now I'm more willing to take it to higher RPMs (too slow to merge on highways otherwise).

Looking to get a newer vehicle in the next year, that's all the time I need this engine to last!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts