1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2022 LX with Tech Package
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stumbled upon this video:

and then read this article:

On top of all that, Me and my wife were on I-10 W and saw something burning from distant. When we reached closer we saw a Kia Soul burning on I-10 E.

After that my wife is having second thoughts on our Soul. She still loves it. What are your thoughts on this whole article?

I have 22 LX with Tech Package. No recalls so far. Have 10k miles on it. No issues.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Soul X-Line Gray
74 Posts

On top of all that, Me and my wife were on I-10 W and saw something burning from distant. When we reached closer we saw a Kia Soul burning on I-10 E.

After that my wife is having second thoughts on our Soul. She still loves it. What are your thoughts on this whole article?

I have 22 LX with Tech Package. No recalls so far. Have 10k miles on it. No issues.
I own a 2022 soul XLine edition that was built in Dec. 2021. I purchased it in Feb. Our Souls are not part of any of those recalls.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,583 Posts
With all due respect, this video is the father & son duo (car sales: everything YOU need to know guys) who are re-watching old videos and commenting on media reports. Many of them are from Action News Jackie in Florida, who has been going after Kia and Hyundai with half truths & shallow reporting for years. Yeah, we get it Jackie, some Kia's caught fire......but not ALL Kia's.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan boy of any car company. But the media reports that these two are re-watching (kinda lazy) cause me to cringe at the complete lack of in-depth commentary. Did these car owners contribute in any way to the fire? Did they get recalls performed? Was the car out of oil? Why? Why did the high pressure fuel pump leak? Was it removed, worked on?

There is a complete lack of depth in these kind of YouTube click revenue videos. Each car fire has a cause, and playing a video of a screaming car owner watching the car burn, while it makes good "watchin'," it is not worth much more without precise details. Yes, the SKY IS FALLING!

Kia identified the cause, issued a recall, and it seems to have remedied the problem. If an owner claims they were unaware of the recall, well, you can decide on that.

Didn't Toyota recall vehicles years ago because they were accelerating and causing people to drive off of cliffs, crash at high speeds etc? They did a recall and it seemed to have solved that problem.

Look at the tabloid cover for this video: HOW DID THIS HAPPEN. I Can't Believe Hyundai & Kia Let THIS Happen. 5.6 Million Vehicles Recalled

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
With all due respect, this video is the father & son duo (car sales: everything YOU need to know guys) who are re-watching old videos and commenting on media reports. Many of them are from Action News Jackie in Florida, who has been going after Kia and Hyundai with half truths & shallow reporting for years. Yeah, we get it Jackie, some Kia's caught fire......but not ALL Kia's.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan boy of any car company. But the media reports that these two are re-watching (kinda lazy) cause me to cringe at the complete lack of in-depth commentary. Did these car owners contribute in any way to the fire? Did they get recalls performed? Was the car out of oil? Why? Why did the high pressure fuel pump leak? Was it removed, worked on?

There is a complete lack of depth in these kind of YouTube click revenue videos. Each car fire has a cause, and playing a video of a screaming car owner watching the car burn, while it makes good "watchin'," it is not worth much more without precise details. Yes, the SKY IS FALLING!

Kia identified the cause, issued a recall, and it seems to have remedied the problem. If an owner claims they were unaware of the recall, well, you can decide on that.

Didn't Toyota recall vehicles years ago because they were accelerating and causing people to drive off of cliffs, crash at high speeds etc? They did a recall and it seemed to have solved that problem.

Look at the tabloid cover for this video: HOW DID THIS HAPPEN. I Can't Believe Hyundai & Kia Let THIS Happen. 5.6 Million Vehicles Recalled
I read in the past some of the fires were due to reusing the high pressure fuel lines after doing warranty replacement of the engine and they leaked fuel. I believe Hyundai and Kia requires the dealer to use new lines and gaskets whenever they are removed to prevent that from happening. Many of these issues were for the Theta II engines, Soul do not use that engine.

Some of the other engine fires could be caused by the the engine running low on oil and a connecting rod blows out the side of the block dumping oil on the hot exhaust.

I’ve heard of Jackie from Action News before and she seems like nothing more than a click bait bim*o better suited to report on Florida hurricanes…

Microphone Gesture News Font Electric blue

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Yep, like all other manufacturer's that I am aware of, the high pressure fuel lines are one time use only and should be replaced each time it is loosened. Does that actually happen, yes at dealerships and warranty work as the old line is required to be sent back in with other warranty parts. Does it happen at independent shops, I have seen guys laugh that they have never seen a new one and re use them 100s of times. Where were the cars that caught fire serviced, your guess is as good as mine.
As for them blowing engines and catching fire from the oil, it happens all the time. It is a rare day that someone doesn't come into the shop at least 10k-15k miles since last oil change, oil cap and valve train full of sludge from going 15k or more without oil changes often and wonders why their car is in limp mode or has a rod knock and then leaves with it when we tell them we can't service an engine that has been so neglected and requires replacement.

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
627 Posts
...Didn't Toyota recall vehicles years ago because they were accelerating and causing people to drive off of cliffs, crash at high speeds etc?...
Toyota took their darn sweet time before jumping on the problem. Before then, my recollection is, they publicly blamed the drivers involved - ie. pilot error. Maintaining image trumps one or two or three lives lost.

Darn - didn't realize how many may have died due to the problem

May 25, 2010 - Toyota "unintended acceleration" may have killed 89

May 26, 2010 - Death Toll From Toyota's Sudden Acceleration May Be As High As 89

·
Registered
2022 LX with Tech Package
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone for your thoughts/inputs. As I said, we love our Soul. I just wanted to have more information.

I guess away the take away is - Keep your vehicle up to date with service (stick to dealers whenever you can) and Always keep up with recalls if any.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2022 Kia Soul X-Line Gray
74 Posts

You are right. It so happens that abc action news is my local news channel that i watch every day. Jackie Calloway, hmm, she really made a move to scare people from buying Kias and Hyundais. I seen this news footage plenty of times here in Tampa. Did it scare me? No, i went right out and bought a brand new Kia Soul. I did my homework before buying a kia but buying a car is a chance we take driving out of the dealer. All car brands have recalls. I remember when the Firestone recall where there tires were splitting and here in Tampa, a few people died going high speeds on a bridge and their tires were bursting into pieces. The local news made people aware of the issue and said to people using those tires to not drive their cars and get tires replaced. Well, people didnt listen and accidents were happening. I remember one specifically was a ford explorer that i seen while crossing the bridge going to a Tampa Bay Rays baseball game. Recalls happen everyday with everything we buy these days including foods. If there's a recall, just get what needs to be fixed and life goes on. Great comment "GeoSoul".

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
News reports are garbage that are repeated over and over and over. Endless. The sky is falling, the sky is falling. Same old crap over and over. Some News reporter wrote chicken little. I believe 1% of what I read and even less of what I hear.

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
627 Posts
... All car brands have recalls. I remember when the Firestone recall where there tires were splitting ...
I remember Johnny Carson said he was going to sponsor a contest where the winner would win a trip to the Grand Canyon, AND could drive there in their brand new Ford Pinto mounted with brand new Firestone tires.

The idea being that on the drive to the Grand Canyon, if tires didn't blow out, or if the car didn't burst into flames, then the driver would likely drive off the canyon rim - either way the contest winner would be toast.

·
Registered
2013 KIA Soul Base 1.6L Auto
40 Posts

For all we know he could be one of them:rolleyes::alien:

·
Registered
413 Posts

They've had problems in the pass, I asume they've worked out the issues. I do own a 2020 Soul LX with 20,000 miles and haven't had any problems besides the recalls and replacement of the steering assembly. I would buy it again, knowing of these issues love the car!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts