Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Isn't that a bit pricey for two little lights? And they're not even amber. :(

White lights do not cut through fog, snow or rain. They reflect back off of it.

Just sayin'

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Doesn't seem that expensive, since it is the full kit, and isn't just adding a switch on the inside. Plus it seems like most new cars don't use amber lights for fog lights anymore.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Because, young drivers today don't know the technology of what constitutes a true FOG Light.
But they do like the Ultra Bright driving lights.

I've driven many, many miles in heavy fog, rain or snow and I definitely DO KNOW the advantage of having REAL amber fog lights.
And there were times when I was driving in adverse conditions, without fog lights, and I wished to heck that I DID have real fog lights.

I'd surely NOT waste my money on something that was not going to do me any good.
I see cars coming at me at night with those very bright blue/white driving lights and I wish they had them up their A**.
In a heavy fog, those guys will be blind as a bat. In the mean time, they are blinding other drivers on the highway.

Oh well, I'm just glad that I don't have those things on my car.

End

Reactions: Lucy

·
Registered
513 Posts
@ Techno. I agree. I have been running amber fog bulbs since I bought my Soul. They really help me to see the details on the edge of the road when the weather is bad. The Silverstars in my headlights are not that good while driving in the rain on roads without reflectors.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Because, young drivers today don't know the technology of what constitutes a true FOG Light.
But they do like the Ultra Bright driving lights.

I've driven many, many miles in heavy fog, rain or snow and I definitely DO KNOW the advantage of having REAL amber fog lights.
And there were times when I was driving in adverse conditions, without fog lights, and I wished to heck that I DID have real fog lights.

I'd surely NOT waste my money on something that was not going to do me any good.
I see cars coming at me at night with those very bright blue/white driving lights and I wish they had them up their A**.
In a heavy fog, those guys will be blind as a bat. In the mean time, they are blinding other drivers on the highway.

Oh well, I'm just glad that I don't have those things on my car.

End
I've had a couple different colors of fog lights, one was even a rainbow, and never noticed a difference. The only time I had troubles was when the alignment was off.

Anyone know of any actual studies done on which color is better, all of the ones I have seen was based off opinions and not facts.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Personally I just like the look of the driving lights and during the day you can see cars easier in the rain or cloudy day. Most newer cars have daytime running lights, my 2014 Soul Plus did not come with them, instead I had two ugly blank covers where the driving lights should be, then I went to the screen cover with LED lights which looks way better than ugly blank covers. Now I am getting the factory driving lights in a few weeks.... hopefully this will make my car more viable to oncoming traffic. Yellow fog lights from what I have read is a color that works best in the fog, I also agree about what was said about the HID lights they are blinding and seem unsafe for drivers facing them at night.....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for sharing this Old Man Soul! I had looked on eBay a while ago and saw something similar to this for close to $400. Glad to see this is out there. People always point out how cheap the blank covers make my Soul look. I think this would help give me the clean stock look I'm going for. As for functionality, we don't see too much fog in Phoenix. In dust storms, they tell you to turn all your lights off.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I have clear fog lights on my truck and they work just fine.

From this automotive lighting expert: "It is the beam pattern, not the light color, that defines a fog lamp": Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

OR you can listen to the US Department of Energy's Office of Science: " There is no good reason why fog lights are yellow." Fog lights

OR you can just listen to Technomage :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Thanks for sharing this Old Man Soul! I had looked on eBay a while ago and saw something similar to this for close to $400. Glad to see this is out there. People always point out how cheap the blank covers make my Soul look. I think this would help give me the clean stock look I'm going for. As for functionality, we don't see too much fog in Phoenix. In dust storms, they tell you to turn all your lights off.
Just some plastic lenses that look like lights would look ok. Better than some of the drain looking ones. Then again you could use bumper stickers to cover them up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
White lights do not cut through fog, snow or rain. They reflect back off of it.
My 1998 Ford ZX2 had WHITE fog lights; every set of fog lights I've seen were white. And I had no problem with reflecting back because the lights were closer to the ground than the headlights.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The truth is,many add "fog lights" for the looks rather than the function.
On the Soul,the awful blank holes from the fog light holes look terrible.
I had no use for operative fog lights on my 013 +,so I fabricated fillers
for the holes.They look great and a lot less expense and labor(remove the bumper/
wiring etc.).Not much fog in this area.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts