Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my new Plus today, she's a beauty in Clear White, and her name is Lilith.

When the dealer starts to talk about extended warranty, I usually just wave my hand and tell them to save their breath, but today I decided to hear them out. Has anyone purchased the Kia Vehicle Protection Plan? I was contemplating the lowest tier, the Silver. They were offering it to me for $1300 and some change. I have the brochure, but the finance guy had a printed sheet that broke it down much clearer as to what was covered and for how long, so I can't answer any specifics about coverages until he emails it to me.

Since I plan on hanging on to this vehicle for quite some time, I'm giving it some serious thought. Having that type of "insurance" would give a little peace of mind, but only if it was legit. I know that some of these warranty extenders are third party, or make it nearly impossible to get money for claims, and what not. This one, from what I was told, sounds a lot like what my husband bought for his Infiniti a few years ago, and ended up being very worthwhile to defer the cost of damage he incurred while driving down the highway (a paint can fell off of a truck in front of him and he drove over it, ouch).

So - has anyone purchased this specific plan? Good? Bad? Run away? They gave me 24 hours to decide on buying it, and assured me that if I change my mind within 30 days of purchase, I'd get the full purchase price refunded.

thank you!!

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,475 Posts
Hi Felecia and Lilith!

This topic has been discussed at length, many times.

Here's a link to a thread started just a few weeks ago. If you check that page out, scroll down to the red box lower on the page entitled Similar Threads to find more chatter on the topic.

https://www.kiasoulforums.com/137-soul-general-discussion-gen-2/113251-extended-warranty.html

My 2 cents is not to waste your money on extended warranty, especially since you get a FREE warranty and one of the best powertrain warranties in the business with your purchase.

If you search the internet, you'll probably find conventional wisdom backs that up.

All the best to you and Lilith!

Reactions: Feliciasnh

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the link and the forum navigation tips. I have a hard time finding things here - I did do a search before asking. I'll have to sharpen my search skills ;)

In the tiny print on the back of the Kia brochure, sure enough, it shows that Fidelity Warranty Services are the managers for this. TERRIBLE ratings. Putting my $$ in the bank :)

thank you from me and Lilith :)

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,475 Posts
You are most welcome Felicia! Honestly, the Kia Soul is rated very high in reliability and build quality. With a 5 year bumper to bumper and ten year powertrain (everything that makes it run) fully covered, it makes these plans more than likely to never be used.

That's why they sell them!

I had to sit through that whole dog and pony show when I bought mine too, even though I told them NO from the beginning. It was sad to hear the guy try every scare tactic in the book.

Great to have you join us!

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
The first sign this is BS is that they only gave you 24 hours to sign up. You can buy it up to six months after purchase. But I do believe on this car they are a waste of time and money. I had once and got the car covered after the manufacturer's warranty and was never able to collect a penny. Worst 850.00 I ever spent besides the Pacer and Excels (childrens cars) I bought.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,086 Posts
The last 2 vehicles that I purchased an extended warranty on was a waste of money as I never used them. So when I purchased my Exclaim the extended warranty that was offered I refused. 10 years later not one regret! Save your $$$.

Reactions: Feliciasnh

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sales people will get very frustrated when their pitch is rejected. I find their frustration bunches more funny than the frustration they try to cause me with pressure sales tactics.

Every extended warranty that had to be purchased at time of sale, or a few hours later, usually ends up being offerred much cheaper a week later. Then once a month by telemarketeer until Hell freezes over.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Oh my gosh, I bought a brand spankin' new 1987 Hyundai Excel back in the day. That thing started rusting out in less than a year! What a piece of junk they were.

What they were then and what they are now are worlds apart.
Had Hyundai not evolved as it has, we would not be basking in the warmth of Soul ownership today!
A good dealer is as important as a good warranty if not, more so.
The dealer can make/break warranty coverage regardless of what the warranty says.
Trouble is...these cars are so reliable you rarely see your selling dealer especially if you do basic maintenance (oil changes/brakes) yourself.
Dealerships also come/go/change hands & personnel so best thing to do is to start with a reputable model.
While reputable, the souls are not infallible and that's where the dealership/warranty comes in.
For the most part aftermarket warranties are pure money makers for the after sale dept.
If you do purchase one, a factory sponsored one is always preferred.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Oh my gosh, I bought a brand spankin' new 1987 Hyundai Excel back in the day. That thing started rusting out in less than a year! What a piece of junk they were.
The two that I bought for my children did not last more than three years each. I would have been more upset but it was only 10 grand between the two of them :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you purchased this car new, it comes with a great warranty and there would be no need to purchase additional warranty! Beware of pressure tactics by dealers to sell additional warranty and explicable within a specific time frame. Usually one has several days to make that decision!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Additional Warranty Question

If you purchased this Kia Soul brand new, there is absolutely no need to purchase additional warranty! This automobile comes with a wonderful warranty from the manufacturer. Beware of dealers attempting to sell additional warranty, and especially pressuring you to buy within a specific time frame. One usually has several days to make that decision, not 24 hours!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you Weller41# - I definitely did NOT purchase the warranty, and kept the money in the bank :) I'm LOVING the new Soul - she's everything I thought she would be.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I have read that the average markup on an after market warranty is 400%!

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts