Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil on both Souls tonight. I did the oil change on the 2013 last time, but I had the Kia dealer do the oil change on the 2012. They didn't put the oil dipstick back in all the way, and by the time I caught it there was a nice greasy, oily mess under the hood. So I decided for the next oil change - tonight - I would do both of them myself, at the same time. Did both in just under an hour from the time I went downstairs until the time I came upstairs. Easy peasy. But I digress.

When I took the oil filter off the 2013, it was a Kia (Hyundai) filter, big blue, as I expected, because that's what I've been using (some of you might remember my expensive oil filter purchase thread from last year). When I went to take the oil filter off the 2012, I was surprised to see that it was not blue, and had some kind of grip section on the top. I pulled it off of there and it was a Fram Tough Guard oil filter.

What the hell? Was my first thought. I didn't think dealers were allowed to use brands other than Kia. My second thought was "why in the hell would they be using Fram filters"?

Coupled with the gorilla job they did on the plug - I busted my knuckle getting it loose - and on the oil filter - the rubber seal actually came off the filter, the first time I've actually ever had one stuck to the mounting surface despite having done oil changes of over 1 million miles - that oil change was a total hack job.

Thoughts? I was just back at that dealer the other day getting the mileage read for the rebate, and the service manager mentioned that I haven't been back for service in a while. I told him what happened with the oil all over the engine bay, and he looked up the service ticket and said "Oh, that tech's not here any more" and offered to clean up the engine bay if I brought it back for service. I told him I'd see, but now having seen the Fram filter, I can't imagine going back there for any service again, ever.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I would have told the service manager straight up..."If I wanted a ****ty filter and sloppy work, I would have brought it to xyz lube!"
Just another reason why we/I do what we/I can ourselves.
To avoid go-rilla torque tactics and sloppy work.
Yeah...the tech may no longer be there but did he go out and by a fram filter out of his pocket especially for you?
I think not!

·
Registered
863 Posts
jdmartin,

Although I'm not against using FRAM filters, the rest of this is unfortunate. I recently changed my oil and filter and was slightly concerned about what I'd find because my dealer did the previous one for free. I expected to see a stripped drainplug and gorilla-d filter, but all was fine. Phew.

Checking the filter housing O-ring is a good lesson for all; I've only seen it 3 times, but reminding everyone to check that the old O-ring actually came off with your old oil filter is CRITICAL. Having two O-rings accidentally installed will create a mess with oil spewing out of your engine very quickly. My friend's wife drove off once with two filter O-rings and left an oily, smokey trail as if she was skywriting or smokescreening ala James Bond.

Greg

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
It's almost comical, that we're forced to revisit basic mechanical concepts that are much older than most of us.

Cleaning the oil filter mounting surface on the engine block, is the most basic thing I can think of.
Then properly lubricating the seal on the filter, so it doesn't drag against the block and wad up or tear when you install the filter to the proper torque specification. I use DC4, Dow Corning Silicone grease, to lubricate all seals and O-Rings on my car, including the seal on the gas cap.
2793695 - DOW CORNING - Silicone, Compound, DC4, Grease, Tube, 100g | Newark element14

I can think of only one logical reason why any Kia dealership would put a Fram filter on a Kia Soul:

The car is in the shop for an oil change, the mechanic removes the old filter and drains the oil and then goes to the parts dept. for a new Kia oil filter and is told they are out of them. The car is still on the lift, with no oil or filter in it. So the parts man sends a runner out to the local Auto Parts store to pick up a filter that will fit the Kia Soul. He comes back with a Fram filter which is then put on the car. Then they fill the crankcase with a bulk oil that they use on all their cars. My own dealer uses a Shell Blend, or so they say. :pirate:

My own first three oil changes were done by my dealer, for FREE, or so they say. On the last oil change, there was a big drop of oil on the bottom of the filter when I got home. There was also oil on a nearby frame. No, it wasn't leaking, but that just told me that the mechanic wasn't very neat.

With so many horror stories about BAD oil changes, it's no wonder that so many guys want to do their own oil changes.

I consider it a pleasure, to still be able to do my own oil changes, and use an oil and filter that I know and trust.

This was my most expensive oil change, because I added a Magnetic Oil Drain Plug to the mix.

I just did oil change #18, and still no leaks.

Cheers Mates, and Happy Motoring,
FL Hamster :cool:

·
Registered
14,844 Posts
No excuse for not using a KIA oil filter on any KIA that is service at the dealership. If they are not going to use OEM parts I want to know up front and then I will decide.
On my 2012 you could easily see the oil filter, but with my 2016 and the lower engine cover shroud you can no longer see it easily.

I can see a KIA dealership having some other filters in stock as they also get used vehicles in stock and perhaps they service other makes for other people who don't own a KIA. Some people may buy a used vehicle off them and get it serviced by them on a regular basis.

I get my oil changed at my local dealership and have done for over 9 years, no problems so far.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I'd simply bring it back and tell them..."Do you want to replace the oil filter or should I" and let them or get a filter to go!
With knowledge being so abundant regarding O.C.D. (Orange Can of Death) you would think they would at least have used another brand or something with a blue can?
You would think...

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Aren't they putting you at risk of losing valuable KIA warranty coverage as well?

Their own TSB says use of non KIA or commensurate filters can lead to non coverage. It seems ridiculous for them to stick that FRAM filter in.

In reality they are only as good as their weakest link. While they tried to point the finger at the mechanic who "isnt there anymore," the real weakest link is Management that has inadequate quality control procedures (like none). A second set of eyes should look over the work before a customer gets it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Geo Said: "A second set of eyes should look over the work before a customer gets it"

Defeats the purpose of having competent mechanics, no?
What's next...having a second set of eye for tire rotation/inflation?
Especially on something basic as an oil change.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,772 Posts
I never go to the dealership for oil changes. One time is all it took, oil slopped on the engine, fingerprints on the fender and steering wheel...never again!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I don't mind doing my own oil changes. I've done them all my life, and I'd guess with over a million miles drove in my life I've done a few hundred of them. I can't even remember why I let them change the oil on the 2012; I think it was because they sent me one of them $20 offers in the mail. Guess I got my $20 worth :greedy_dollars: Mostly I was just shocked to find a non-Kia filter on there. I guess the fact that they may do filter changes for other makes is a viable reason that they might have other brands of filters there, but in my mind if I'm taking my car back to the dealer that sells those cars, I get OEM maintenance parts. I suppose I should have asked, and if I ever go out and get it done again I will ask from now on for sure.

Edit: I just did the math on a million miles. If I averaged 60 MPH during all that time (not likely), that's almost 2 full years behind the wheel. Holy crap!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Geo Said: "A second set of eyes should look over the work before a customer gets it"

What's next...having a second set of eyes for tire rotation/inflation?
I did DOD work for quite a while, you NEVER inspected your own work for the sign off, you always had a second person sign off on the work you had done. Sort of like having the electrical inspector look over the the work the electrician did for sign off to close the walls.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I'd simply bring it back and tell them..."Do you want to replace the oil filter or should I" and let them or get a filter to go!
With knowledge being so abundant regarding O.C.D. (Orange Can of Death) you would think they would at least have used another brand or something with a blue can?
You would think...
On a Suzuki car I had some years ago, I went to the dealer for my first (FREE) oil change, but....the filter leaked and when I checked it I found that it was not a genuine Suzuki filter. It was actually made by Champ Filters. Such is life!
I actually found this, when I went to do my own Oil Change.

I bagged the old filter and took it back to the dealer, with my statement of consternation, disappointment and dissatisfaction.

I'm glad to be rid of that car....changing the oil filter was a nightmare!

On the other side of the coin, I've never had a car where the oil filter was/is so easy to change as the 2013 Kia Soul. Just look under the car and there it is, hanging down there as plain as a red nose on a wino.

This is for those who have never seen their oil filter before, not for the DIY guys.

Cheers Mates!
FL Hamster :cool:

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
The "leaking" folks may see is usually the oil from topping off the filter before installation dripping down the sides.
When I top off, I wipe the ridge where the oil collects for a drip fee installation.
This way, if i do see oil, I know it will be a leak and not residual oil from the install.
Fastidious takes time and time is $$$, especially to a dealership!
Your oil change takes rack time and is not a huge money maker where/when a brake job or something larger could be on that rack.
Get em in...get em out, is their then and there mentality and sterilizing the patient is not on their radar!
I have doubts that dealerships even pre-fill the filter before installation though I have never been there to know fer-sure.

·
Registered
576 Posts
The "leaking" folks may see is usually the oil from topping off the filter before installation dripping down the sides.
When I top off, I wipe the ridge where the oil collects for a drip fee installation.
This way, if i do see oil, I know it will be a leak and not residual oil from the install.
Fastidious takes time and time is $$$, especially to a dealership!
Your oil change takes rack time and is not a huge money maker where/when a brake job or something larger could be on that rack.
Get em in...get em out is there mentality and sterilizing the patient is not on their radar!
I have doubts that dealerships even pre-fill the filter before installation though I have never been there to know fer-sure.
It's amazing how you can use "there" wrong and "their" correctly in the same sentence. :)

·
Registered
6,023 Posts

What's next...having a second set of eyes for tire rotation/inflation?
I agree srad. In a perfect world you'd think it wouldn't be necessary. But humans make mistakes & bad judgements all the time. Or just have a bad day.

Surgeons leave sponges in patients. Airplane workers put the wrong gasket in a fuel line. A second set of eyes to see if the oil filter is correct or that there is even oil in the transmission should be built into the system.

Maybe someday robots will do that job? Haha!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts