Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am new here; have had my Soul for five days now and I'm loving it! I chose to go with the base model because I wanted MT and the price was great for my budget. So I knew I wasn't getting the keyless entry, but figured I could just have it installed after market. Well, my boyfriend was going to surprise me and have it installed for my birthday next week and he called the dealer today. They told him it wasn't an "available accessory" from Kia and that if I wanted it, I would have to opt for keyless entry/remote start. The remote start greatly increases the cost and we aren't getting a very direct answer whether or not remote start is available on the MT. He was advised by the dealer that he could get keyless entry (which is what I mostly want) elsewhere, but that would void my electronic warranty from Kia. I'm bummed. But do any of you know, without a doubt whether or not remote start is available on a MT?

While I'm thinking about it, I also have my amp and 2 subwoofers I was going to have put into my Soul next weekend, but will doing this also void my warranty, even if I have professionals do it? Maybe it's not worth putting my subs into this car? I don't want to void the electronic warranty this early on (I have about 240 miles). Does anyone have any experience with any of these issues? Any recommendations?

I apologize if these questions have been asked before; I've been lurking on here for a few days and haven't come across a post answering these specific quesitons. Appreciate any help!!

Andrea

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
It's been said that if professionals install your audio equipment, that the warranty will be ok. Double check this with KIA, you can call the customer care line.

KMA Consumer Assistance Center

My personal opinion on the add on aftermarket keyless stuff is to skip it. That's just my own personal opinion. I would rather go without the feature vs risk having some low grade stuff installed that won't last the lifetime of the car.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
There is a way of installing a factory keyless entry - the keyless feature is contained within the BCM. So you have to replace the BCM with a keyless BCM, and then you need a Kia remote that works with that BCM. The newer Souls have the flipout key in the remote, so you'd have to adapt that somehow. The older models use a separate remote, but I don't know if those BCM's will plug into the newer model or not.

Or you could go with an aftermarket kit. If it's done right, it's not going to hurt the system, but warranty claims can always come up depending on the dealer and what they claim.

·
Registered
17 Posts
In the US the are federal laws that prohibit manufactures from voiding warranty based on aftermarket upgrades, unless the failure can be explicitly traced back to the aftermarket mod.
Alarms.com - MECP Explained (first site I found, I used to have a better one).

If the car has power door locks, it will probably be easier, cheaper, and better quality to go aftermarket. As long as you go with a good brand, not unbranded ebay items.
I have installed DEI and OMEGA products for over 10 years and have had good experiences.
Directed - Our Brands
Omega Products

I good installer will take some time to do an install right, so if they tell you 30 min to an hour I would walk. It usually takes me 30 min to disassemble a car correctly and not scratch and dent interior parts. If you hit up a big box store they can be good, I have worked for all of them, look for MECP certified installers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much for your replies. I ended up calling Kia Motors last night and was told if I installed any accesories that were not "Kia approved" by my Kia dealer, it would void my warranty. I was really disappointed until I saw this MECP stuff from Arbies...it gives me hope! The after market shop I was going to go to has been in the business over 30 years; they said they could install my speakers for $90 (including the kit I need so that I can keep my factory stereo installed) and I hadn't priced the keyless entry; I assumed between $200-$300. I am definitely going to look into that law though...I miss my speakers more than I do keyless entry at this point!

Andrea

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,091 Posts
I had a remote starter installed on my Exclaim 2 years ago with zero problems. Just get a good installer and it should be no problem!:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
The dealership where I purchased my 2013 Soul, uses an after market company near the dealership, to install keyless entry, remote start options on the base, with full Kia warranty. Not to do so, would be a foolish move, on the part of the dealership. However, they don't install remote start on a MT at this time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Couldn't you have custom ordered? Or started with a +? (Mine has a security system and a great sound system and its a 2010!) I can get wanting so save money but after a point it's better to just spend the extra money as well

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Couldn't you have custom ordered? Or started with a +? (Mine has a security system and a great sound system and its a 2010!) I can get wanting so save money but after a point it's better to just spend the extra money as well

No, you can't custom order. You get what comes with the package. And the only way to get keyless with a MT is to go up to the plus, which adds another $2500 to the vehicle and the bigger engine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well I like more power anyway --and I thought the sunroof was an *optional* extra on the +? Meaning some level of customisation avalable (mines a + and I'm loving it its doing rather well with everything I'm tossing at it)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts