Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow 2020 Soul owners,

Does it seem like the incidents of blown IVTs on our 2020 Souls have slowed down in recent months? I just checked the 'Car Complaints' web site and the last recorded incident of an IVT failure was on May 26th. Here on KSForums, it has been awhile since anyone reported a failure. Perhaps all the bad IVTs have been purged via failure, perhaps the dealership update is working, perhaps it is wishful thinking on my part, perhaps I am wrong.

Your thoughts......

Reactions: Kerig3

Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
Fellow 2020 Soul owners,

Does it seem like the incidents of blown IVTs on our 2020 Souls have slowed down in recent months? I just checked the 'Car Complaints' web site and the last recorded incident of an IVT failure was on May 26th. Here on KSForums, it has been awhile since anyone reported a failure. Perhaps all the bad IVTs have been purged via failure, perhaps the dealership update is working, perhaps it is wishful thinking on my part, perhaps I am wrong.

Your thoughts......

I was thinking the same thing recently. I think that there's more cars on the lots now that are from later production runs and they may have fixed the issues back at the factory earlier in the year. Whether it was a physical change or a software update that fixed the problem we'll probably never know. I doubt Kia's going to fess up to the public what the original cause of the problem actually was. 馃槱

Reactions: mikewo6o

Registered
2020 Kia Soul LX
I did notice this failure slowdown as well, we could also look at the Kia Forte IVT failure rate as a indicator as it uses same transmission as the Soul.

Registered
Wouldn't read too much into it yet since covid has stalled a huge number of miles being added to cars.
Greg
I鈥檒l not disagree with you but we should find ours relatively son as most of the failures were at a low mileage.

Registered
I鈥檒l not disagree with you but we should find ours relatively son as most of the failures were at a low mileage.
Oh, don't worry, if there is a flaw, it'll show up, be that at 500 miles or 5,000 miles or 50,000 miles. Small problem is covid is helping expire car warranties well before miles are added simply due to time. This relates to why I feel car makers should have requisite warranties covering something close to 7 years/100,000 miles bumper to bumper. Other than a house, cars are our largest "investment" and every car built nowadays should be able to sustain a 7 year/100,000 mile run easily.

Greg

Registered
In over a year of driving almost every day, Covid or no Covid, I had NO problems with my IVT.
When my car popped up on my dealer's Update list, I took my car into my KIA Dealer for the update (re-flash).
From my own knowledge of Computer controlled mechanics, if the computer if not programmed properly, the mechanical device can destroy itself. It's become more and more apparent, that is what happened with the 2020 IVT. That would also depend a lot on just how the driver operated the IVT.

I've had plenty of time now, to evaluate the newly re-programmed IVT, and I can report that I do see a difference, and all of it positive. My new K&N Air cleaner may also enter into this appraisal, but.....
I feel the car's acceleration is better, and the IVT is shifting much smoother than before the re-flash.
Sometimes under heavy acceleration, I can feel the IVT shifting, but under Light use of the GO Pedal, I feel no shift at all. She just GOES!
If I was happy with the IVT before the re-flash, I'm DELIGHTED with it now.
My KIA Service writer said that the upgrade (IVT Re-Flash) was for 'reliability'.

With more and more 2020 Souls getting the IVT upgrade, I fully expect the number of failures to decrease measurably. We can always hope so anyway! :)

Happy Trails, Mates!
FLH :cool:
PS: If you have a 2020 Soul, with the IVT, and you've not received any notice of needing the IVT re-flash, call your KIA dealer and ask about it. That's what I did, to find out that my car was on the re-flash list. That actual job took only 25 minutes, in and out. It's FREE of course!

Registered
2021 Soul EX Undercover Green
Had there been any problems with 2021 souls? Mine was made 4/20. From what I've read I only see 2020. Ivts

Registered
Had there been any problems with 2021 souls? Mine was made 4/20. From what I've read I only see 2020. Ivts
The cut-off date for Souls is any manufactured through 04/17/2021 and the TSB mentions both 2020 and 2021 model years. I would check with the dealer to make sure that the update was done before delivery as the TSB was issued in very early July.

Registered
2020 LX IVT
Fellow 2020 Soul owners,

Your thoughts......
My thoughts are dark.... it sounds like they quietly fixed the problem with continued manufacturing, whereas for those of us who bought the first batch, it would be we are still playing russian roulette. Maybe that's a bit cynical, but between thought of falling to pieces at 65 MPH and the electrical system complete failure (a separate item that's been reported in the 2020) I'm at risk both starting or driving.

Registered
I've written before, about the mating of computers and mechanical systems. I have quite a bit of experience with that scenario. I won't go into detail, again, but KIA did find out that their computer program that runs the IVT, needed some 'Tweaking'. They called it a "Reliability" update, and I can see where they were going with that.
I do see/feel some very subtle differences in my own IVT, after the update. It's actually 'BETTER' , and I like it! I'm not saying that it was not good before, but it's even better now.
I'm all about 'Performance' and my little Jem is definitely a very good performer.
I think I'll keep her! (y)
Cheers Mates!
FLH :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts