Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX Manual Transmission
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
No, not to the devil... but to the dealership.

Because of inflation, and everything is getting pricey, we decided to sell.

We paid $17,599 cash, used it for 16 months and put 11,200 miles, sold yesterday for $20+.

I say it was a win for me... because that cash we had, if it was just sitting in the bank, is still $17,599 today though it has really lost it's value/purchasing power due to inflation.

Don't get me wrong, I like the mpg I get with it, and Manual tranny is fun to drive, but we love our other vehicles too.

It's a third vehicle which was originally bought for my daughter to learn stick, but now she's going away for school, the Soul will just be stagnant.

When the prices get back to normal, and things change for good (economy) in the distant future, I will still consider another Soul....

This forum has been great, many great and helpful members, and excellent informative posts... I will still be around lurking if not joining...

======

The highest offer was from KBB. KBB acts like a search engine searching for dealerships who want to purchase the vehicle. They presented with a few dealerships, and i called around asking if the KBB offer will be what they will pay. I sold to the highest "bidder", which was a Lexus dealership. Very professional sales rep there too.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
This works if you don’t need to replace a vehicle, but if you had to replace it, you’d have to over pay for a new or used car so it may not make as much sense in that case. We live in a clown world right now and used cars increasing in value is not normal. Did you sell it to Carvana or one of those type of dealers?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This works if you don’t need to replace a vehicle, but if you had to replace it, you’d have to over pay for a new or used car so it may not make as much sense in that case. We live in a clown world right now and used cars increasing in value is not normal. Did you sell it to Carvana or one of those type of dealers?
I agree. I went through all those usual places, carvana, camax, cargurus, etc. but the [unnamed dealership for now] gave me the highest offer.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,870 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul+ 2.0l automatic in Clear White
237 Posts
Sad to see another member potentially go. Good on you for turning a potential profit. Seems a little sus waiting on a check from a local dealer, but good luck. Keep us posted. I admit to being tempted to sell as my Soul is valued at about 3k over what I owe. If I could find another Soul for sell around 6k I would love to ditch my payments :cool:

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Bought a 2014 with about 135k from my current employer and I basically had it from 47k so I know the service history as I took it in etc! :) Anyways I got it for peanuts on the dollar for the year and known good history. I bet I could turn it around and make a HUGE profit but I hate having 1 car (233k now on my 2010!) and for the money I won't find anything else like her! :D Sorry to see you go but thanks for letting us know! :)

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,870 Posts
Bought a 2014 with about 135k from my current employer and I basically had it from 47k so I know the service history as I took it in etc! :) Anyways I got it for peanuts on the dollar for the year and known good history. I bet I could turn it around and make a HUGE profit but I hate having 1 car (233k now on my 2010!) and for the money I won't find anything else like her! :D Sorry to see you go but thanks for letting us know! :)
That's terrific mileage on both Souls Oktavf. What's the key to keeping them running so long?

Any oil consumption issue?

·
Registered
489 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
That's terrific mileage on both Souls Oktavf. What's the key to keeping them running so long?

The problem-children for Kia four cylinders are (for the vast majority part) Gen 2's and also into the 3's.
His is a 2010 calendar-make and thus a Gen 1, pre-engine design change. There are some reported earlier makes / models that racked up 300+k on the original engines.

Then came design changes where clogged oil pump screens occurred - soft metallurgy was used to slowly destroy connector rod bearings - recommending wrong / low viscosity motor oils - improper software settings.....etc....etc. including engine fires.

Hopefully the next 10 years Smartstream Engine Era will be much better than the past 10 years of Theta 2's.

Reactions: Oktavf

·
Registered
Former owner 2016 Kia Soul + Clear White 2.0 L GDI
589 Posts
I took the money, well, still waiting for it to be mailed :LOL:
Thanks for posting the update! Great that the dealer paid that much for your car! I thought I did pretty well for selling my 2016 for less than $500 less than what I paid for it 5 years and 50K miles ago. It never dawned on me to check KBB. Just out of curiosity, what did Carvana offer you (or how much less than the dealer)?

What a great dad--teaching your offspring to drive a stick is awesome!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for posting the update! Great that the dealer paid that much for your car! I thought I did pretty well for selling my 2016 for less than $500 less than what I paid for it 5 years and 50K miles ago. It never dawned on me to check KBB. Just out of curiosity, what did Carvana offer you (or how much less than the dealer)?

What a great dad--teaching your offspring to drive a stick is awesome!
Here's Carvana and Carmax....
Product Azure Font Screenshot Parallel
Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Premium Member
236 Posts

Yea both burn a little near the end of their oil change interval. Around 4kish the 2010 starts burning slowly and the 2014 around 2500 miles starts burning a little so I just change the oil early on both if possible! Also using Pennzoil full syn on the 2010 since 75k when I got her and more recently high mileage same oil 5-30w on both since with 10w30 my oil consumption went up (higher oil pressure!?) and car lost power. The 2014 been driving it since 47k for work and did the oil changes religiously at 3k or 5k whatever their sticker said at that time and now using Pennzoil full syn 5w30 as well after I purchased the car from my job. Both using OEM oil filters since I've had them! I'm betting if I changed to conventional oil they'll both burn less. Played this game with other cars that friends owned. Dump full syn in and oil starts burning back to dino and slows down on the burning. I'm gonna mix some 10w30 I have laying around with 5w30 on the next oil change on the 2014 and see what happens!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The sad thing is someone will be dumb enough to pay $22,500 for a used manual transmission Soul that sold new for under $19k

smh 🤦‍♂️
My local Kia lots have been empty for a while. If someone was looking for a manual tranny, they might bite the bullet if they don't want to wait .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts