Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some may have read my recent thread. I just leased a 2020 EX base Kia soul. In my old dealership I could have returned it. Not knocking its looks, I love it it's a step up. But since no one at the dealership new anything about how things worked in the car, I got zero help, I have been figuring things out on my own. I've discovered how the head rests don't move back or forward, my neck was uncomfortable even after one hour of driving. Anyone else have this problem, anything I can do to help? Front seats don't fold down, and the drivers seat doesn't raise. My old 2018 was more comfortable, go figure, plus I LOVED how I could raise the seat I can't do that with this. It is what it is. I guess I need advice about this specific trim, how to work around these issues. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
548 Posts
I'm still not sure what you mean by neck rest. I leaned my head all the way back and the headrest sits far back enough that I found it awkward to drive in that position. Are you talking about the top of the backrest? I'm not sure that was meant to be a neck rest, but I could be mistaken. What you could do is lean the seat back a little more and get one of those foam seat inserts. That should give your neck some space.

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
54 Posts
I'm assuming by neck rest, you mean head rest. The move up and down if you want, but not forward and backward.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,895 Posts
the EX in the US has 8-way power driver's seat standard see page 3-10 in your owners manual for operation. Front seats recline back not forward.
Sounds like the De-Contenting issue raising it's head again.

Reactions: Neanderthal

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the EX in the US has 8-way power driver's seat standard see page 3-10 in your owners manual for operation. Front seats recline back not forward.
Thanks! Yes, figured it out, the manual helped earlier, and fortunately the drivers seat does move forward far enough (the passenger seat does manually) and the seat itself just slightly (not all the way down like my last Kia) but enough to set up a sleeping area for car camping, and extra room when I need to haul stuff. Tis okay. New car jitters. lol

·
Registered
548 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks for the link I'll check it out! Though in my case lumbar support is fine as is. I just need more support for my neck. Sadly I have one of those spines, herniated discs, neck issues. It was so bad 5 years ago I couldn't drive for 7 months and had to wear a neck brace, I've been doing great and these past 4 years I don't want to revisit that, it was hell.

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
457 Posts
Thanks for the link I'll check it out! Though in my case lumbar support is fine as is. I just need more support for my neck. Sadly I have one of those spines, herniated discs, neck issues. It was so bad 5 years ago I couldn't drive for 7 months and had to wear a neck brace, I've been doing great and these past 4 years I don't want to revisit that, it was hell.
You're probably looking for something like this or similar. They can also be found at most auto supply stores.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Some may have read my recent thread. I just leased a 2020 EX base Kia soul. In my old dealership I could have returned it. Not knocking its looks, I love it it's a step up. But since no one at the dealership new anything about how things worked in the car, I got zero help, I have been figuring things out on my own. I've discovered how the head rests don't move back or forward, my neck was uncomfortable even after one hour of driving. Anyone else have this problem, anything I can do to help? Front seats don't fold down, and the drivers seat doesn't raise. My old 2018 was more comfortable, go figure, plus I LOVED how I could raise the seat I can't do that with this. It is what it is. I guess I need advice about this specific trim, how to work around these issues. Thanks in advance!
If you tilt the seat back a bit, that will also change the angle of the headrest. You might be able to find an angle where you are more comfortable. When my wife and I went for a test drive of a 2020, this is the first thing we noticed, the non adjustable headrests (angle & front to back). We keep ours all the way down and the seat back reclined a bit, it's now not an issue for us.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,895 Posts
I hate hearing about these basic things left out of the Gen3 Soul. I get that you can tilt, stuff, wedge a piece of cardboard here and there, but it just seems like a cheap rendition of the nice things in previous generations. I wish they could have built on that & made Gen 3 a knock out version.

I know, I know, the bean counters gotta count beans. But come on, I don't think I've ever owned any car that didn't have an adjustable backstop for my noggin.

·
Registered
78 Posts
A couple of thoughts. First, headrests are NOT for resting your head. They are for preventing neck injury in collisions, so lounging while driving using them for head and neck support is not a really great idea. The headrest should be positioned behind the center of mass of your head (usually centered on the horizontal plane of your eyes) and positioned as close to the back of your head as possible.

The EX has a highly adjustable driver's seat (10-way power) and the steering wheel tilts and telescopes. You can adjust fore-aft position, lumbar support, backrest tilt, seat cushion pitch, seat height, etc. I would mess around with cushion pitch, backrest angle and maybe lumbar to see if I could find a position that accommodates my preferred driving style. In my case, I have a 2020 EX with 11600 miles on it, 75% of which have been long (8+ hour) highway drives. I'm 5'10, 180# and have had no trouble finding a comfortable position, but have spent a lot of time tweaking the various driver's seat adjustment variables and positioning the wheel.

I think you meant that the "passenger" seat doesn't raise rather than "drivers seat". The driver's seat does raise and lower (see owner's manual section 3-10).

Best of luck getting comfy. My only gripe about long distance seat comfort is one that plagues most sub-compacts. I'm not tall but have long arms and legs. The bottom seat cushion is shorter than I like, and offers less thigh support than is optimal. But the only solution I've found for that problem is buying a larger (less efficient) car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts