Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
It's not hard to check oil at a gas stop.
The hard parts are:

Forgot to do it.
They don't have paper towels to wipe the stick by the gas pumps these days, I need to get one from the car.
The oil is so light colored, it's hard to see where the level is.
Maybe it's the orange dipstick tip, like the oil change guy mentioned when I said that. :unsure:
Most stations I go to have these things. Now, if they refill the paper towels is another question, so I keep some handy in the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I made my recall appointment and the car fell apart the same week. I was barely able to get the car to the dealer for an engine replacement. 3 week wait. And did I mention that I'm not happy
I’ve been without my car since 4/24/21. It took almost two months to replace the transmission after it stalled on 4/24.
It's been two weeks since they've attempted to address the recall issue. There is an issue with the on-board computer. They opened an issue with Kia. That's the last ice heard prior to the July 4th holiday.

My big issue is with the lack of communication from the service department. I've made a complaint with Kia who say they've been in contact with the dealer but I'm updating them rather than the reverse.
I'm very close to submitting this as a Lemon Law issue in my state.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
"The oil is so light colored, it's hard to see where the level is. "

Dude, if that's the worse problem you have, you're doing GREAT!
But, at least you look at it! Most drivers today,,,,,DON'T! And, wouldn't even know how.
Like Mr. T used to say, "I pity the fool" 😢

If someone is so inept, that they can't even check their own oil, they should take a Cab.
They have no business driving a car.
:cool:

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I’ve been without my car since 4/24/21. It took almost two months to replace the transmission after it stalled on 4/24.
It's been two weeks since they've attempted to address the recall issue. There is an issue with the on-board computer. They opened an issue with Kia. That's the last ice heard prior to the July 4th holiday.

My big issue is with the lack of communication from the service department. I've made a complaint with Kia who say they've been in contact with the dealer but I'm updating them rather than the reverse.
I'm very close to submitting this as a Lemon Law issue in my state.
That sucks. Way too slow. I hope they at least gave you a loaner.

·
Registered
427 Posts
When the vehicle is new, definitely check the oil level for at least a few times when gassing up. After that, once a month (kinda when you check the tire inflation). You'll get a feel for what's happening. My '91 Acura Integra I had for 19 years and 305,000 ultimately burned oil. I knew exactly when it needed more put in.

Also, as long as the level is between "L" and "F," you're fine. If you plan a long drive cross country, it's best for your mental health to bring it to "F" before you leave.

This isn't rocket science. But then lots of people like to change their tires on the side of the road rather than inspecting them every few months. Go figure.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,874 Posts
So... how did it go?
Hi Lilymay, he hasn't been around for 4 months, but you could try to Private Message him if he doesn't respond.

I've got a 2104 1.6 and had the KSDS (knock sensor detection system) software update done this week. The other 2 recalls I had taken care of a long time ago when they first came out.

This KSDS is simply a software update. After completion Kia extends the long block assembly repair due to connecting rod bearing damage warranty to 15 years/150k miles. They also gave a $60 gift card to get this done now. There are some fine print details including all scheduled maintenance, outlined in the owners manual must be completed and documented (keep those records) to obtain warranty coverage. I'm guessing oil changes being the most important!

Reactions: rhysoul

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Lilymay, he hasn't been around for 4 months, but you could try to Private Message him if he doesn't respond.

I've got a 2104 1.6 and had the KSDS (knock sensor detection system) software update done this week. The other 2 recalls I had taken care of a long time ago when they first came out.

This KSDS is simply a software update. After completion Kia extends the long block assembly repair due to connecting rod bearing damage warranty to 15 years/150k miles. They also gave a $60 gift card to get this done now. There are some fine print details including all scheduled maintenance, outlined in the owners manual must be completed and documented (keep those records) to obtain warranty coverage. I'm guessing oil changes being the most important!
I had my Software upgrade done this week. But no one gave me a $60 gift card! Hmmm. LOL. Maybe they will mail it to me along with my new warranty. I have records, so if anything happens to my long block, I think all I need to show is the paperwork. I asked a couple people "How did it go?" after they said they just had their update becuase I'd like to see some good reports here. Seems we get all the disasters and complaints and it shakes the confidence level of Soul owners.

·
Registered
8,874 Posts
I had my Software upgrade done this week. But no one gave me a $60 gift card! Hmmm. LOL. Maybe they will mail it to me along with my new warranty. I have records, so if anything happens to my long block, I think all I need to show is the paperwork. I asked a couple people "How did it go?" after they said they just had their update becuase I'd like to see some good reports here. Seems we get all the disasters and complaints and it shakes the confidence level of Soul owners.
Here's a copy of the gift card enticement in post #25. I hope they send you one!

Knock Sensor

Reactions: Lilymay30

·
Registered
2022 Turbo, 2016 Exclaim, 2011 Exclaim
39 Posts
I received my recall notification and made an appointment for Friday (07/02/21). On Tuesday afternoon my daughter borrowed the Soul and a few blocks away it stalled. She was able to turn it on again, but it stalled a few more times. Luckily she made it home. This is new, the car had a weird vibration, which I was waiting for the recall inspection but nothing else.

I ended up calling the dealer and they recommended that I call Roadside Assistance and send it in earlier. The car has been at the dealer since Tuesday afternoon and now I wait. I wonder if anyone here has had their engine replaced? Good luck everyone.
I had a similar issue. I was driving home about 2 miles from home, the engine started chattering loudly. The check engine light had come on and the car went into limp mode. Power is cut by 50% when it is in limp mode. I checked the oil when I got home and it was low. I filled back up and it was a milkshake. A few days before this happened, I got a letter from Kia. I had the car towed to the dealer, they were giving me the run around because the mileage was 1000 over the 100000. I called Kia and they stated that because I got the letter, my warranty was now 120000. The replaced everything INSIDE the engine. They kept the block since it was not damaged. It turns out that the piston rings when they were manufactured were not heated evenly and consistently, causing them to be brittle and breakup. Some engines seized up, some caught on fire, etc.

If you don't get the engine work done during the recall inspection, they will set the knock sensor to be more sensitive and put your car into limp mode. Even if they say it is all good, if you have any issue with your engine...STOP and have it towed to the dealer. My car was not on the recall, but was in a group of possible engines.

My first Kia Soul (2011) had a transmission failure at 60000 miles. They replaced the transmission for free (they even gave me a rental). My second one had this issue (2016). I just bought my 3rd one (2022) yesterday. Kia stands behind their vehicles (at least for me), so I will keep buying them.

I hope this helps you with your issue. You should call KIA Customer Support. They can direct the dealer to do things that the dealership won't.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I've never seen that.
Blackish oil, oh yeah. But not red. Weird.
Agree!

I've seen a reddish tint when draining the oil and looking inside the used oil drain pan. But never in over 50 years of oil changes, have I encountered reddish oil on the dipstick.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I'm still waiting for my $60 gift card. It was to be sent out 4 to 6 weeks after the update and still nothing.

·
Registered
8,874 Posts
I'm still waiting for my $60 gift card. It was to be sent out 4 to 6 weeks after the update and still nothing.
Me too Denise. My notice said 30-60 days, so I'm giving them until January 1st and then I'll dig deeper with them. It hasn't quite been 2 months yet. I sure hope they don't botch the VISA cards. I'll post when (if) it comes in.

All the best.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts