Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dropped off my 2020 Soul yesterday at the dealership. Finally got someone today to look at it they supposedly did the recall didn't need the piston rings or new engine so they did a couple things through it. On my way home I noticed it was lacking power, all of a sudden in lost all power and check engine light came on. Call the dealer they told me to take it back apparently they left one of the sensors loose so they got that taken care of. So while I was there I asked about putting 18in rims on it off of another Kia Soul mine has 16 inch rims, they said they wouldn't they didn't recommend that because it could mess up the transmission. Then I said well what about all the people that do it they said those people are taking a chance because if it breaks Kia will say no to the repairs. So I asked him what what can be done they said that it would have to be reprogrammed and it cost about $300 so I guess I'm keeping my 16 inch rims has anyone else heard this?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I received my recall notification and made an appointment for Friday (07/02/21). On Tuesday afternoon my daughter borrowed the Soul and a few blocks away it stalled. She was able to turn it on again, but it stalled a few more times. Luckily she made it home. This is new, the car had a weird vibration, which I was waiting for the recall inspection but nothing else.

I ended up calling the dealer and they recommended that I call Roadside Assistance and send it in earlier. The car has been at the dealer since Tuesday afternoon and now I wait. I wonder if anyone here has had their engine replaced? Good luck everyone.

·
Registered
2020 Soul EX
82 Posts
I received my recall notification and made an appointment for Friday (07/02/21). On Tuesday afternoon my daughter borrowed the Soul and a few blocks away it stalled. She was able to turn it on again, but it stalled a few more times. Luckily she made it home. This is new, the car had a weird vibration, which I was waiting for the recall inspection but nothing else.

I ended up calling the dealer and they recommended that I call Roadside Assistance and send it in earlier. The car has been at the dealer since Tuesday afternoon and now I wait. I wonder if anyone here has had their engine replaced? Good luck everyone.
Same thing happened to me. I made my recall appointment and the car fell apart the same week. I was barely able to get the car to the dealer for an engine replacement. 3 week wait. And did I mention that I'm not happy

·
Registered
508 Posts
I didn't check. But the car was in for it's annual service just a few months ago, and apparently was fine. Whatever is going on, it appears to be surprisingly abrupt. And oddly well timed with the arrival of the recall notice.
OMG.... another owner who never checks the oil level on the dipstick. You should be raising the hood every 500 miles and ALWAYS keeping the oil level at the full mark.

My appointment is at 12:00 today. If it needs a new engine, Kia Finance won't get another dime from me. Our 2020 Kia Soul X-Line will never see my driveway again.

·
Registered
2020 Soul EX
82 Posts
OMG.... another owner who never checks the oil level on the dipstick. You should be raising the hood every 500 miles and ALWAYS keeping the oil level at the full mark.

My appointment is at 12:00 today. If it needs a new engine, Kia Finance won't get another dime from me. Our 2020 Kia Soul X-Line will never see my driveway again.
hmmm. A car that was just at the dealer and only has about 7000 miles on it, and I only drive around town. Nah, I'm not going to check the oil once a month. Plus, if it was down a little, what would have I done. And it's there a sensor for that anyway.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
And it's there a sensor for that anyway.
There is no low oil level sensor or low oil level warning light. There is only a low oil pressure sensor and light. When that comes on, it’s already too late.

The Kia owners manual instructs owners to check their oil regularly. I check mine when I stop for gas. It takes 2 minutes, if that. Refusing to check your oil, even on a new car is just being lazy.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,710 Posts

I'd say every 500 miles is a bit much.

KMF was your first mistake, second one was believing the service advisor knows his ass from his elbow and/or is honest. It took me FOREVER to get my title from KMF, I've used them before but I will NEVER use them again. Once is enough. A title is not a complex proposition.

I really wasnt checking the oil either...a new car with only 10k miles currently on it ...If i wanted to be checking the oil constantly I woulda bought an old beater...I didnt sign up for this
Indeed. Oil check occasionally, every few month or couple of thousand miles, should be quite sufficient for any modern or even not-so-modern car. I'd look around for another KIA dealer if such exists in your area. I've had my Souls serviced at Hyundai dealers, oil filter is oil filter, they can do lots of routine stuff since the parts are common parts.

Reactions: nevets2968

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
The engine oil should ONLY be checked when the engine has been OFF long enough for all the oil in the engine to drain down into the oil pan. A gas stop is way too quick for that to happen. So a good time to check the oil is before you start out for the day, when the engine has been at rest for several hours. And, the car should be as level as possible too.
It's NOT Rocket Science, but it does require a modicum of common sense.
I never did understand the old saying, "fill'er up and check the oil". That would only work if the engine was OUT of oil.
Happy 4th Mates!

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,870 Posts
Refusing to check your oil, even on a new car is just being lazy.
Some people would rather stand on principle, just before they end up standing on the side of the road.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We have an appointment on the 17th to take care of I think 3 recall type issues...

SC155 STR GEAR PINION PLUG (GROUP B)
SC155B -

SC176 ECU UPGRADE (COP LOGIC)
SC176 -

PI2002A ECU UPDATE (KSDS-1.6L GDI)
PI2002A -

We'll see how it goes.
2015 Soul

·
Registered
508 Posts
I really wasnt checking the oil either...a new car with only 10k miles currently on it ...If i wanted to be checking the oil constantly I woulda bought an old beater...I didnt sign up for this
You have the Right to Vehicle Negligence. I find it amusing that people spend $20+K on a product - then ignore it.

Thanks for the laugh today. My 2020 passed the testing with flying colors. Dealer Tech said my engine was the quietest he's tested yet.
It's probably because I baby it - spend money on top products for it and open the hood a-lot.

You & I are Planets Apart.

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX with IVT transaxle in Mars Orange
35 Posts
There is no low oil level sensor or low oil level warning light. There is only a low oil pressure sensor and light. When that comes on, it’s already too late.

The Kia owners manual instructs owners to check their oil regularly. I check mine when I stop for gas. It takes 2 minutes, if that. Refusing to check your oil, even on a new car is just being lazy.
Yep, new or old, I pull the dipstick at each fill up. My 2020 so far uses no oil. I've got 21,000 miles on it now.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
It's not hard to check oil at a gas stop.
The hard parts are:

Forgot to do it.
They don't have paper towels to wipe the stick by the gas pumps these days, I need to get one from the car.
The oil is so light colored, it's hard to see where the level is.
Maybe it's the orange dipstick tip, like the oil change guy mentioned when I said that. :unsure:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts