Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

Just finished replacing headlights, DRLs and Fog lights with LED lights.

12K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  Domvs 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2019 SX Turbo.

Hated the regular incandescent bulbs, so I decided to replace headlights, DRLs and Fog lights with LED lights.

For reference this is the headlights that this model has.

I decided to go with 6000k lights.

For the fog lights I got Diode Dynamics LED Fog lights XP80 bulb (size H8).

Diode Dynamics.

The fog light install was pretty straight forward.

The DRL light also acts as a high beam, so it is important to get a bulb tthat is Dimmable DRL (PWM), otherwise you will not be able to use it as a DRL and a high beam.

After doing a bunch of research I chose one of the highest rated bulbs - Lumibright XT-1 (size H7).

I purchased it from BRI Source. Cants say enough good things about them, they bent over backwards to help me with the install.

The DRL (reflector) were fairly easy to install, and do not require any adapters.

The projector lights were more tricky due to limited space. I had to remove the fuse box on the driver side and a fluid container on the passenger side to get better access.

The projector bulbs also require an adapter (for all thing a Hyundai), which can be bought on Amazon.

Adapter

I am very happy with the results.

See less See more
#8 ·
I have HID on low beams, LED on highs.

Can you test the highs later? because the one I have they splatter the light everywhere but in front of you. Maybe it's my bulbs, idk.

I'm keeping the stock fogs, just in case of bad weather or wet roads.
Have you tried adjusting the high beam leds? There's a set screw you loosen so you can rotate the bulb in the base. Best should be with the led directly to the side. You may have to fool around a little to get it right.

#5 ·
I have a 2019 SX Turbo.

Hated the regular incandescent bulbs, so I decided to replace headlights, DRLs and Fog lights with LED lights.

For reference this is the headlights that this model has.

I decided to go with 6000k lights.

For the fog lights I got Diode Dynamics LED Fog lights XP80 bulb (size H8).

Diode Dynamics.

The fog light install was pretty straight forward.

The DRL light also acts as a high beam, so it is important to get a bulb tath is Dimmable DRL (PWM), otherwise you will not be able to use it as a DRL and a high beam.

After doing a bunch of research I chose one of the highest rated bulbs - Lumibright XT-1 (size H7).

I purchased it from BRI Source. Cants say enough good things about them, they bent over backwards to help me with the install.

The DRL (reflector) were fairly easy to install, and do not require any adapters.

The projector lights were more tricky due to limited space. I had to remove the fuse box on the driver side and a fluid container on the passenger side to get better access.

The projector bulbs also require an adapter (for all thing a Hyundai), which can be bought on Amazon.

Adapter

I am very happy with the results.
Thank you for sharing this information.

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks cooltoy. You like both the low and high beams?

Have you experimented with the LED fog lights in real conditions yet? I ask because I would be worried about the powerful LED fog lights causing whiteouts in some real-time fog and snow storm conditions.

#11 ·
Thanks cooltoy. You like both the low and high beams?

A minor point: I do not believe that any of the OE headlights are incandescent. They are either halogen, HID or LED.

Have you experimented with the LED fog lights in real conditions yet? I ask because I would be worried about the powerful LED fog lights causing whiteouts in some real-time fog and snow storm conditions.
Has anyone tried Amber LED fogs? If I change out the stock bulbs, that's the direction I'm looking.

#20 · (Edited)
LOL!

Personally, I find the extra height in the Xterra makes it easier to see things at night. But if you find a decent projector lens for the Frontier and it behaves well, please share.

I should adjust the stock fog lights on the Xterra. I know they toss glare given the reaction of 18-wheel truck drivers. I sometimes turn the fog lights on long road trips so I can better see the deer and moose along the side of the road. Probably should not do that....

The Soul I still do most of the Fraser Canyon at 120 km/h at night, though I might go 10 km/h slower on the hair-pin turns, e.g., 40 km/h instead of 50 km/h. The stock beam pattern is the best given what I have personally experienced in a sub-compact compact automobile.

#21 ·
LOL!

Personally, I find the extra height in the Xterra makes it easier to see things at night. But if you find a decent projector lens for the Frontier and it behaves well, please share.

I should adjust the stock fog lights on the Xterra. I know they toss glare given the reaction of 18-wheel truck drivers. I sometimes turn the fog lights on long road trips so I can better see the deer and moose along the side of the road. Probably should not do that....

The Soul I still do most of the Fraser Canyon at 120 km/h at night, though I might go 10 km/h slower on the hair-pin turns, e.g., 40 km/h instead of 50 km/h. The stock beam pattern is the best given what I have personally experienced in a sub-compact automobile.
On the Frontier/Xterra, I'll be building my own- but once I get around to it I'll definitely share. There's nothing on the market that I want to buy and just shove into the Frontier, although the Frontier Mods Facebook group has a guy that claims he's working on a ready to install setup that'll be sold from The Retrofit Source sometime this year. We'll see.

For the Soul, yeah the normal incandescent beam pattern is pretty good from the factory, all things considered. I'd be ok with just cranking up the brightness, but we'll see what I actually do.

#22 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a 2016 Kia Soul, low beam h7 projector housing. I bought Kia adapters to mount Novsight N50 H7 but didn't work. Low beam projector housing doesn't have the clip to hold the bulbs. High beam reflector housing does have retaining clip.

Anyone knows which is the correct adapter/holder?

I'm attaching some pictures.

Thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.