Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 SX Turbo.

Hated the regular incandescent bulbs, so I decided to replace headlights, DRLs and Fog lights with LED lights.

For reference this is the headlights that this model has.

I decided to go with 6000k lights.

For the fog lights I got Diode Dynamics LED Fog lights XP80 bulb (size H8).

Diode Dynamics.

The fog light install was pretty straight forward.

The DRL light also acts as a high beam, so it is important to get a bulb tath is Dimmable DRL (PWM), otherwise you will not be able to use it as a DRL and a high beam.

After doing a bunch of research I chose one of the highest rated bulbs - Lumibright XT-1 (size H7).

I purchased it from BRI Source. Cants say enough good things about them, they bent over backwards to help me with the install.

The DRL (reflector) were fairly easy to install, and do not require any adapters.

The projector lights were more tricky due to limited space. I had to remove the fuse box on the driver side and a fluid container on the passenger side to get better access.

The projector bulbs also require an adapter (for all thing a Hyundai), which can be bought on Amazon.

Adapter

I am very happy with the results.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have HID on low beams, LED on highs.

Can you test the highs later? because the one I have they splatter the light everywhere but in front of you. Maybe it's my bulbs, idk.

I'm keeping the stock fogs, just in case of bad weather or wet roads.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2019 SX Turbo.

Hated the regular incandescent bulbs, so I decided to replace headlights, DRLs and Fog lights with LED lights.

For reference this is the headlights that this model has.

I decided to go with 6000k lights.

For the fog lights I got Diode Dynamics LED Fog lights XP80 bulb (size H8).

Diode Dynamics.

The fog light install was pretty straight forward.

The DRL light also acts as a high beam, so it is important to get a bulb tath is Dimmable DRL (PWM), otherwise you will not be able to use it as a DRL and a high beam.

After doing a bunch of research I chose one of the highest rated bulbs - Lumibright XT-1 (size H7).

I purchased it from BRI Source. Cants say enough good things about them, they bent over backwards to help me with the install.

The DRL (reflector) were fairly easy to install, and do not require any adapters.

The projector lights were more tricky due to limited space. I had to remove the fuse box on the driver side and a fluid container on the passenger side to get better access.

The projector bulbs also require an adapter (for all thing a Hyundai), which can be bought on Amazon.

Adapter

I am very happy with the results.
Thank you for sharing this information.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Can you test the highs later? because the one I have they splatter the light everywhere but in front of you. Maybe it's my bulbs, idk.

Have you tried adjusting the high beam leds? There's a set screw you loosen so you can rotate the bulb in the base. Best should be with the led directly to the side. You may have to fool around a little to get it right.

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
267 Posts
Thanks cooltoy. You like both the low and high beams?

EDIT, the following is incorrect (see below): A minor point: I do not believe that any of the OE headlights are incandescent. They are either halogen, HID or LED.

Have you experimented with the LED fog lights in real conditions yet? I ask because I would be worried about the powerful LED fog lights causing whiteouts in some real-time fog and snow storm conditions.

·
Registered
17 Posts

A minor point: I do not believe that any of the OE headlights are incandescent. They are either halogen, HID or LED.

Have you experimented with the LED fog lights in real conditions yet? I ask because I would be worried about the powerful LED fog lights causing whiteouts in some real-time fog and snow storm conditions.
Has anyone tried Amber LED fogs? If I change out the stock bulbs, that's the direction I'm looking.

·
Registered
433 Posts
A minor point: I do not believe that any of the OE headlights are incandescent. They are either halogen, HID or LED.
Halogens ARE incandescent. By the way, optics are high precision items- they're built for the light source that they come with. For a reflector housing, if you change the light source from incandescent to LED or HID, your beam pattern will be all screwed up and you'll throw glare at oncoming traffic. There's a reason why the NHTSA has laws against changing headlight setups on cars. If you swap light source types in a projector housing you might be able to get away with a halfway decent beam pattern and less/no glare drawbacks because of the focusing lens and shields in the housing, but not always.

Bad beam pattern also means less visibility for you as a driver. It may LOOK brighter because of color and contrast, but it won't be more useful to you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

The car is mostly my wifes and she does not drive it in the snow. WE hae a winter vehicle for that. All I I can say that it is way brighter then OEM.

·
Registered
97 Posts

I've ordered some LED high beams for my 2016 with HID low/halogen high & will let you know. I do know the led bulb has to be oriented with the LED's in 3&9 oclock position to work properly in reflector headlights

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've ordered some LED high beams for my 2016 with HID low/halogen high & will let you know. I do know the led bulb has to be oriented with the LED's in 3&9 oclock position to work properly in reflector headlights
Cooltoy, I purchased some Cougar Motors led headlights for the high beam (h7) bulb from
Amazon. You said the high fit with no adapters. The ones I bought are going to need adapters. Were you able to use the oem clip to retain the lights? I tried to get some from Diode Dynamics but they said they don't carry ones for H7 bulbs due to the many different ways to retain them.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Halogens ARE incandescent. By the way, optics are high precision items- they're built for the light source that they come with. For a reflector housing, if you change the light source from incandescent to LED or HID, your beam pattern will be all screwed up and you'll throw glare at oncoming traffic. There's a reason why the NHTSA has laws against changing headlight setups on cars. If you swap light source types in a projector housing you might be able to get away with a halfway decent beam pattern and less/no glare drawbacks because of the focusing lens and shields in the housing, but not always.

Bad beam pattern also means less visibility for you as a driver. It may LOOK brighter because of color and contrast, but it won't be more useful to you.
Thanks again for this. Questions.

I believe that our 2015 Soul EX GDI has the LED brow, projector housing for the low-beam and a reflector housing for the high beam. I could replace both with LEDs or just replace the low beam bulbs in the projector housing.

@phunky.buddha:

I see you own a 08 Frontier. Late last year I upgraded to LED headlights on the 2006 Nissan Xterra. The headlamps are reflector housings and the Hikari LED headlight bulbs appear to work quite well. As far as I am aware, these headlights are not throwing glare at oncoming traffic. This past winter in a nasty, blinding snow storm, these Hikari LED headlight bulbs worked just fine on low beams with none of the painful glare that can occur with the high beams or misaligned low beams.

Trust me. I have no interest in inconveniencing other drivers on British Columbia roads which tend to be rather windy. Narrow in a few places too.

Would guess that most Souls on this forum have separate housings for low and high beams. Are folks on this forum replacing only the low beam headlight bulbs with LEDs or are they also replacing the high beam bulbs? Those installing LED headlights and reporting back are generally not saying.

Don't get me wrong. I think the stock set up is terrific, more than adequate. Both headlights are halogen bulbs unless I am mistaken. Plus I totally get this notion of optical equipment and light bulb technology and design being complimentary.

Then my night vision is still reasonable. My wife's vision is not so good. She goes out of her way to avoid driving at night but in case she gets caught, stronger lights might be helpful.

Right now, I am deciding between one set or two sets of HIKARI Ultra LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit -H7,Prime LED 12000lm 6K Cool White.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Thanks again for this. Questions.

I believe that our 2015 Soul EX GDI has the LED brow, projector housing for the low-beam and a reflector housing for the high beam. I could replace both with LEDs or just replace the low beam bulbs in the projector housing.

@phunky.buddha:

I see you own a 08 Frontier. Late last year I upgraded to LED headlights on the 2006 Nissan Xterra. The headlamps are reflector housings and the Hikari LED headlight bulbs appear to work quite well. As far as I am aware, these headlights are not throwing glare at oncoming traffic. This past winter in a nasty, blinding snow storm, these Hikari LED headlight bulbs worked just fine on low beams with none of the painful glare that can occur with the high beams or misaligned low beams.

Trust me. I have no interest in inconveniencing other drivers on British Columbia roads which tend to be rather windy. Narrow in a few places too.

Would guess that most Souls on this forum have separate housings for low and high beams. Are folks on this forum replacing only the low beam headlight bulbs with LEDs or are they also replacing the high beam bulbs? Those installing LED headlights and reporting back are generally not saying.

Don't get me wrong. I think the stock set up is terrific, more than adequate. Both headlights are halogen bulbs unless I am mistaken. Plus I totally get this notion of optical equipment and light bulb technology and design being complimentary.

Then my night vision is still reasonable. My wife's vision is not so good. She goes out of her way to avoid driving at night but in case she gets caught, stronger lights might be helpful.

Right now, I am deciding between one set or two sets of HIKARI Ultra LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit -H7,Prime LED 12000lm 6K Cool White.
Hey, so the Frontier/Xterra reflector housing beam pattern is so crappy that I don't think it matters what light source you have in it, the beam is still going to suck and not toss glare at people. For my Frontier I bought another set of headlight housings so I could mount high/low HID projectors in, then have a proper beam pattern that's usable to me without being dangerous to oncoming traffic. Still technically not legal, but not unsafe if installed and aimed properly. Since I haven't done it yet, I'm guessing I might go to an LED projector setup. Don't know. As far as your BC setup, not sure if the headlights on D40s (our chassis code) are all the same in north America or if Canada has a different headlight beam pattern. I know that EU and JDM markets have different rules than US, so their beam patterns and there reflector structure are different too.

Not sure if the Souls in the forum are replacing both high and low- I imagine so. I'd actually like to swap housings on my wife's Soul or get another set of base housings and go low/high beam LED or HID with new projectors- but the stock beam pattern isn't bad at all.

·
Registered
267 Posts
LOL!

Personally, I find the extra height in the Xterra makes it easier to see things at night. But if you find a decent projector lens for the Frontier and it behaves well, please share.

I should adjust the stock fog lights on the Xterra. I know they toss glare given the reaction of 18-wheel truck drivers. I sometimes turn the fog lights on long road trips so I can better see the deer and moose along the side of the road. Probably should not do that....

The Soul I still do most of the Fraser Canyon at 120 km/h at night, though I might go 10 km/h slower on the hair-pin turns, e.g., 40 km/h instead of 50 km/h. The stock beam pattern is the best given what I have personally experienced in a sub-compact automobile.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts