Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2012 Kia Soul +
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that the Kia and Hyundai cars are easy to steal due to no key chip immobilizer. I just bought a 2012 Plus and it came with only one key (with flip fob), so I went to get spare keys made and ouch! The cost was tremendous! So they said it can start with plain mechanical key then I got two for $6. But the car theft rings and challenge on TicTok means that it might disappear.
What have members here done to prevent pre-2021 Kia Soul theft?
Also where to get a complete repair manual in PRINT form? I prefer the book not the PDF download.

Thanks!

· Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,238 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forums!!

A kill switch of some kind would be ideal......Stacey David's GearZ Quick Tip: Keep Your Car From Getting Stolen - YouTube

· Registered
2,404 Posts
I read that the Kia and Hyundai cars are easy to steal due to no key chip immobilizer. I just bought a 2012 Plus and it came with only one key (with flip fob), so I went to get spare keys made and ouch! The cost was tremendous! So they said it can start with plain mechanical key then I got two for $6. But the car theft rings and challenge on TicTok means that it might disappear.
Also where to get a complete repair manual in PRINT form? I prefer the book not the PDF download.

Thanks!
Every year I buy an anti-theft policy on case mine gets stolen - it's called insurance. And I bought a manual, which virtually no thieves under the age of 50 can drive.

· Registered
2018 Kia Soul ! Turbo
12 Posts
Ours is keyless but I bought a club for the rare times I park it somewhere iffy. I know that mentioning the club always seems to bring out shouty people all saying how useless it is against real car thieves, but I'm not worried about real car thieves, I'm concerned about 12yo TikTok boys too stupid to realize that our car isn't one of the ones they can steal until after they've smashed the window. Hopefully the big obvious club will deter them from bothering when there are easier targets all around.

· Registered
452 Posts
Ours is keyless but I bought a club for the rare times I park it somewhere iffy. I know that mentioning the club always seems to bring out shouty people all saying how useless it is against real car thieves, but I'm not worried about real car thieves, I'm concerned about 12yo TikTok boys too stupid to realize that our car isn't one of the ones they can steal until after they've smashed the window. Hopefully the big obvious club will deter them from bothering when there are easier targets all around.
I used to have a club. Locking it with the key slot toward the dashboard made it a bit more secure, but if you don't, check this YT video and see how quickly it can be defeated. I suspect a battery-powered grinder will work just as fast.
(6) Remove club steering wheel lock in a few seconds!!! (they are not very secure) - YouTube

· Registered
452 Posts

Thanks!
I have a combination cable lock that I thread through the steering wheel and the door handle. One friend I knew had his car stolen and he added bolted a chain to the floorboard and when he parked he threaded it through the steering wheel.

· Registered
2014 1.6l manual
878 Posts
I have a combination cable lock that I thread through the steering wheel and the door handle. One friend I knew had his car stolen and he added bolted a chain to the floorboard and when he parked he threaded it through the steering wheel.
Back before portable battery powdered tools were so prevalent the arguement against The Club was that all a would be thief would have to do is hacksaw through the steering wheel and slip The Club right off.

If someone is determined to get the car then using the appropriate tool whether be it a drill or a grinder fitted with appropriate cutting wheel will make short work of any of these steering attached theft-deterrent devices.

I know of a business where catalytic converters have been stolen fives times from work vehicles - portable grinders make it pretty easy. I presume a steering wheel would be able to resist such an attack for all of half a second.

Heck Milwaukee even makes a battery powered bolt cutter.

· Registered
2014 1.6l manual
878 Posts
... but I'm not worried about real car thieves, I'm concerned about 12yo TikTok boys too stupid to realize that our car isn't one of the ones they can steal until after they've smashed the window. Hopefully the big obvious club will deter them from bothering when there are easier targets all around.
Same here. Well almost. I have a manual transmission. I use a club-like device so that hopefully a would-be amateur thief will move on before otherwise smashing my window, tearing up the ignition, and then realizing it's a stick they don't know how to drive.

· Registered
452 Posts
Back before portable battery powdered tools were so prevalent the arguement against The Club was that all a would be thief would have to do is hacksaw through the steering wheel and slip The Club right off.

If someone is determined to get the car then using the appropriate tool whether be it a drill or a grinder fitted with appropriate cutting wheel will make short work of any of these steering attached theft-deterrent devices.

I know of a business where catalytic converters have been stolen fives times from work vehicles - portable grinders make it pretty easy. I presume a steering wheel would be able to resist such an attack for all of half a second.

Heck Milwaukee even makes a battery powered bolt cutter.
A couple of months ago I painted my Cat orange with very high temp ceramic paint so the theives just move to the next car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts