Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Currently I drive a 2 door coupe Honda Accord EX-L, 6 speed , CAI, the works. VERY nice car, but my urban needs are changing. I have looked at the SOUL extensively, and my only nit-piks are what seem to be a bit of a hit and miss controversy....

The SOUL4U I have chosen is black on black, which seems pretty cool without making too much of a statement, BUT, I have heard numerous reports of these strange stone chips appearing on new KIA products, also the interior, although, well laid out for the most part, has been noted in several submissios to scratch very easily. I really like this product, and seems very practical, fuel and space efficient for my upcoming marriage with a couple teenagers invloved, but the car I presently own has none of these issues, and me being a mid-fourties guy, would be really put off if I bought into a vehicle that was frought with paint and internal scarring potentials....

I have always found, the best and most valid information are from people who actually own these vehicles, not from any saleperson. It's like when I want to find out what a washer and dryer brands longevity is, I don't consult the manufacturer, I call a repair shop and see what kind of brands seem to be experiencing the most repair issues... Hence, I need your valued input please...

I am right at the point of signing, and cannot afford to make a choice I will regret. For the most part, SOUL owners seem to love their cars, but some reports are making me slightly reticent at this point.

Go ahead, talk me into it, or talk me out of it !

Hi-FiMan

·
Registered
332 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

My opinions are just that, my opinions...but here they are:

Paint: I haven't experienced anything any different than any other vehicle i've ever owned. While the VWs may have had a better resistance to micro-fine clearcoat scratches, for the most part the Soul's paint is identical to the paint on my previous Scion, Ford, Audi, and VW. I have yet to find a car forum for any type car where someone didn't complain about rock chips. But the simple fact is that you're going to get little small rock impressions driving on the interstate or highway, or from following closely behind people. I'm pretty nazi when it comes to keeping my car's paint intact so I always put distance between myself and the car in front of me to avoid any flying debris. I also use a car bra for road trips (or 3M painters tape in a pinch). I think (correct me if i'm wrong) that when most people say "chips" they aren't talking about big chunks of paint flaking off, they're talking about impressions from rocks that hit so hard they knock through the paint and into the plastic of the front nose cap.... Which will be something we'll have to live with on any car until we get nano-paints that can repair themselves.

Dash: I believe you are confusing the models with the red painted dash (sport model in the US) issues. The standard black dash doesn't have a painted on color so it doesn't scratch off. There have been reports of scuffs in the door pillars where the seat belt hits but I haven't noticed anything any different than any other car i've had that had a plastic pillar. Not saying some plastic isn't stronger than others, but every car i've ever had that had plastic under the seat belt retainer had little tiny marks after a while. I do think the Ford and VWs plastic might have been a tiny bit more resistant than the Soul's but the Soul plastic is IDENTICAL to my previous Scion's plastic. My sister has a Honda and I noticed the plastic material in it is pretty much the same too. I think it's just the quality of plastic used in sub 20k cars....nothing new, nothing big. But with the black dash you won't have the scratching issue I think you're referring. I came so close to buying a Sport because I liked that dash.....So glad I didn't. It would drive me crazy (probably not all that far of a drive).

...My 2 cents

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Naw......Dash, even the red Sport dash seems fine. I was worried about it at first, but it appears to be pretty resistant to the day-to-day stuff. It's likely even better off since I started putting some protectants on it. I just noticed you WON'T get away with prying on it or scratching it up with TOOLS, so i'm just a bit more careful with this dash than the old vinyl ones.

Outside paint....Yeah, the front profile does sort of present ALOT of painted surface directly forward. 3M bra wasn't cheap, but put a COMPLETE stop to the tiny chips I noticed.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hifiman

I don't know if you should be concerned or not. I am the one that posted about the alien green Soul yesterday. My family and I are still stuck in Miami because our car malfunctioned. We are going to the dealership they towed the car to find out what's going on. I sure hope is something minor and they are able to fix it soon so we can head home. I'll be afraid this kind of stuff is what I have to look forward for the next 5 years. Hope you have better luck than I did.:(

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
No car is perfect...EVERY car make has issues.....some less, some more....and sometimes a lemon emerges from the bunch....If you are looking for perfection or a near perfect vehicle expect to pay considerably more for a vehicle...if minor annoyances are going to sway your decision then I suggest you save your money and buy a used vehicle....then these issues will seem insignificant. IMO you get value in this vehicle considering what other manufacturers are offering in this price range. Also, you have a solid factory warranty which other auto companies offer as a high cost option.
Consider this also...there are two members on here that have posted a major problem with their vehicle out of over fourteen hundred members, IMO that is very good stats and something you should consider when you make your decision, not on the minor issues of scratches in the plastic or that it develops stone chips. I once owned a vehicle which cost me twice plus the MSRP price of the SOUL and it attracted stones on a daily basis and had trim issues, and mechanical issues but as a daily driver these were the norm. If you intend on buying the SOUL as your daily driver then you have made a fantastic purchase if you are looking for something that holds its value or will be your show car, then I suggest you look elsewhere, as this is not the car for you.
I hear GM and Chrysler are still in business, and that they offer a decent product.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I LOVE my Soul! Now I have had problems, but I take them out on the dealer, not the car. The warranty has saved me each time. I am soooo glad I got my Soul and have learned things happen...being on here and learning the things to look for and ask the dealer about when i take it in is the key. Knowledge that these other owners have has helped A LOT!!! Buy the Soul!!!

·
Registered
995 Posts
soul

I say buy one! I'm coming from a MINI Cooper, so I can tell you about problems. Alien Soul on order and looking forward to it. Greg

·
Registered
302 Posts
I say buy one! I'm coming from a MINI Cooper, so I can tell you about problems. Alien Soul on order and looking forward to it. Greg
Traded my MINI for the SOUL. I thought I'd miss the driving experience of the Cooper, but have been very pleasantly surprised how much fun it is to drive the SOUL. It's an amazing vehicle for the price - I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had a MINI also and I have to agree with aufnaxos, the SOUL, to me, is as fun to drive and you have better visibility since you're sitting higher. And the cockpit is much better organized!

·
Registered
904 Posts
I don't want to waste my time telling you the reasons to get one. I think if you read this forum you will find more than enough reasons to make your purchase.

I'm surprised just seeing one wasn't enough!?

Good luck and welcome!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks

:cool:Well, I certainly appreciate all the feedback. Yes, no car is ever perfect, they all have something that is a concern. Just for the record, I bought the SOUL 4U Exclaim today, theres just something about it's aura I find appealing. I never was out looking for anyone to take away my chances of owning one, but with some hindsight, always like to check a few days ahead with owners who drive these things everyday. It seems you all love it, I think I will too !

thanks for the welcome. Where's that cold air intake? LOL

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hifiman

I made an entry a couple of days ago about my Soul completely dying on me in Miami. It ended up been a loose wire (thank God). The service department at the Kendall Kia in Miami was very professional and efficient. They promised to take care of us right away and they did. I was very pleased with the outcome. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
@ajd1995
Good thing it was just something minor and you're back on your wheels again.

@ hifiman
I was like you in that I came here before I bought the car to see what people have been saying and checking out the section where members post problems encountered with their cars.

I've only had it a week but I don't regret buying one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
@ hifiman
I was like you in that I came here before I bought the car to see what people have been saying and checking out the section where members post problems encountered with their cars.

I've only had it a week but I don't regret buying one.
There have been several of these kinds of posts, and I find it comforting that everyone is seemingly happy... no, THRILLED with their decision. For me, I plan on going Saturday to see what kind of trouble I can get into, the decision to buy one has now become a 'Yes' - My holdup now is doing the proper research so I don't get screwed on the purchase and the uncertainty of my negotiation skills.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I just watched hail slam into my Soul this weekend. Went back inside after the golf ball sized started and hit me in the head(trying to protect her). I do not have any paint damage on her at all from the horrible scene I had to watch. I wash it every weekend so I would know. I enjoy this car just as much as my old 94 Acura Vigor. When I am driving I feel like I am still in the luxury sports sedan, just a little taller. The seatbelt nicks on the side panel is just a matter of taking off you seatbelt slower. I very much enjoy this car so much. At times I want to take her out to a field to just play, hang out and watch the sun go down. I think it is my new child or relationship. I am not sure which! LoL
Good luck deciding!!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Oh that would suck!....I've never seen "real" hail (San Diego). Just the idea of something like ICE CUBES falling from the sky and allover the car from thousands of feet up. I'd end up trying to get the ROOF done with 3M....and I'd try and figure out how to cover Soul's roof/bonnet with some sort of makeshift BUBBLE WRAP cover.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just watched hail slam into my Soul this weekend. Went back inside after the golf ball sized started and hit me in the head(trying to protect her). I do not have any paint damage on her at all from the horrible scene I had to watch. I wash it every weekend so I would know. I enjoy this car just as much as my old 94 Acura Vigor. When I am driving I feel like I am still in the luxury sports sedan, just a little taller. The seatbelt nicks on the side panel is just a matter of taking off you seatbelt slower. I very much enjoy this car so much. At times I want to take her out to a field to just play, hang out and watch the sun go down. I think it is my new child or relationship. I am not sure which! LoL
Good luck deciding!!
Last June we had a bad hailstorm here. It caused $3200 damage to my wife's Subaru Impreza. There were over 200 dings in the hood alone. Thank God for insurance. They used a process to fix all the dings and it looked brand new afterward.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Oh that would suck!....I've never seen "real" hail (San Diego). Just the idea of something like ICE CUBES falling from the sky and allover the car from thousands of feet up. I'd end up trying to get the ROOF done with 3M....and I'd try and figure out how to cover Soul's roof/bonnet with some sort of makeshift BUBBLE WRAP cover.
Yes it was scary. It started out pea size when I ran outside to cover her up. Then as soon as I got something on the hood to protect at least the paint it started golfball size. I have an appt. set up with the insurance to have work on started on Monday. They told me only 2k in damages. No paint damage. Woot Woot! The sad part is I will have to drive a rental because it will take at least 2 days for the PDR guy.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
wow - the mini-cooper was an option for me so glad to see i made the right choice.. and i have only had my soul since yesterday but am really amazed how solid a ride it is and how it handles... thought i would notice a huge difference between this and a 4runner but has not been the case so far.. although the seat/head rest adjustments are one area b/c 4runner had so many that seemed to fit into every nook of your body, whereas, the soul definitely has some gaps lol

ps - just saw hail comment and we got some here early last night and i was freaking out b/c car was like 2 hours old but no damage - whew!

·
Registered
448 Posts
ps - just saw hail comment and we got some here early last night and i was freaking out b/c car was like 2 hours old but no damage - whew!
Lucky! In about 9hrs will be my 2month signing/drive off day! I am giving her a good inside treatment before she goes to the shop on Monday. She will be getting the cellulite out! No more fatty here! LoL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts